|Industry||Digital media, web video, entertainment|
|Founder||Larry Fitzgibbon |
|Services||Multimedia, digital video|
Founded in 2012 by Larry Fitzgibbon, Steven Kydd and Joe Perez in Santa Monica, California, Tastemade is a global, digital food and travel network for millennials that lets users explore cuisine from around the world through a mix of original content and user-submitted videos. Tastemade’s content reaches over 100 million people a month across over 200 countries. Tastemade's content is available on Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, AppleTV, Pinterest, Roku, Tastemade's website and the service's app. More than half of Tastemade's views happen on mobile devices and connected TVs.
In 2014, Tastemade's original program Thirsty For… won a James Beard Award in the New Media category for Video Webcast, Fixed Location and/or Instructional. That same year, The Perennial Plate, a documentary series about sustainable food practices on the Tastemade network, also won a James Beard Award in the New Media category for Video Webcast, on Location. The Grill Iron, a Tastemade travel show about college football tailgating, generated over 5 million total views and was nominated for a James Beard Award in 2015. Later, The Grill Iron became Tastemade’s first show to migrate from digital to broadcast television in September 2015. In 2016, Tastemade won a Webby Award in the Online Film & Video category for Documentary Series for its show, Heritage.
Tastemade was the third most viewed channel in the world on Facebook in July 2016. In July 2015, Facebook began testing a revenue sharing program with its video partners, Tastemade being among them. Tastemade is also part of Facebook's Anthology program, which creates video ads by teaming up advertisers and publishers. In April 2016, Tastemade announced an agreement with Facebook to produce and air 100 Facebook Live shows every month.
Tastemade debuted as one of Snapchat’s new publishers on its Discover platform in August 2015, producing original food and travel content for the app on a daily basis. The following month, Tastemade's Snapchat Discover channel launched in the United Kingdom and France. Tastemade’s Snapchat channel was nominated for a Webby Award in 2016.
In 2014, Tastemade announced $25 million in series C funding, led by Scripps Networks Interactive with participation by Liberty Media Corporation, bringing the startup’s total funding to $40 million. In December 2015, Tastemade secured a $40 million Series D funding round led by Goldman Sachs, with participation from existing investors Redpoint Ventures, Raine Ventures, Comcast Ventures, Liberty Media, Scripps Networks Interactive, and Tohokushinsha Film Corporation, bringing the total funding to $80 million. In October 2018, Tastemade closed a $35M Series E funding round led by Goldman Sachs Growth Equity along with new investors Amazon and Cool Japan Fund, with participation from existing investors including Redpoint Ventures, Raine Ventures, Comcast Ventures, and Liberty Media, bringing total funding to $115 million. 
Tastemade's original programming includes the shows Thirsty For…, Alice in Paris, 8-Bit Cooking School, All the Pizza, One for the Road, Food Court, and Grand Opening—Bondi Harvest. Its show, Tiny Kitchen, which focuses on dishes being made in a miniature kitchen, has been featured on ABC News.
Tastemade's original programming has attracted sponsors including Grey Goose, Stella Artois, Chase, Kraft Foods, General Mills, Hyundai, American Express, Visa, San Pellegrino, Starbucks, Unilever and others. Tastemade released the findings of a study commissioned from Nielsen which showed that integrating brands into the content resonated better with viewers. Specifically, the study found that brand integration resulted in much higher brand affinity, perception and recall, and increased purchase intent by 30 percent.
Selected List of Programs
- Raw. Vegan. Not Gross
- Alice in Paris
- Frankie's World
- Day of Gluttony
- Grill Iron
- Local Flight
- Thirsty For...
- Off Menu
- All Nighter
- Tiny Kitchen
- All the Pizza
- Struggle Meals
- Rankin Nassel, Kenrya HOW STEVEN KYDD IS TAKING ON THE FOOD NETWORK ONE WEB VIDEO AT A TIME Fast Company. September 15, 2016
- Spangler, Todd YouTube Network Tastemade Raises $25 Million Led by Scripps, Liberty Media Variety. September 15, 2016.
