Cover of the Sixth Blu-ray volume of Tari Tari as published by Pony Canyon
|Genre||Music, Slice of life|
|Written by||Evergreen (original work), Tohru Naomura (construction)|
|Illustrated by||Tomiyaki Kagisora|
|Published by||Square Enix|
|Original run||June 2012 – November 2012|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Masakazu Hashimoto|
|Music by||Shirō Hamaguchi|
|Original network||ITC, KBS, tvk|
|English network||Anime Network|
|Original run||July 1, 2012 – September 23, 2012|
Tari Tari is a 2012 Japanese anime television series produced by P.A.Works and directed by Masakazu Hashimoto. The series aired in Japan between July 1 and September 23, 2012 on TV Kanagawa, and was also simulcast by Crunchyroll. The series is licensed in North America by Sentai Filmworks. A manga adaptation illustrated by Tomiyaki Kagisora was serialized in Square Enix's Gangan Joker in 2012.
The story centers around five Japanese high school students who are too young to be called adults, but who no longer think of themselves as children. Wakana Sakai once took music lessons, but she withdrew from music after losing her mother. Konatsu Miyamoto is a positive-thinking girl who loves singing and spends time after school at the vocal music club. Sawa Okita is a spirited archery club member who dreams of becoming a horse rider. Taichi Tanaka is a chronically late badminton team member who lives with his college student sister. "Wien" just transferred into Wakana's class after 12 years abroad in Austria. Music brings Wakana, Konatsu, Sawa and the others together into an ensemble during their last summer in high school. The story is set in Fujisawa and Kamakura, Kanagawa.
- Wakana Sakai (坂井 和奏 Sakai Wakana)
- Voiced by: Ayahi Takagaki
- Wakana lives with her father and her pet cat, Dora. Despite the fact that she is apparently very good at singing, she refuses to do so to the point of turning down Konatsu's attempt to recruit her into her new choir club. Her mother died when she was in her last year of middle school and hid her sickness from her to allow Wakana to focus on her entrance exams and not worry about her, but then she started living in regret for not being able to properly bid farewell to her daughter. When her father shows Wakana her mother' notes regarding a song she was composing to her, she finally manages to move forward and join the club as a regular member while dedicating herself to finish her mother's song. She is in the same after-school class as Wien. She aims to attend music school after graduation and follow in her mother's footsteps.
- Konatsu Miyamoto (宮本 来夏 Miyamoto Konatsu)
- Voiced by: Asami Seto
- A short, earnest girl who loves to sing and dance. She was previously affiliated with the choir club until she had a falling out with their supervisor, who did not allow her to sing after she had experienced a bout of stage fright the previous year's recital. After that incident, Konatsu began training herself by performing in the public park. She decides to create her own club so she can keep singing, but when it falls too short on members, she combines it with Taichi's badminton club to form the "Choir and sometimes Badminton Club". After graduation, she goes to college and joins a club there.
- Sawa Okita (沖田 紗羽 Okita Sawa)
- Voiced by: Saori Hayami
- Sawa is Konatsu's best friend. Apart from being an equestrian with her horse, Sabure, Sawa is also a member of the archery club, and is the first member invited by Konatsu to join the latter's new music club. She wishes to become a professional jockey in the future, which often leads to disagreements with her father, who believes her to be simply playing around. To complicate matters, Sawa learns that there is an upper weight limit for students who wish to join the equestrian school and is therefore unable to move on with her dream, even after her father agrees to support her. She drops out of school before graduation in order to attend an equestrian school abroad. Nonetheless, despite leaving Japan and studying abroad prior to the official graduation ceremony, Sawa is still allowed to graduate from Shirahamazaka High School. She is often seen wearing pink and gray headphones.
- Taichi Tanaka (田中 大智 Tanaka Taichi)
- Voiced by: Nobunaga Shimazaki
- The sole member of the badminton club, Taichi is a very serious yet insensitive person in matters regarding girls. He hopes to become a pro badminton player someday. Taichi is also good at singing. He is terrible at drawing, having once been encouraged by Konatsu to draw again before she saw Taichi's drawing ability and then told him to never draw again. He develops a crush on Sawa.
