An old American pack of Tareyton cigarettes
|Owner||R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company|
|Produced by||R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company|
|Markets||United States, Finland, Germany, Switzerland|
|Previous owners||American Tobacco Company|
|Tagline||"There's something about them you'll like", "Us Tareyton smokers would rather fight than switch!", "If you could put Tareyton's filter on any other cigarette, you'd have a better tasting cigarette (but not as good as a Tareyton)"|
Tareyton began as a variation of Herbert Tareyton cork-tipped non-filter cigarettes (whose famous slogan was, "There's something about them you'll like"). As filters gained in popularity in the late 1950s, Tareyton was created in 1954 as the filtered version of Herbert Tareyton, minus the cork tip. Tareyton is currently produced by R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company, and can be found on the internet and specialty tobacco stores, but is no longer sufficiently popular to be stocked in many stores or receive marketing and advertising from R.J. Reynolds.
Tareyton's filter features a unique two-part design of fiber and activated charcoal.
Tareyton was perhaps better known for its advertisements than its sales. In the mid-1960s, Tareyton's TV and print advertisements featured the grammatically incorrect, but immensely popular slogan, "Us Tareyton smokers would rather fight than switch!" Commercials and magazine advertisements featured Tareyton smokers with black eyes, supposedly to symbolize their willingness to fight to defend their brand and their devotion to the product. The slogan ran from 1963 until 1981.
In the late 1960s, Tareyton commercials featured unsuccessful, but amusing, attempts by frustrated smokers to attach Tareyton's filter to other brands of cigarettes. The new slogan was, "If you could put Tareyton's filter on any other cigarette, you'd have a better tasting cigarette (but not as good as a Tareyton)".
In the 1930s, various cigarette cards were created to promote the original Herbert Tareyton brand.
In popular culture
- "BrandTareyton - Cigarettes Pedia". www.cigarettespedia.com.
- "Tareyton". www.zigsam.at.
- "Herbert Tareyton". www.zigsam.at.
- "Tennyson". www.zigsam.at.
- ""There's something about them you'll like": The Continuing Adventures of Herbert Tareyton". Readex. Retrieved 2018-03-22.
- "Gallery of Herbert Tareyton and filtered Tareyton marketing campaigns".
- "BrandHerbert Tareyton - Cigarettes Pedia". www.cigarettespedia.com. Retrieved 2018-03-22.
- GaryW48 (2012-12-09), Tareyton Cigarette TV Commercial - 1967, retrieved 2018-03-22
- "Tareyton cigarette ads". www.vintageadsandstuff.com. Retrieved 2018-03-22.
- "Vintage Tobacco/ Cigarette Ads of the 1950s (Page 24)". www.vintageadbrowser.com. Retrieved 2018-03-22.
- "Martha Stewart & Tareyton Cigarettes | BEACH". beachpackagingdesign.com. Retrieved 2018-03-22.
- "The Tareyton Cigarettes Anthro-Pack Mascot | BEACH". BEACH. 2011-04-01. Retrieved 2018-03-22.
- "Tareyton Cigarettes". Advertisement Gallery. Retrieved 2018-03-22.
- P Oktori (2012-08-12), Tareyton cigarettes TV commercial 1967, retrieved 2018-03-22
- Classic Commercials (2014-03-10), 4 Classic Retro Tareyton Cigarettes Commercials, retrieved 2018-03-22
- moreads (2013-09-03), Tareyton cigarettes commercial, retrieved 2018-03-22
- "Collectors.com - Trading Cards - 1939 - HERBERT TAREYTON". www.collectors.com. Retrieved 2018-03-22.
|This product article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|