Satu Nusa, Satu Bangsa, Satu Bahasa
("One Motherland, One Nation, One Language")
|Magelang, Central Java, Indonesia|
|Type||Private, Co-educational, Military (non-armed), Student Uniformed Group, Boarding school|
|Grades||10-12 (US Equivalent)|
|Average class size||32 pupils|
|Alumni||approx. 6000 (1992–2008)|
Taruna Nusantara (also called Tarnus or TN) is a boarding senior high school with Military-like discipline that is located in the town of Magelang, Central Java, Indonesia. The school gains reputation from its strong emphasis on national values in addition to exceptional academic and leadership achievements. The school and its teaching method has been referred to as "the inspiration for the setting up of other top schools in Indonesia."
Taruna Nusantara can be liberally translated as "Patriot of The Archipelago." The word Taruna itself also generally refers to Indonesia's military cadet, which has no direct relation to and should not be confused with the school and its students.
The idea for the school was made by then- Indonesian Minister of Defence and Security, Gen. Leonardus Benjamin Moerdani in 1985. He envisioned a civilian school that is able to educate country's best talents and produce graduates who can continue carrying forward the national mission set by the nation's founding fathers. It was then followed by the signing of MoU by Indonesian Armed Forces and Taman Siswa, which is among the first local and formal educational groups in Indonesia, to set up and support a foundation called Lembaga Perguruan Taman Taruna Nusantara (LPTTN). It is this foundation that eventually crystallised Gen. Moerdani's vision, and subsequently oversaw the operational process of the school.
The school was unveiled by the then- Commander of Armed Forces, Gen. Try Sutrisno in 1990. The whole campus, consisted of the school compound, students' dormitories and teachers' housing complex, occupied an 18.5 ha site, donated by the neighboring National Military Academy. During the first six years, the school admitted 245 male students every year. Starting from 1996, it became a co-ed school by accepting the first batch of 70 female students, and to accommodate this change, the school area was expanded to 23 hectares.
To be able to attract outstanding teenagers, the school, backed by the politically and financially strong Armed Forces, offered full scholarship to all students. Its teachers also enjoyed above-average salary and facilities. However, after the severe Asian currency crisis in 1997 and the change of national political landscape thereafter, the school faced financial difficulties and withdrew its scholarship scheme in 2002 or when accepting its thirteenth batch of student. To date, some needy students still receive the scholarship, which is sponsored by private corporations, state's departments, local and regional governments, or its alumni.
Although the school is sometimes referred to a having military-like discipline, it is not in any way similar with the military. The school curriculum derives from the national education curriculum system, and so all students receive the same education as others at senior high school in Indonesia.
The school's graduating students do not have any obligation to go to a military academy, and many continue their education at university.
The school screening process for applicants includes academical, physical and psychological tests, health check, and interview.
In delivering its lessons and developing its pupils, the school focuses on the three aspects: nationalism, patriotism, and national culture. These aspects are reflected in its curriculum: besides studying based on the compulsory national curricula, the students must take special subjects which are not taught elsewhere to people in their age, namely Leadership, Nationalism and National Defence.
Leadership development programs
In order to prepare its students to become a leader in their respective fields and contribute back to the society, the school provides leadership opportunities through a combination of both theoretical concepts and practical application of leadership principles. The school runs classroom lectures on leadership theories, organizational behavior and public speaking, just to name a few.
In order to make sure that leadership opportunities are available to each and every students, and not only the selected few, the school has a rotation program, where all students are alternatingly being assigned to a class and/or dorm leader position for one week.
- Three-month basic education process. All pupils in their first three months of freshman year join this basic education process, which may consist of nationalism education and basic military training. During this period, they are not allowed to make any contact with outside parties, including their own families; the purpose being to strengthen their independence and self-confidence.
- Journey of Gen. Sudirman. One of the field activities of the students is to take part in a journey on foot to jungles and mountains, simulating guerrilla war led by General Sudirman, a famous military leader during Indonesian National Revolution. The journey follows a 40 km (about 24.8 mil) route and takes about four days to complete.
- Camps and social works. Students have camps and social works to attend. In many cases, the camps require them to stay in wilderness under minimal supervision, a method believed to cultivate their sense of survival.
Extracurricular activities available at Taruna Nusantara includes the Student Board Organization (Organisasi Siswa Intra Sekolah / OSIS), Student Representatives (Perwakilan Kelas / PK), Ceremonial Platoon (Peleton Upacara / Tonpara), School Security Patrol (Patroli Keamanan Sekolah / PKS), Honorary Symbol Section (Pasukan Tanda Kehormatan / Pataka), Gita Bahana Nusantara Drum Band (GBNDB)(formerly Gita Bahana Nusantara Marching Band (GBNMB)), First Aid Club, Debating Society, Sports Team (Soccer, Tennis, Volley, Swimming, Athletic), Arts and Performances (Gamelan, Gendang Rampak and Band).
