Tara McDonald with Thierry Garcia, 2013
|Birth name||Tara Jane McDonald|
September 9, 1987 |
Dartford, United Kingdom
|Occupation(s)||Radio personality on Dash Radio|
|Labels||Mercury Records, Universal Music Europe|
|Associated acts||Snoop Dogg, Axwell, David Guetta, Armand van Helden, Nicky Romero, Todd Terry, Kenny Dope, DJ Sneak, Funkerman, Roberto Bellarosa, Quentin Mosimann, Angger Dimas|
Tara Jane McDonald is an English-Irish songwriter and vocalist signed to Mercury/Universal records and equal rights & LGBTQ activist. Tara achieved success working and co-writing with Armand Van Helden and Axwell on the chart hits 'My My My' and 'Feel the Vibe'. Both these projects debuted at No. 1 in the club charts before peaking in the UK sales charts at No. 12 and No. 16, respectively. She has also collaborated with Todd Terry co-writing the song 'Get Down' and with David Guetta co-writing 'Delirious' and 'You Are Not Alone' on his platinum selling album "Pop Life". 'Delirious' was one of the most heavily played records on European radio throughout 2008.
McDonald hosts her own dance music radio show called "I Like This Beat" (formerly called "Shut Up & Dance") which is a one-hour show currently syndicated in 40+ countries and 50+ stations across the world and on dance music stations and is also a podcast available as a free download through iTunes worldwide.
At the start of 2012, Tara worked as an assistant vocal coach on the first series of the TV show The Voice in Belgium alongside the French pop star Quentin Mosimann. The winner of this series, Roberto Bellarosa, was from their team and went on to sign a recording contract with Sony records.
McDonald signed a three album deal with Mercury/Universal in 2012 and her debut album will be released in 2016. In 2014, McDonald released a new single featuring Snoop Dogg called "Vay-K". Tara McDonald is the current host of "I Like This Beat" on Dash Radio.
- 1 Biography
- 1.1 Early life and career beginnings
- 1.2 Strictly Come Dancing, David Guetta and Playboy (2005–2012)
- 1.3 Radio Show, The Voice and New Album (2012–2013)
- 1.4 2013 'Shooting Star', Zaho & "Olympia", Paris
- 1.5 2014 'Ambassador of Paris PRIDE' (LGBT), 'Snoop Dogg'
- 1.6 2015 'Teleton' Ecuador
- 1.7 2016 "I Need A Miracle" 'Europride Anthem' & "Love Me"
- 2 Discography
- 3 Singles
- 4 References
- 5 External links
Early life and career beginnings
Tara was born in Dartford, England to Irish/English parents. Tara is named after the Queen of Ireland & the Hill of Tara. Her names translates into English as star or leader. At the age of 9, Tara performed in Les Miserables as Eponine at The Palace Theatre in the West End of London. She won an international singing competition "The Danny Kaye Award" presented by Audrey Hepburn representing Great Britain and won. The song Tara performed was entitled 'Make Your Own Rainbow'. Her prize was to be a child ambassador for UNICEF for a year promoting & campaigning for the "rights of the child" throughout Europe and also Africa. Tara performed in the NYMT (National Youth Music Theatre) production of "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" with Jude Law for the Edinburgh festival. Tara won the juvenile lead part in a new musical called St. Bernadette at the Dominion Theatre in London, this part was also played by Martine McCutcheon. Tara was schooled at the Italia Conti stage school then later moved to the BRIT School.
Tara worked for the charity, Combined Services Entertainment as a "forces sweetheart" providing entertainment for the UK armed forces around the world. Performing in far flung destinations such as Afghanistan, Iraq, Sierra Leona, Sarajevo/Bosnia, Guam and the Falkland Islands to name a few. The aim of these performances was to act as a link back home and escapism for the men and woman stationed overseas.
In 2000, Planet Funk asked Tara to perform with them their big dance anthem "Chase the Sun" at the MTV Ibiza dance festival alongside Basement Jaxx and Faithless, which proved to be a big success. Tara continued to write songs for other artists and pay the rent by working as a session singer for a range of different artists/tours and TV shows. She co wrote "D-Side's" debut UK Top 5 single "Stronger Together", with Cliff Randall & Simon Britton and went on to hit Number 1 in Japan and various other countries throughout South East Asia and was the title track of the album.