- Spangler, Todd Apple TV Adds TED Talks, Tastemade and Young Hollywood Channels Variety. September 15, 2016
- Lawler, Ryan Meet Tastemade, The YouTube Network For Food Lovers Tech Crunch. September 15, 2016
- The World's Top 10 Most Innovative Companies of 2015 in Food Fast Company. September 15, 2016
- Baysinger, Tim Tastemade Raises Another $40 Million for Its Booming Food-Video Business AdWeek. September 15, 2016
- Richwine, Lisa Online video site Vessel bets fans will pay for early access Reuters. September 15, 2016
- Peterson, Tim With New Funds From TV Companies, YouTube Net Tastemade Adds Shows AdvertisingAge. September 15, 2016
- Tastemade Serves Up A Win: Original Series Thirsty For… Honored At The 2014 James Beard Foundation Awards PR Newswire. October 6, 2016
- Ledbetter, Carly 2014 James Beard Award Winners Announced In Book, Broadcast, And Journalism Categories Huffington Post. October 6, 2016
- The Complete 2015 JBF Award Nominees James Beard Foundation. October 6, 2016
- The Grill Iron on Youtube Youtube. October 6, 2016
- Kafka, Peter Tastemade Graduates a Web Video Show to TV Recode. October 5, 2016
- Heritage The Webby Awards. October 5, 2016
- Fingas, Roger Apple TV app lineup expands with TED, Tastemade, Young Hollywood Apple Insider. October 6, 2016
- Rossignol, Joe Apple Adds New Apple TV Channels TED, Tastemade and Young Hollywood MacRumors. October 6, 2016
- Most Watched Facebook Creators: July 2016 Tubular Labs. October 5, 2016
- Ungerleider, Neal FACEBOOK TO START SHARING AD REVENUE WITH VIDEO PARTNERS Fast Company. October 6, 2016
- Ha, Anthony Facebook Gets Vice, The Onion, And More To Make “Anthology” Viral Videos For Advertisers TechCrunch. October 6, 2016
- Patel, Sahil Inside the Live gold rush: Tastemade plans to do 100 Facebook Live shows every month Digiday. October 5, 2016
- Roettgers, Janko Snapchat Adds Mashable, IGN, Tastemade to Discover Platform Variety. October 5, 2016
- Shields, Mike As Snapchat Pushes Into France, U.S. Media Companies Tag Along Wall Street Journal. October 5, 2016
- Tastemade Snapchat Discover The Webby Awards. October 5, 2016
- Spangler, Todd (2018-10-17). "Tastemade Raises $35 Million in Funding From Investors Including Amazon". Variety. Retrieved 2018-11-03.
- Jarvey, Natalie Tastemade Expands Food Programming to Include Animated, Scripted Series (Exclusive) The Hollywood Reporter. October 5, 2016
- Japanese Man Creates the Tiniest, Most Adorable Miniature Food Ever ABC News. October 5, 2016
- Tastemade to Bring Award-Winning Food Travel Program to Domestic Flights PR Newswire. December 12, 2016
- Shields, Mike Tastemade’s Fall Lineup Attracts Big Advertisers Without Ad Sales Wall Street Journal. December 12, 2016
- Patel, Sahil Tastemade Sees Success with Branded Originals, Plans to Do More The Video Ink. December 12, 2016
- Tastemade Content Boosts Brand Perceptions for Sponsoring Advertisers Market Watch. December 12, 2016
- Khatchatourian, Matt Ryan Seacrest Prods., Tastemade Ink Deal for Food TV Programming Variety. December 12, 2016
- Swisher, Kara Tasty Funding: Tastemade Raises $25 Million More from Scripps and Moves to Android Re/code. December 12, 2016