Tarzan and the Great River
|Tarzan and the Great River|
|Directed by||Robert Day|
story by Bob Barbash and Lewis Reed
by Edgar Rice Burroughs
Manuel Padilla Jr.
|Music by||William Loose|
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
Tarzan and the Great River is a 1967 adventure film starring Mike Henry in his second of three film appearances as Tarzan. The film was produced by Sy Weintraub and Steve Shagan, written by Bob Barbash (from a story by Barbash and Lewis Reed), and directed by Robert Day. It was released in September 1967.
Tarzan is called to Brazil by an old friend, The Professor (Paulo Gracindo) to help stop the Jaguar Cult, led by Barcuma (Rafer Johnson), from destroying native villages and enslaving the survivors in his search for diamonds. Tarzan is assisted by Captain Sam Bishop (Jan Murray), a riverboat pilot, and Bishop's young ward, Pepe (Manuel Padilla Jr.), as well as Baron (a lion) and Cheeta (a chimpanzee). On their way they encounter Dr. Ann Philips (Diana Millay), who has witnessed the destruction of a village, and wants to continue fighting a plague by giving much-needed inoculations to natives who live along the Amazon River.
- Mike Henry as Tarzan, the British Lord of Greystoke
- Jan Murray as Captain Sam Bishop, an American crusty riverboat pilot, ally to Tarzan
- Manuel Padilla, Jr. as Pepe, Sam Bishop's youthful native ward
- Rafer Johnson as Barcuma, Afro-Brazilian leader of the Jaguar Cult
- Diana Millay as Dr. Ann Philips, American physician attempting to inoculate Brazilian natives
- Paulo Gracindo as The Professor, Tarzan's Brazilian old friend
- Eliezer Gomes as Barcuma's Afro-Brazilian lieutenant (uncredited)
- Carlos Eduardo Dolabella as Agonizing tribesman in canoe (uncredited)
- Luz del Fuego as Tribeswoman (uncredited)
Dinky, the chimp portraying Cheeta, bit Mike Henry on the jaw during filming, requiring twenty stitches. The chimpanzee was destroyed, and Henry later sued the producers for this accident and other unsafe working conditions on all three of his Tarzan films. The parties settled out of court.