Strictly Come Dancing, David Guetta and Playboy (2005–2012)
In 2005 when McDonald was 18 she co-wrote and sang "Feel The Vibe ('Til The Morning Comes)" with Axwell, which became one of the biggest dance tracks of the year. It peaked at number 1 in UK Dance Singles Chart and number 16 in the UK Singles Chart No. 16 Finland No. 62 The Netherlands No. 4 France club chart in August 2005.. Tara's next release was "My My My" with Armand Van Helden in 2006 which entered the UK commercial charts at number 11. Both tracks became big dance anthems and saw McDonald perform these live on Pete Tong BBC1 dance show in Ibiza.
In 2007 McDonald co-wrote two tracks on David Guetta's third studio album, Pop Life, which peaked at number two in France and was certified platinum by the SNEP Pop Life, resulting in the hit single "Delirious" released in 2008, was one of the most played records on European radio in 2008, and an album track entitled "You're Not Alone". McDonald also featured in the music video for this single.
2007 also saw McDonald working with Bryan Ferry on his Dylanesque album backing singing and arranging some of the vocal harmonies. They met previously when McDonald was backing singing for the Band Du lac on a special charity concert where McDonald was backing singing for Gary Brooker, Eric Clapton, Roger Walters. McDonald sang backup on Bryan's next studio album a work of Dylan covers and toured with him for a year.
In 2009 McDonald featured on and co wrote the song "Revolution" by Vibers, (written as the anthem for the electronic music festival Liberty Parade) the song won best musical production (of the electronic genre) in Romania at the Nights Ro Gala Awards 2009.
In 2010, McDonald collaborated on many new records "I'm Your Goddess" with David Vendetta, a dance track with a middle Eastern feel featuring Alim Qasinov from Azerbaijan on DJ Centre Records. "Elevated" with the Australian dance duo TV Rock, "Everything", "Funkerman", "Beats for You" with Mischa Daniels on Amarda Music, "Set me on Fire" with Sidney Samson on Spinnin Records.
In 2011, McDonald released "Dynamite" with Sidney Samson on Spinnin Records and the remix by Nicky Romero became one of the most successful club tracks of that year with over 2 million views on YouTube. Tara's next record "Generation 24/7" was released though Hed Kandi records on 26/12/11.
McDonald released a new track with David Guetta and Afrojack in 2011 called "Pandemonium" from the 2011 FMIF Ibiza mix album which reached No. 3 France, No. 17 Austria No. 39 Spain and No. 2 Switzerland; which was released on FMIF Ibiza mix compilation on EMI Records. She also co wrote and sang the anthem to Tomorrowland (festival) 2010 with Dimitri Vegas, Like Mike and Dada Life called "Tomorrow/Give into The Night" which was an international club hit as well as a commercial radio hit in Belgium which peaked at top No. 20. Tara wrote the vocal melody and lyric for the song and also recorded & produced the vocals for the track. In 2010 McDonald was voted the best voice of the dance scene by the readers of "Only For DJ's" magazine in France.
In 2011, McDonald performed at the festival 24hrs of Burning House (held in Smederevo Fortress, Serbia), alongside Junior Jack, Sandy Rivera, Chocolate Puma, Steve Edwards and many other artists. It was her second time visiting Serbia.
McDonald performed at the "Girls First" concert by children's charity Plan in Amsterdam with the biggest pop stars from The Netherlands and she was the only non-Dutch artist to perform on the night. The concert was to raise awareness for equal rights for girls in developing countries and was televised through Avro. The United Nations declared 11 October to be an international day to put "Girls First".
Radio Show, The Voice and New Album (2012–2013)
In 2012, McDonald started her own weekly radio show every Monday 1 am - 2am called "Shut Up & Dance" (now recalled "I Like This Beat") on FG Radio (France & Belgium). She is the only non DJ to have her radio show on France's coolest dance music station alongside, David Guetta, Armin van Buurin & Laidback Luke. In 2013 the show was renamed to "I Like This Beat" and is on radio in 45 countries across the world each week, plus onboard Emirates airlines and as a free podcast on iTunes.
In 2012, McDonald signed a two album deal with Mercury/Universal and the first single "Give Me More" was one of the most played tracks on European commercial radio during the summer period.
2013 'Shooting Star', Zaho & "Olympia", Paris
She released her second solo single "Shooting Star" featuring platinum selling Francophone artist Zaho. The song is a duet sang in English and French and also appears on the reedition of Zaho's "Contagieuse" album released at the end of 2013.
McDonald was the only non-Dutch artist to be asked to perform at Strijders Voor De Liefde "Warriors For Love", a special televised concert to raise awareness for equal rights in love for LGBT.
During this year she performed at the Olympia (Paris) twice, for a special electronic party called "So Happy in Paris" and also performing "Shooting Star" with Zaho at her concert with full live band.