- Atsuhiro "Wien" Maeda (前田 敦博 / ウィーン Maeda Atsuhiro / Wīn)
- Voiced by: Natsuki Hanae
- Wien (German for "Vienna") is a returnee who transfers into Shirahamazaka High School after spending twelve years in Austria. Due to his time away, he is very unfamiliar with Japanese customs, and is seen always consulting books about it, with often humorous results. He is in the same after-school class as Wakana and is obsessed with a super sentai show called "Nettou Hero Ganbaraigers". He often writes letters to a young and sickly Austrian boy named Jan, who he left his Red Ganbaraiger toy with. However, in the anime, the letters show the name "Yang" instead of "Jan". After graduation, he returns to Austria.
- Keisuke Sakai (坂井 圭介 Sakai Keisuke)
- Voiced by: Kenji Hamada
- Wakana's father.
- Mahiru Sakai (坂井 まひる Sakai Mahiru)
- Voiced by: Sayaka Ōhara
- Wakana's late mother, who died just before Wakana entered high school. She was part of the original choir club alongside Naoko and Shiho. She wrote the Condor Queen's best hit, "Amigo! Amigo!", which is also Konatsu's favorite song.
- Naoko Takakura (高倉 直子 Takakura Naoko)
- Voiced by: Atsuko Tanaka
- Responsible for Shirahamazaka High's vocal club, who is put in charge of Konatsu's choir club after its adviser, the principal, is hospitalized following a bicycle accident. She is often harsh towards Konatsu, seeing music as something that should not be treated like a game. She was Mahiru's friend in high school and has not been able to get over her death.
- Tomoko Takahashi (高橋 智子 Takahashi Tomoko)
- Voiced by: Akiko Kimura
- The homeroom teacher of Wakana and the other's class, who is currently on maternity leave after giving birth to a baby girl.
- Makoto Miyamoto (宮本 誠 Miyamoto Makoto)
- Voiced by: Yoshitsugu Matsuoka
- Konatsu's younger brother who is often blackmailed by Konatsu into helping out with her club. He is a member of the student council.
- Shiho Okita (沖田 志保 Okita Shiho)
- Voiced by: Mamiko Noto
- Sawa's mother, who enjoys surfing. Like Sawa, she has a bad habit of patting girls on the butt for encouragement. She was Mahiru and Naoko's underclassman in high school.
- Shōichi Okita (沖田 正一 Okita Shōichi)
- Voiced by: Hiroyuki Kinoshita
- Sawa's father, who owns the temple near the school where he lives with his family.
- Tayoru Ikezaki (池崎 頼 Ikezaki Tayoru)
- Voiced by: Katsuhisa Hoki
- Shirahamazaka High's principal and the adviser of Konatsu's club.
- Haruka Tanaka (田中 晴香 Tanaka Haruka)
- Voiced by: Ayako Kawasumi
- Taichi's older sister who takes care of him. She is a college student.
A manga adaptation illustrated by Tomiyaki Kagisora was serialized in Square Enix's Gangan Joker magazine between the June 2012 and November 2012 issues. The first tankōbon volume was released on July 21, 2012.
The 13-episode anime television series is an original creation by Evergreen, produced by P.A.Works and directed by Masakazu Hashimoto, aired in Japan between July 1 and September 23, 2012 on TV Kanagawa, and was also simulcast on Crunchyroll. Sentai Filmworks have licensed the series in North America.
The series has two main pieces of theme music: one opening theme and two ending themes. The opening theme is "Dreamer" by AiRI. The main ending theme is "Shiokaze no Harmony" (潮風のハーモニー Sea Breeze's Harmony) by Ayahi Takagaki, Asami Seto, Saori Hayami, Nobunaga Shimazaki, and Natsuki Hanae. The second ending theme, "Kokoro no Senritsu" (心の旋律), is sung by Asami Seto and Saori Hayami for episode two, and later joined by Ayahi Takagaki, Nobunaga Shimazaki, and Natsuki Hanae for episode six.
