||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (August 2010)|
Yoon Mi-rae performing at the Lolipop Concert, in May 2010
|Birth name||Natasha Shanta Reid|
|Also known as||Tasha Reid, Baby Tasha, T|
May 31, 1981 |
Fort Hood, Texas, United States
|Yoon Mi Rae|
|Revised Romanization||Yun Mi-rae|
Natasha Shanta Reid (born May 31, 1981), known by her Korean name Yoon Mi-rae, is an American-born South Korean rapper and singer. She is part of the Korean hip hop crew The Movement and current member of MFBTY.
Early life and education
Reid was born in Fort Hood, Texas to a South Korean mother and a black American father. She often faced discrimination because of her mixed heritage. Her father, Thomas J. Reid, was a DJ when she was young, so she naturally became acquainted with music. Because her father was also in the military, Reid lived in multiple locations, including Fort Lewis, Washington, Washington, D.C. and Germany.
In 1995, she accompanied a friend to a World Records audition for a group which would later become Uptown. She did not audition herself, but a World staff member heard Tasha singing the lyrics to songs outside of the audition room and casted her immediately. Uptown debuted in South Korea in early 1997, when Reid was just 16. Tasha was one of the first mixed race artists in Korean music, causing much criticism in a homogeneous society. Tasha later revealed her struggles in her 2007 single, "Black Happiness", which spoke of how industry executives told her to deny her African American heritage.
In 1999, she also formed Tashannie, a hip-hop and R&B project for which she was the primary vocalist, alongside Annie Lee, who was also a member of Uptown. Uptown broke up in 2000 after a scandal proved two members to be involved in drugs. A year later, Tasha debuted as a solo artist, under the moniker T.
In 2002, she released her 1.5 album, Gemini. It was the first Korean hip-hop album to debut in the Japanese market. Tasha later left World Music to join Jungle Entertainment, a label founded by now husband Tiger JK.
On January 2013, Yoon, together with her husband Tiger JK and Bizzy as members of MFBTY (My Fans Better Than Yours), were selected as representatives of Kpop for Korea at the International Music Tradeshow on Midem, in Cannes, France. They performed in their own showcase 'K-Pop Night Out at MIDEM 2013'.
In December 2014, her group MFBTY was rebranded under her name. Their first single under that name "Angel" hit no. 1 on the Gaon charts. Also in that month she revealed that the American film The Interview used her song "Pay Day" without permission, and that she will be taking legal action.
Reid speaks Korean and English fluently.
She is an advocate against child abuse as seen by her participation in Vogue Korea's Stop & Love Campaign in 2011 and performing at the 2011 Child Abuse Awareness Concert. Together with Tiger JK, she received a commendation from South Korea's Ministry of Health and Welfare for her efforts in promoting child abuse prevention.
She also promotes awareness with multicultural families as seen with her seven-month volunteer commitment in a multicultural youth camp in 2008. This is probably a result of her own history as a child of mixed ethnic origin where she experienced prejudice in Korean society against her racial background.
In June 2007, she married Tiger JK (member of Drunken Tiger) in a private ceremony. The wedding occurred a month before the death of Tiger JK's grandmother who had wanted to see them wed before her passing. Yoon became pregnant with her son, Jordan, the same month Tiger JK's grandmother died in July 2007. Jordan was born later in March 2008.
|As Time Goes By
|To My Love
|T3 - Yoon Mi Rae
|Get It In (The Creators Project) (EP)
- 2007: Wonderful (with Kim Jo Han)
- 2008: Rhapsody Part 2 (with Tiger JK)
- 2009: Please Don't Go
- 2009: Let's Dance (with Yoo Jae-suk)
- 2011: Doo Doo Doo Wop Ba Ba Lu
- 2013: Sweet Dream (with Tiger JK and Bizzy as MFBTY)
- 2013: Touch Love (The Master's Sun OST)
- 2014: I Love You (It's Okay, That's Love OST)
- 2014: Angel (with Tiger JK & Bizzy)
- 2015: I'll Listen To What You Have To Say (Who Are You: School 2015 OST)
- 2011: Infinity Challenge - Guest Appearance
- 2011: Superstar K3 - Judge
- 2011: Running Man - Guest
- 2011: We Got Married - Guest Appearance with husband, Tiger JK and their son, Jordan. The Khuntoria couple meet with Reid and Tiger JK in their home and then babysit their son.
|2013||Yoon Mi-rae||Best Original Soundtrack||Won|
|2007||"Have You Forgotten?"||Best R&B Performance||Won|
|2013||"Touch Love"||Best Original Soundtrack||Won|
|2014||"I Love You"||Nominated|
- Mark Russell (29 April 2014). K-Pop Now!: The Korean Music Revolution. Tuttle Publishing. p. 121. ISBN 978-1-4629-1411-1.
