Tarzan and the Lost City (film)
|Tarzan and the Lost City|
|Directed by||Carl Schenkel|
|Produced by||Stanley S. Canter
|Written by||Bayard Johnson
J. Anderson Black (screenplay)
|Based on||Characters created
by Edgar Rice Burroughs
|Starring||Casper Van Dien
|Music by||Christopher Franke|
|Edited by||Harry Hitner|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros.|
|April 24, 1998|
Tarzan and the Lost City is a 1998 American action-adventure film directed by Carl Schenkel, and starring Casper Van Dien, Jane March and Steven Waddington. The screenplay by Bayard Johnson and J. Anderson Black is loosely based on the Tarzan stories by Edgar Rice Burroughs.
In 1913, on the night before Jane Porter's wedding to John Clayton (also known as Tarzan), her bridegroom receives a disturbing vision of his childhood homeland in peril. Much to Jane's distress, Clayton leaves for Africa to help. The educated explorer Nigel Ravens is seeking the legendary city of Opar, to plunder its ancient treasures. But then Jane decides to follow her fiancé, and he must protect her while trying to stop Ravens and his men.
- Casper Van Dien - Tarzan/John Clayton
- Jane March - Jane Porter
- Steven Waddington - Nigel Ravens
- Winston Ntshona - Mugambe
- Rapulana Seiphemo - Kaya
- Ian Roberts - Captain Dooley
- Sean Taylor - Wilkes
- Gys De Villiers - Schiller
However, a very rare positive review came from the New York Times, where critic Lawrence Van Gelder declared the film 'A throwback to the days of Saturday afternoon adventures in exotic locales that were usually Hollywood back lots' and that Tarzan and the Lost City zips along, past the ritual lions, elephants and cobras to the city of Opar and its temple of illusions, tunnels and traps, and right to the inevitable satisfying showdown.'
- "Tarzan and the Lost City". Box Office Mojo.
- "Tarzan and the Lost City". Film Afrika.
- "Review: ‘Tarzan and the Lost City’". Variety. April 27, 1998.
- "Tarzan and the Lost City". The Austin Chronicle. April 14, 2000.
- "Tarzan and the Lost City". Rotten Tomatoes.
- "Tarzan and the Lost City (1998)". New York Times. April 25, 1998.
- Tarzan and the Lost City at the Internet Movie Database
- Tarzan and the Lost City at Rotten Tomatoes
- Tarzan and the Lost City at Box Office Mojo