Tartine is a bakery in San Francisco, California, located in the Mission District, at 600 Guerrero Street (at 18th Street). Writing in the New York Times, food columnist Mark Bittman called it his favorite bakery in the U.S. In 2008 its owners, Elisabeth Prueitt and Chad Robertson, won James Beard Foundation Awards as the best pastry chefs in America, after previously being nominated for this award in 2006 and 2007.
Tartine (the word means open faced sandwich in French) opened in 2002, on the site of two previous bakeries; its owners, Prueitt and Robertson, had previously run the Bay Village Breads bakery in Point Reyes and Mill Valley. After the success of their San Francisco bakery they also opened the nearby Bar Tartine and have published a book of recipes from their bakery (Tartine, Chronicle Books, 2006, ISBN 978-0-8118-5150-3).
In April 2015, it was announced that Tartine's bakery operations would with merge with Blue Bottle Coffee and that the Bar Tartine restaurant would be sold to its chefs. However, the merger was called off later the same year.
- Wach, Bonnie (June 18, 2003), "Crunch, Sir: If stranded on a desert island, we'd choose Tartine's croque monsieur over water", SF Weekly.
- Brody, Meredith (December 17, 2003), "It's All Good: Our critic can't stay away from the buttery pastries and cheesy savories at Tartine", SF Weekly.
- Bittman, Mark (January 28, 2007), "San Francisco: Tartine Bakery", New York Times.
- Shriver, Jerry (March 16, 2006), "Beard Awards Shift Palate", USA Today.
- Shriver, Jerry (March 20, 2007), "James Beard Calls On The Best", USA Today.
- Morgan, Miriam (June 9, 2008), "3 top James Beard awards for Bay Area foodies", San Francisco Chronicle.
- Severson, Kim (July 3, 2002), "Openings: New Bread In The Mission", San Francisco Chronicle.
- Walden, GraceAnn (April 6, 2005), "Tartine branches out in the Mission", San Francisco Chronicle.
- Bauer, Michael (February 5, 2006), "Coming Into Focus: Warm environment, bold food at San Francisco's Bar Tartine", San Francisco Chronicle.
- Chase, Jodie (October 25, 2006), "Secrets to Tartine's delectable treats", Oakland Tribune.
- Hallock, Betty (December 13, 2006), "Cookbook Watch: It's a Great Season for Thrillers", Los Angeles Times.
- Saekel, Karola (December 6, 2006), "Great books for all cooks", San Francisco Chronicle.
- Jung, Carolyn (December 26, 2006), "The year's best cookbooks for all tastes and talents", San Jose Mercury News.
- Alburger, Carolyn (May 1, 2012) "Farina, Tartine, Locanda Targets Of Group Protest." SFeater. (Retrieved 11-18-13.)
- Hernandez, Rigoberto (April 30, 2012) "Protesters Smash, Paint-Bomb Businesses, Cars." Mission Local. (Retrieved 11-18-13.)
- "Tartine and Blue Bottle merge". Inside Scoop SF. 2015-04-20. Retrieved 2016-10-09.
- Fritsche, Sarah (2015-12-03). "Blue Bottle and Tartine Bakery call off merger". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved 2016-10-10.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tartine.|
- Tartine Bakery web site