There are also several insert songs used throughout the anime. Listed below under order of appearance:
- In episode 1, "Reflectia" (the opening theme from the True Tears anime series) is sung by Shirahamazaka High School Vocal Club, and "Goin' My Way!!" is sung by Asami Seto.
- In episode 4, "Amigo! Amigo!" is by Condor Queens, and "Hau'oli♪" is by Asami Seto, Saori Hayami, Nobunaga Shimazaki, and Natsuki Hanae.
- In episode 10, "Nettō Hero Ganbaraiger" is by Ayahi Takagaki, Asami Seto, Saori Hayami, Nobunaga Shimazaki, and Natsuki Hanae (collectively credited as Nishinohashi Hero Shoutenger in that episode) which is known to be 'Shirahamazaka High School Choir'.
- In episode 13, "Radiant Melody" is by Shirahamazaka High School Choir.
|1||"Running and Inviting"
"Tobidashitari Sasottari" (飛び出したり 誘ったり)
|July 1, 2012|
|On a school day, where a class gives flowers to their teacher, Tomoko Takahashi, who is heading on maternity leave, a boy named Atsuhiro "Wien" Maeda transfers into the class and is guided around the school by badminton player Taichi Tanaka. Meanwhile, a girl named Konatsu Miyamoto quits the choir club after becoming tired of not being able to sing and aspires to create a new choir club, of which she'll need five members. After managing to convince her best friend, Sawa Okita, to join and forcing her brother to apply as well, Konatsu tries to convince her other friend Wakana Sakai to join, but she doesn't want to sing for personal reasons. As Konatsu goes into town to practice her singing, her voice brings Wakana, Sawa, Taichi and Wien together to the same point.|
|2||"Gathering and Struggling"
"Asettari Agaitari" (焦ったり あがいたり)
|July 8, 2012|
|Sawa brings Wakana and Konatsu to her house, showing Wakana what happened to Konatsu during last year's recital and getting her sign up for their new club in name. Putting their heads together, they manage to gather enough members to present to the principal, Tayoru Ikezaki, who approves it when he sees Wakana is involved and becomes its adviser. Afterwards, Konatsu gets Wakana to help her decide what kind of song they should practice, eventually settling on a song she used to hear her mother sing to her. However, the vice-principal, Naoko Takakura, initially objects to the song for unknown reasons. When Tayoru goes missing when the club needs to go to a joint rehearsal, Konatsu sends Wakana ahead of her while she waits for him. With Tayoru out due to a bicycle accident, Konatsu and Wakana get Tomoko to accompany them and arrive at the theater, but the rest of the club is stuck in traffic. Not wanting to be deterred, Konatsu and Sawa go out on their own, with Wakana backing them up on piano, and manage to pull through. Afterwards, Naoko is put in charge of advising the club while Tayoru recovers.|
|3||"Swinging and Meeting"
"Futtari Deattari" (振ったり 出会ったり)
|July 15, 2012|
|As Wakana is approached by a strange foreigner on her way to school, Konatsu once again finds herself short on members as many of them suddenly quit, with Naoko threatening to dissolve the choir club, along with Taichi's badminton club, unless they can find sufficient members. Taichi manages to recruit Wien and takes him to his apartment, where he meets his sister. The next day, Taichi challenges Konatsu to a 2 vs 3 badminton match in order to obtain each others' members for their club, which inevitably results in the choir club's victory. As a compromise, Konatsu decides to make the club a joint choir and badminton club. As they once again go to Tayoru for his approval, he mentions a previous choir club which Wakana's mother was in. Although Naoko stands against the club, Taichi and Wakana help stand against her and Tayoru approves it. Upon hearing of a World Music Festival being held in the village, Konatsu decides to enter the contest. Meanwhile, Wakana is once again approached by the strange foreigner.|
|4||"Getting Angry and Dancing"
"Okottari Odottari" (怒ったり 踊ったり)
|July 22, 2012|
