Taste in Men
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|"Taste in Men"|
|Single by Placebo|
|from the album Black Market Music|
|Released||17 July 2000|
|Songwriter(s)||Steve Hewitt, Brian Molko and Stefan Olsdal|
|Placebo singles chronology|
Music and reception
Gigwise ranked the track as Placebo's greatest hit, describing it as "bubbling, space-age blast of howling, claustrophobic electro-rock." Nevertheless, Pitchfork considered the song as an "lazy reprise the Roland 303 industrial funk of 'Pure Morning'."
The music video, directed by Barbara McDonogh, was filmed in the Central London Register office. It shows Molko involved in a bizarre love triangle with a rowing couple. Montages of Molko with both the man and the woman are sequenced throughout the video.
Live performance history
The song was a staple of the Black Market Music and Sleeping With Ghosts tours. Despite not appearing during the initial legs of the tour, it reappeared for the winter 2006 leg of the Meds tour and remained until the conclusion of the tour. It was the closing song for all shows on the Battle For The Sun tour. The song also appeared during the 2012 tour as the concluding song for all shows, but was dropped at the start of the Summer Festivals leg.
The bass riff is almost identical to Roger Waters' "Let There Be More Light" from the Pink Floyd album A Saucerful of Secrets. The track Block Rockin' Beats from the 1997 The Chemical Brothers album Dig Your Own Hole also reaps from the before mentioned Pink Floyd album.
- Taste in Men (Radio edit) – 4:02
- Theme from Funky Reverend – 2:54
- Taste in Men (Alpinestars Kamikaze Skimix) – 4:36
- Taste in Men (Album version) – 4:15
- Johnny and Mary – 3:24
- Taste in Men (Adrian Sherwood Go Go dub mix) – 4:19
|UK Singles Chart||16|
- "Placebo's Greatest Hits, Ranked In Order of Greatness". Gigwise. 6 August 2015. Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- Cooper, Paul (8 May 2000). "Placebo: Black Market Music | Album Reviews | Pitchfork". Pitchfork. Retrieved 30 October 2011.
- "I'm the Anti-Eminem". Melody Maker. 20 October 2000. Archived from the original on 20 February 2008. Retrieved 26 June 2013.
- "Placebo - Official Single Charts". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 28 September 2013.