2014 'Ambassador of Paris PRIDE' (LGBT), 'Snoop Dogg'
She was honoured to be given the role of "La Marienne" (the mother) of LGBT Paris Pride. Her duties included a presentation for a press conference, delivering a speech to open the march in front of 500,000 people, performing on the main stage and delivering a speech to close the years event. She performed an electric set at Ultra music festival in South Korea on the live stage alongside M.I.A. and Far East Movement. McDonald's performance at the Exit Festival sister festival Sea Dance, won her rave reviews, performing on the main stage.
2015 'Teleton' Ecuador
McDonald released "Happy Hour" on a compilation album "TPMZ"together with hit French TV show TPMP, the song co written by McDonald, legendary French producer Tefa, Trackstorm & Ben Adams from UK boy band A1. The track was picked to be a lead single from the album and was decided to be released ahead of McDonald's solo single "Girls Just Wanna Funk".  
Tara McDonald's dance music radio show "I Like This Beat" was shortlisted as best Big Room/EDM radio show on the Mixcloud online radio awards alongside Avicii, Nicky Romero, Laidback Luke and Oliver Heldens. The award was won by Ultra Music live sets radio.
Tara McDonald performed live at the Teleton Ecuador and was the only international artist invited to perform at the televised charity event raising money for sick children in the country. Tara showcased her new single "I Need A Miracle' and also sang some of her greatest hits. The show went on to raise over $1.5 million.     
2016 "I Need A Miracle" 'Europride Anthem' & "Love Me"
McDonald releases new single "I Need A Miracle" through Mercury Universal Records in France and Bip Records in Belgium. It was released on the 15th January 2016 through Mercury Records (Universal Music Group). The song is a cover and was written by Rob Davis and Victor Imbres which was originally released by Coco Star by Greenlight Recordings in 1996 and re-recorded for EMI/Positiva in 1997. This track is also known worldwide under the guise of the illegal mashup "Toca's Miracle" a bootleg by Fragma which was a number 1 hit in 14 countries worldwide in 2000.
The song is produced by French DJ producer Adam Trigger and Berlin's Nick Talos and Tara McDonald who also vocally arranged and structured the track, the song was vocally produced by Dee Adam in London. Mcdonald chose to release this cover as its one of the biggest dance anthems in the world and thought the lyrics talking about a deeper love were really culturally significant at a time where there is so much war and religious fraction. She saw this song as a way to bring people together. "I have always loved this song, it's so powerful and I think it's a record that everybody in the world knows".
"I Need a Miracle" reached No. 1 in the Belgium digital charts. No. 20 in the Italian dance charts, No. 15 in the French digital charts & No. 1 in the Portugal global iTunes charts and is the official anthem of EuroPride 2016.
Tara McDonald opened Europride at Dam square Amsterdam singing the official anthem twice, once on her own and the second time with Gregor Salto who provided the official Europride remix to give that Dutch touch! McDonald also performed the "I Need A Miracle" at the Human Rights concert also in Dam Square, Amsterdam with full orchestra. The programme was show twice on AvroTros.
Tara also collaborated with multi platinum selling Spanish singer/songwriter Juan Magan on the single "Love Me" which she co wrote and also features on alongside Mexican boyband Urband 5. The video was shot by legendary director Pedro Torres and was shot in different locations in Mexico. The song hit no 1 in 5 countries in its first day of release in Latin America.