|As Konatsu meets the Condor Queens, which was the band that got her into music, Wien spots Wakana being chased after by the foreigner, who turns out to be the third member of Condor Queens and an acquaintance of Wakana's late mother, Mahiru. Meanwhile, Sawa starts to become annoyed with Konatsu as she appears to want to spend more time with the Condor Queens than practice for the choir club, threatening to quit if she doesn't take things seriously. Wanting to make amends, Konatsu searches for a stage to perform on, which is thankfully registered by Wakana, and manages to make up with Sawa. On the day of the music festival while the others perform on their modest stage, the Condor Queens give Wakana a letter Mahiru gave them when she was born.|
|5||"Throwing Away and Holding On"
"Sutetari Suterarenakattari" (捨てたり 捨てられなかったり)
|July 29, 2012|
|As the gang show their support to Taichi as he participates in a badminton tournament, Wakana appears to be occupied by the letter she received. The next day, Wakana runs into Sawa's mother, Shiho, who shows her an old photo of Mahiru in high school with Naoko. Remembering how she had often argued with Mahiru over music before her death due to focusing on her exams, Wakana asks her father, who is to go on a short business trip, to get rid of the piano in her room. As Wakana returns home with the piano gone and realizing she is all alone, she recalls the contents of the letter, expressing Mahiru's desire to write songs with her, and soon starts to regret her decision.|
|6||"Laughing and Remembering"
"Warattari Omottari" (笑ったり 想ったり)
|August 5, 2012|
|As Wakana comes down with a cold, Konatsu decides to pay her a visit, reminding Wakana of her promise with Mahiru to write a song together. Later, Wakana receives a tape from Shiho containing a recording of when Mahiru was in the choir club before Sawa takes her horse riding. The next day, Wakana helps Taichi and Atsuhiro with their vocal training before visiting Tomoko and her new baby. Later that day, Wakana learns from her father why Mahiru kept her illness a secret from her; because she didn't want the song they wrote together to be a sad one. As Wakana laments how she allegedly threw away her mother's feelings, her father gives Wakana some sheet music Mahiru wrote before she died so that she can finish it herself, admitting he never sold the piano. As Wakana listens to the tape the next day, she rekindles her own love of singing and joins the rest of the club in song.|
|7||"Spinning in Circles and Losing Sight"
"Karamawattari Miushinattari" (空回ったり 見失ったり)
|August 12, 2012|
|As the club tries to decide what to do for the school culture festival, Konatsu is taunted by her former club members. Konatsu soon learns that, in order to get on the main stage for the festival, they will have to be approved by Naoko. Meanwhile, Sawa is at odds with her father, who sees her ambition of becoming a professional jockey as simply playing around. For some unknown reason, Sawa starts going a diet and begins skipping a lot of meals, causing Konatsu and Wakana to worry about her. After the girls attend a musical together, Wakana looks to learn composition in order to finish the song Mahiru was writing while also considering her own career. Meanwhile, Sawa is left fatigued from her forced dieting and ends up falling off her horse during mounted archery practice.|
|8||"Worrying and Racing Ahead"
"Ki ni Shitari Omoikkiri Kakenuketari" (気にしたり 思いっきり駆け抜けたり)
|August 19, 2012|
|After being checked by the hospital, Sawa is told by her father to quit horseback archery. Sawa later reveals to Shiho that she was skipping meals as she was attempting to apply for a riding school, but wasn't accepted due to her weight and height. The ordeal leaves Sawa a bit shaken and emotionally fragile. With the vocal group hoarding the practice rooms, the choir club goes to Wien's house, where Sawa explains her troubles, reacting harshly when Wakana suggests she take a step back. The next day, as Naoko tries to get Konatsu to withdraw her application for use of the stage, Wakana explains what she learned by being able to sing with others, which reminds Naoko of Mahiru. Naoko decides to have the choir club participate in a committee meeting to prove their growth. As the others send Sawa words of encouragement, she overhears her father as he pleas to the riding school to have them accept her. Encouraged by her friends, Sawa rushes on horseback to join her friends' sides at the committee meeting.|