Study Subject Team
SMA Taruna Nusantara have place for students with great achiecements who want to develop their favorite subject(s) to advanced level and have chance to contribute in many olympiad. That places are study subject teams which are part of Section IIIB of OSIS. Consists of:
- KIRTARA (KIR SMA Taruna Nusantara, Student Science Club)
- Aeromodeling (Aeromodeling team)
- Fractura (Photography team)
- Tomat (Mathematics Olympiad Team)
- Elephyte(Electromen and Physics Team)
- Cesium (Chemistry Squad with Incredible and Unbeatable Members)
- BioHolic (Biology Team)
- TNCC (Taruna Nusantara Computer Club)
- Astrogank (Astronomy Olympiad Team)
- TNEC (Taruna Nusantara Economy Club)
- Granity (Geology Taruna Nusantara Community)
- Hiperbola (Indonesian Language Team)
- TNESC (Taruna Nusantara English Speaking Club)
- TNT (Taruna Nusantara Ni Hon Go Team)
- Deutsch Club (German Language Club)
- TNRC (Taruna Nusantara Robotic Club)
- Konsisten (Civic Education Team)
- Prasasti (School Magazine Team)
Another feature of the school is the qualification of its principals who, before the time of incumbency, were high-ranking military officers, with the exception of the first principal who previously was a rector in a local university.
- Prof Dr Tarwotjo Tjitrosoedjono; M.Sc. (1990–1994)
- MajGen Bambang Hartoyo; M.B.A. (1994)
- BGen drs Sadja Moeljoredjo (1994–1998)
- BGen Bambang Pradjuritno; L.L.B. (1998–2004)
- BGen (Ret) drs Untung Susoro (2005–2006)
- BGen (Ret) Djuwari Sarmyanto M.Sc. (2006–2010)
- Cdre (Ret) Djoko Sasongko (2010-2011)
- BGen (Ret) Bambang Sumaryanto, S.E.., M.M. (2011-2013)
- BGen (Ret) Wahid Hidayat, S.I.P. (2013-now)
Best graduates of the school are awarded the 'Garuda Trisakti Taruna Tama' Gold Medal. Awardees are selected based on their academic accomplishments, leadership competence, personality, character, and physical fitness.
List of Garuda Trisakti Taruna Tama awardee:
- Firman Dwi Cahyono (1993)
- Jati Setiawan (1994)
- Dito Sutejo (1995)
- Yusa Adi Hartanto (1996)
- Agus Harimurti Yudhoyono (1997)
- Andi Arvianto (1998)
- Achmad Hikam (1999)
- Wulan Asti Rahayu (2000)
- Muhammad Syaiful Anam (2001)
- Ina Damayanti Dwi Artiningsih (2002)
- Muh Farid Isnawan (2003)
- Dhana Putra Prasetya (2004)
- Intan Nur Asma Hardhani (2005)
- Satrio Tegas Wicaksono (2006)
- Ronggo Wiyono S. Putro (2007)
- Ryan Putera Pratama (2008)
- Bagas Dhanurendra (2009)
- Guinandra Luthfan Jatikusumo (2010)
- Fauzy Pratama (2011)
- Anggara Putra Bagustama (2012)
- Anastasha Puspagita Herasmoro (2013)
- Fransiska Herline Novitasari (2014)
- Neo Aditya Kuntar (2015)
- Bantuan Lembaga Perguruan Taman Taruna Nusantara
- SMA Taruna Nusantara: Nasionalisme Hingga Apresiasi Chris John
- SMA TN Beri Ilham Berdirinya Sekolah Unggulan
- Beasiswa SMA Taruna Nusantara (TN) Tahun Ajaran 2009-2010
- MENHAN TATAP MUKA DENGAN ALUMNI SMU TARUNA NUSANTARA
- ANTARA Jateng News : Pertamina Bantu Perbaikan SMU Taruna Nusantara
- Tempointeraktif.com - SMA Taruna Nusantara Dapat Bantuan Dari 14 BUMN
- SMA Taruna Nusantara
- Sekelumit YKPP Dephan RI
- http://www.taruna-nusantara-mgl.sch.id/ Taruna-Nusantara-mgl.sch.id
- (Indonesian) Taruna-Nusantara-mgl.sch.id Official website
- (Indonesian) Ikatan Alumni Taruna Nusantara Website Alumni website