Tarrafal, Cape Verde (municipality)
Municipal hall of Tarrafal
|• Total||120.8 km2 (46.6 sq mi)|
|• Density||150/km2 (400/sq mi)|
The municipality consists of one freguesia (civil parish), Santo Amaro Abade. The freguesia is subdivided into the following settlements, its population data are of the 2010 census:
- Achada Biscanhos (pop: 310)
- Achada Lagoa (pop: 64)
- Achada Longueira (pop: 520)
- Achada Meio (pop: 211)
- Achada Moirão (pop: 587)
- Achada Tenda (pop: 1,242)
- Biscainhos (pop: 695)
- Chão Bom (pop: 5,166)
- Curral Velho (pop: 358)
- Fazenda (pop: 107)
- Figueira Muita (pop: 160)
- Lagoa (pop: 55)
- Mato Brazil (pop: 160)
- Mato Mendes (pop: 194)
- Milho Branco (pop: 165)
- Ponta Lobrão (pop: 435)
- Ribeira da Prata (pop: 1,009)
- Tarrafal (pop: 6,656)
- Trás os Montes (pop: 464)
The municipality was created on May 4, 1912, when two northern parishes of the older Municipality of Santa Catarina were split off to become the Municipality of Tarrafal, the seat of Santa Catarina moved to Assomada and Tarrafal became the seat of a municipality with its own name. In 1991, a southeastern parish of the Municipality was split off to become the Municipality of São Miguel.
Tarrafal has various sights to offer. There are an interesting town hall, a market hall, a comparatively large church, Saint Amaro Abade and Estádio de Mangue in the southern end next to the communal boundary with Chão Bom and newly constructed hotels east of it, in the market place. Every year Tarrafal invites everyone to celebrate the name festival (Festa de Santo Amaro). The date is January 15.
Several football (soccer) clubs are founded in the municipality, all clubs play at Estádio de Mangue in the Mangue neighborhood in the south of Tarrafal north of the communal limits.
- Beira-Mar, the oldest club in Tarrafal
- Chão Bom or Tchon Bon (also as Txon Bon)
- Estrela dos Amadores
- Real Júnior
Since 2016, the GAFT Cup is the municipality's football (soccer) cup competition takes place in October. It features a club from the municipality, Barcelona was non-participant in the first edition.
|Population of Tarrafal, Cape Verde (municipality) (1940—2010)|
At the federal level, it belongs to the constituency of Santiago North.
The MpD is the ruling party of the municipality which won 43.7% in the 2012 election.
|Movement for Democracy||68.82||12||66||-||53||9|
|Movement for Democracy||70.14||7||67.8||-||52.8||7|
- Anilton César Varela da Silva, futsal player
- Gracelino Barbosa, para-athlete
- Pedro Celestino SIlva Soares, footballer (soccer player)
- Silvino Lopes Évora, writer
- Mário Lúcio de Sousa, singer, member of the band Simentera
- Janício Martins, footballer (soccer player)
- Câmara Municipal do Tarrafal
- ANMCV (Associação Nacional dos Municípios Cabo-Verdianos - National Association of the Capeverdean Municipalities)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tarrafal.|