|9||"Going White and Going Red"
"Shiroku Nattari Akaku Nattari" (白くなったり 赤くなったり)
|August 26, 2012|
|As Konatsu reveals the club will perform a musical drama at the school festival, Wien seems preoccupied by something. Meanwhile, Shiho suggests putting on a superhero show at the shopping district and gets Konatsu and the others to play the part of the superheroes, sparking Wien's interest in particular. As Wakana asks Shiho about how Mahiru went about writing her songs, she suggests asking Naoko, as she previously co-wrote a song with her. As the others notice Wien taking the superhero show a bit too seriously, he reveals all the letters he sent to a young kid in Austria named Jan were sent back to him. Meanwhile, Naoko is worried about some supposed changes planned by Tayoru's superiors.|
|10||"Budding and Burning"
"Moetari Moetari" (萌えたり 燃えたり)
|September 2, 2012|
|Despite some initial setbacks, the gang (as Nishinohashi Hero Shoutenger) manages to make the superhero show a success. The next day, Naoko calls up Konatsu and co about their job, but they manage to win the argument as she had already given them permission. Afterwards, Wakana asks Naoko about how Mahiru wrote her songs, to which she replies that she needs to enjoy it while also thinking of her own memories with Mahiru. As the gang continue doing the shows, Konatsu's bag is stolen by a thief on a bicycle, prompting Wien to chase after him. With the support of his friends, Wien manages to catch the thief, and together they make the headlines.|
|11||"Filling up and Coming up Short"
"Michitari Kaketari" (満ちたり 欠けたり)
|September 9, 2012|
|As the choir club works hard on its musical, Taichi, who is creating background props, tries to recruit a decent painter, finding one who'll agree on the condition he takes some photos of Sawa. As Konatsu tries to get help from the vocal group, she hears from Naoko that the school festival has been cancelled as the school is being closed down to make way for new buildings. Just as the group looks to be split up, Wakana reveals she has finished writing her song, deciding they should have their own festival so they can sing it together.|
|12||"Piling Up and Ringing Out"
"Kasanetari Hibītari" (重ねたり 響いたり)
|September 16, 2012|
|After Taichi manages to get the photo of Sawa for the painter, he spots the props Wien made being taken away by the garbage men. As the others head to the garbage dump to recover them, Konatsu pleads with the student council to resume the school festival, only to have her proposal rejected. The next day, as Wakana visits Mahiru's grave, she runs into Naoko and shows her the song she and Mahiru wrote together. As Wien works on props, Taichi seeks help to make some costumes while Sawa pleads to the neighborhood association in bringing an audience and Konatsu gets some help from the vocal group. Meanwhile, the chairman plans to oppose anything delaying the construction.|
|13||"Growing Sunny, Crying and Sometimes Singing"
"Haretari Naitari Ato wa Tokidoki Utattari" (晴れたり 泣いたり あとは時々歌ったり)
|September 23, 2012|
|As the gang and their families prepare for the festival, they discover the school gates are closed and the gym has been locked up. As the chairman confronts them, Tayoru decides to stand up to him and allow the festival to be held, with Naoko also offering her support by enlisting the help of the vocal group and wind instrument club to help perform Wakana's song. The festival soon gets on the way and the gang perform their musical in front of many guests. After the festival, Wien finally receives a postcard from Jan, while Sawa goes abroad to attend an equestrian school, much to the dismay of Taichi who had developed feelings for her. Later, Wakana and Naoko get together to reminisce about Mahiru, with Wakana asking Naoko to teach her more about music. Soon after, everyone graduates and start moving towards their futures.|
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (October 2015)