- "Love Me" - Juan Magan featuring Urband5 & Tara McDonald - Universal Music Mexico - 2016
- "I Need A Miracle" - Tara McDonald - Universal Music France - 2016
- "Happy Hour" - Tara McDonald featuring Tefa and Trackstorm - Universal Music France - 2015
- "Till The End Matt Nash featuring Tara McDonald Code Red Records 2015
- "Vay-K" - Tara McDonald featuring Snoop Dogg - Universal Music France - 2014
- "Shooting Star" - Tara McDonald featuring Zaho - Universal Music France - 2013
- "Fix of You" - Tara McDonald - Universal Music France - 2013
- "Give Me More" - Tara McDonald - Universal Music France - 2012
- "Pandemonium" - David Guetta and Afrojack featuring Tara McDonald - EMI Records - 2011
- "Generation 24/7" - Tara McDonald - Hed Kandi - 2011
- "All Alone" - Quentin Mosimann and Tara McDonald - Universal Records - 2011
- "Dynamite" - Sidney Samson vs Tara McDonald - Spinnin Records - 2011 (co-written by Tara McDonald)
- "Set Me on Fire" - Sidney Samson vs Tara McDonald - Spinnin Records - 2011 (co-written by Tara McDonald)
- "Tomorrow (Give into The Night)" - Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike, Dada Life and Tara McDonald - Smash The House - 2010
- "Can't Stop Singing" - Mowgli and Tara McDonald - Data Records - 2010 (co-written by Tara McDonald)
- "Beats For You" - Mischa Daniels and Tara McDonald - Armada Music - 2010 (co-written by Tara McDonald)
- "Everything" - Funkerman and Tara McDonald - Flamingo Records - 2010 (co-written by Tara McDonald)
- "I'm Your Goddess" - David Vendetta vs Tara McDonald featuring Alim Gasimov - DJ Centre - 2010 (co-written by Tara McDonald)
- "Elevated" - TV Rock and Tara McDonald - Neon Records - 2010 (co-written by Tara McDonald)
- "La La Land" - Joey Negro and Tara McDonald - Blanco Negro Records - 2010 (co-written by Tara McDonald)
- "Shake It" - Lee Cabrera vs Thomas Gold and Tara McDonald - CR2 Records - 2009
- "Revolution" - The Vibers and Tara McDonald - Roton - 2009 (co-written by Tara McDonald)
- "Love Crazy" - Warren Clarke and Tara McDonald - Hed Kandi - 2008 (co-written by Tara McDonald)
- "Delirious" (from the album Pop Life) - David Guetta featuring Tara McDonald - EMI - 2008 (co-written by Tara McDonald)
- "You're Not Alone" (from the album Pop Life) - David Guetta featuring Tara McDonald - EMI - 2008 (co-written by Tara McDonald)
- "Play On" - Todd Terry Allstars featuring Tara McDonald - Strictly Rhythm Records - 2007 (co-written by Tara McDonald)
- "Get Down" - Todd Terry Allstars featuring Tara McDonald - Strictly Rhythm Records - 2007 (co-written by Tara McDonald)
- "Take Me I'm Yours & Let Me In" (from the album Music Takes Me) - Stonebridge - Stoneboy Records - 2007 (co-written by Tara McDonald)
- "My My My (Funktuary)" - Armand Van Helden featuring Tara McDonald - Southern Fried Records - 2006
- "Feel The Vibe (Till The Morning Comes)" - Axwell featuring Tara McDonald - Data Records/Ministry of Sound - 2005 (co-written by Tara McDonald)
As lead artist
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"My My My"
(Armand Van Helden featuring Tara McDonald)
(David Guetta featuring Tara McDonald)
|"I'm Your Goddess"
(David Vendetta vs. Tara McDonald featuring Alim)
|"Tomorrow (Give into The Night)"
(Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike, Dada Life and Tara McDonald)
|"Beats For You"
(Mischa Daniels and Tara McDonald)
|"Give Me More"||2012||—||72||107||—||—||—||—|
(Tara McDonald featuring Zaho)
(Tara McDonald featuring Snoop Dogg)
|"I Need a Miracle"||2016||—||—||47
|"—" denotes a recording that did not chart or was not released in that territory.|
- [dead link]
- "Tara McDonald". Universalmusic.fr. Retrieved 15 February 2015.
- "iTunes - Music - Vay-K (feat. Snoop Dogg) - Single by Tara McDonald". iTunes. Retrieved 15 February 2015.
- "Tara McDonald in Dubai - Nightlife Features". Timeoutdubai.com. Retrieved 15 February 2015.
- "Strictly on Song". Strictlydancingfansite.com. Retrieved 2013-05-01.
- "Roxy Music". Vivaroxymusic.com. Retrieved 2013-05-01.
- "Only For DJ's - Meilleure voix féminine, Tara McDonald". Onlyfordj.fr. Retrieved 2011-12-03.
- "Tara McDonald wins 'Only For DJs' 'Best Voice Award'". Chatter-fest.com. Retrieved 2011-12-03.
- "Tara McDonald wins 'Only For DJs' 'Best Voice Award'". Digg.com. Retrieved 2011-12-03.
- "Tara McDonald: The voice of an angel behind countless clubland hits steps up to the DMC plate". Dmcworld.net. Retrieved 2011-12-03.
- "Tara McDonald is cover model for French Playboy March 2010 issue". Houseplanet.dj. Retrieved 2011-12-03.
-  Archived 25 May 2014 at the Wayback Machine.
-  Archived 22 January 2011 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Clarence Bekker ft. Tara McDonald performing @ Girls First Concert Amsterdam video". Nme.com. Retrieved 2013-05-01.
- "Tara is one of the most successful vocalists in the world". Radiofgusa.com. Retrieved 2013-05-01.
- "Tara McDonald joins belgiums biggest tv show the voice". Mn2.com. Retrieved 2013-05-01.
- "Beatport artist Page". Dj.beatport.com. Retrieved 2013-05-01.