Tasman rugby league team
|Competition||New Zealand Rugby League|
|Rugby League Cup||2001-02|
|Mainland Super 10||2000|
|South Island Zone||2012|
The Tasman rugby league team are New Zealand rugby league team that represents the Tasman Rugby League. They have previously been nicknamed the Orcas but in 2010 adopted the Titans nickname. The district was previously known as Nelson/Marlborough.
Nelson held one of the first New Zealand rugby league competitions in 1910 and the region produced four New Zealand representatives between 1910 and 1911; Charles James, Pat Hannigan, Dave Mason and Bert Feary. In many parts of New Zealand, rugby league went into recess with the outbreak of World War I.
In 1991 Nelson, who were coached by former Kiwi Kevin Dixon, played a three match series against Marlborough, winning the first 30-20 before losing the second 24-32 and drawing the third match 26-all.
A Nelson-Marlborough side first played as an independent district in 1995, but it was not until the 1997 season that the Tasman name was adopted. In 1998 they won the Central Zone of the National Provincial Competition Second Division before losing to Otago in the semi-finals.
In 2000 the team competed in the Mainland Super 10 against other South Island district teams and clubs from the Canterbury Rugby League. The Orcas made the final and defeated Hornby 20-0 to win the championship.
In 2011 Tasman will compete in a South Island home-and-away series against West Coast, Canterbury, Otago and Southland.
During the 1990s and early 2000s Tasman were coached by Paul Bergman who later went on to coach Wellington and be an assistant coach of the New Zealand Kiwis. Former internationals Phil Bergman (Paul's brother) and Simon Angell have also represented Tasman.
- Tasman Orcas rugbyleague.co.nz
- Martin, Wayne (30 October 2010). "Star backing for rebranded Tasman team". The Nelson Mail. Retrieved 19 November 2011.
- United Press Association (30 May 1910). "NELSON RUGBY LEAGUE". Colonist. LII (12806). New Zealand: National Library of New Zealand. p. 1. Retrieved 19 March 2011.
- Lion Red Rugby League Annual 1991 New Zealand Rugby League, 1991.
- Lion Red Rugby League Annual 1995, New Zealand Rugby Football League, 1995. p.180
- New Zealand Rugby League Annual '98, New Zealand Rugby Football League, 1998. p.141
- 2000 Mainland Super 10 Finals rugbyleague.co.nz
- Sponsorship sought for Orcas The Nelson Mail, 5 June 2001
- Orcas fired up to retain cup The Nelson Mail, 7 September 2002
- AP (13 April 2004). "Russia lose to New Zealand side". Daily Times. Pakistan. Retrieved 1 January 2011.
- "Chairman wants to expand league". The Nelson Mail. 4 October 2010. Retrieved 19 November 2011.