- smith, Dave (27 December 2014). "This Korean Singer Is Suing Sony For Using Her Music In ‘The Interview’". Business Insider. Retrieved 29 December 2014.
- Han, Ock Ju (4 October 2011). 윤미래, 세계최고의 래퍼 12위 '영광' [Yoon Mi Rae, the world's greatest rapper 12th place 'honor'] (in Korean). etoday.
- Bryan, Beverly (19 September 2011). "The 12 Best New Female Emcees Dominating Mics Everywhere". MTV. Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- "KBS Artist Entry". KBS. Retrieved 2014-11-14.
- Sunwoo, Carla (2012-02-07). "Yoon Mirae models for HP Korea". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-11-14.
- "Singer Yoon Mi-rae To Rejoin As Super Star K Judge". Hancinema. 2012-05-31. Retrieved 2014-11-14.
- Oak, Jessica; Benjamin, Jeff]] (2013-02-05). "MFBTY (Tiger JK, Yoon Mirae and Bizzy) Spread Korean Hip-Hop in France". Billboard. Retrieved 2014-11-14.
- Benjamin, Jeff; Oak, Jessica (2013-09-05). "Yoon Mi Rae Earns First K-Pop Hot 100 No. 1 With 'Touch Love'". Billboard. Retrieved 2014-11-14.
- "Yoon Mi Rae to Take Legal Action against Sony Pictures for Using Her Song in "The Interview" without Permission". Soompi. 2014-12-27. Retrieved 2014-12-27.
- "Mnet Artist Profile". Mnet. Retrieved 2014-11-14.
- "Tiger JK and Yoon Mirae to receive commendation from Ministry of Health and Welfare for work in child abuse prevention". Allkpop. 2012-11-13. Retrieved 2014-11-14.
- "Tiger JK & Yoon Mirae speak out against child abuse for Vogue Korea's "STOP&LOVE" campaign". Allkpop. Sports Chosun. 2011-03-21. Retrieved 2014-11-14.
- "Tiger JK and Yoon Mirae Family Photo". Soompi. 2011-03-23. Retrieved 2014-11-14.
- "Yoon Mi-rae Returns to Her Roots". The Chosun Ilbo. 2007-02-24. Retrieved 2014-11-14.
- Kim, Hee-sung (2009-11-13). "Libraries, handbooks events: opening way for multicultural society". korea.net. Korean Culture and Information Service. Retrieved 2014-11-14.
- "Yoon Mi Rae wears a wedding dress for the first time". Allkpop. 2010-03-19. Retrieved 2011-10-18.
- "Tiger JK and Jordan's Father and Son Moment". Allkpop. 2009-07-03. Retrieved 2011-10-16.
- Lee, Hyo-won (2008-07-03). "Tiger JK, T Wed With Baby". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2014-11-14.
- "Future Liger rocking Music Core with Let’s Dance", Allkpop, 18 July 2009. Retrieved 18 October 2011.
- "iger JK’s MV for "Doo Doo Doo Wop Ba Ba Lu" to be released with Yoon Mi Rae making a cameo appearance". Allkpop. 2011-07-22. Retrieved 2011-10-18.
- "Superstar K3 reveals their official poster". Allkpop. 2011-07-27. Retrieved 2011-10-18.
- "Photos give a sneak peek into ‘Running Man – Hip-hop special’!". Allkpop. 2011-08-10. Retrieved 2011-10-23.
- "Khuntoria babysits Tiger JK-Tasha's son on We Got Married". Allkpop. 2011-08-13. Retrieved 2014-11-14.
- "2007 Mnet KM Music Festival Part1". MAMA. Retrieved 2014-12-14.
- "2013 M.net Korean Music Festival Winners list". Mnet. Retrieved 2014-06-12.
- "[Full Ver.] 2014 Mnet Asian Music Awards Part1". mwave. MAMA. Retrieved 28 January 2015.