|Elevation||697 m (2,287 ft)|
|• Spoken Languages||Kannada, Urdu, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Tarikere is a taluk in Chikkamagaluru district in the state of Karnataka of India. The headquarters of Tarikere taluk is a town of the same name. The town has derived its name from number of water tanks by which the town is surrounded (Kere is a large water tank). There are a large number of tanks in and around Tarikere, namely, Chikkere, Doddakere, Dalavikere, Ramanayakanakere, Kendarahalla etc.
National Highway NH-206 (Bangalore to Honnavar) passes through the Tarikere town. From the district headquarters of Chickmagalur, Tarikere can be reached by a road via Lingadahalli or via the famous hill station of Kemmangundi or via Kadur and Birur.
Tarikere is located at  It has an average elevation of 698 metres (2290 feet). Tarikere Taluk borders Narasimharajapura Taluk of Chikkamagaluru district to the West, Chickmagalur Taluk of Chikkamagaluru district to the South-West, Kadur Taluk of Chikkamagaluru district to the south, Shimoga and Bhadravathi Taluks of Shimoga District to the North and Hosadurga Taluk of Chitradurga District to the East. The following are the Hobli Headquarters within Tarikere Taluk.
As of 2001[update] India census, Tarikere Town had a population of about 35,000. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. Tarikere has an average literacy rate of 68%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 73%, and female literacy is 62%. In Tarikere, 11% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Agriculture is the primary occupation here. Betelnut, Paddy, Ragi, Arecanut, Coffee, Coconut, Banana, Pan leaves, Mango and Corn are the major cash crops grown in this region. The region was formerly a major rice producing area which have been largely replaced by arecanut. Vigyan Industries, a subsidiary of BEML is present near Tarikere town. It is a major producer of steel castings.
Places to see
- Bhadra Wildlife Sanctuary
- Kemmangundi is a popular hill station in Tarikere Taluk.
- Amrithapura, in Tarikere taluk is a temple town famous for the Amritheshwara temple which was constructed by the Hoysalas.
- Kallathigiri is a popular mini falls on the top of lord Veera bhadra temple. Every one must see this beautiful place.
- Sri Subrahmanya swamy temple is also one of the popular hindu temple located in the heart of the town.
Accommodation: Thirumala Lodge, T.H.Thimmaiah Lodging Complex, N.H.206, Tarikere
Tarikere is immortalised in the popular Kannada tongue-twister "Tarikere Kere Eri Mele Mooru Kari Kuri Mari Meyuthittu". This was also used as the title for a film song in the Kannada film Devara Duddu and was sung by the famous singer, S P Balasubramanyam. On the eve of Makara Sankranthi every year, procession of Lord Revannasiddeshwara will be carried which will be a feast for eyes.Every year, the procession of Lord Subramanya (Car Festival) is taken out during December–January (Pushya Shuddha Shasti), which attracts huge crowd.and also a famous "subramanya temple", situated in M.G Road of Tarikere town
Tarikere is surrounded by many tanks and ponds. There aer several historical places surrounding Tarikere.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Tarikere
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- The Amriteshwara Temple by Dr. Jyotsna Kamat