This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
|Formerly||Videsh Sanchar Nigam Limited (1986–2008)|
|BSE: 500483 |
|Founded||March 1986as VSNL|
|Founder||Government of India|
|Headquarters||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Amur Swaminathan Lakshminarayanan (MD & CEO)|
Number of employees
Tata Communications Limited (previously known as Videsh Sanchar Nigam Limited) is an Indian telecommunications company. It was previously a government-owned telecommunications service provider and under the ownership of Department of Telecommunications, Ministry of Communications, and the Government of India. It was then sold to Tata Group in 2008 under first Manmohan Singh ministry government.
Tata's communications provides network services and software-defined network platforms, such as Ethernet, SD-WAN, content delivery networks (CDNs), the internet, Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS), and private lines.[better source needed]
The business was founded as Videsh Sanchar Nigam Limited (VSNL) in 1986. Under the chairmanship of B. K. Syngal (1991-1998), VSNL launched the first publicly-available Internet plans in India in 1995. The international arm of VSNL (VSNL International) was launched in 2004. After the Government of India launched Disinvestment of Public Sector Units in India, VSNL was completely acquired by the Tata Group and renamed Tata Communications on 13 February 2008. 
Tata communications global network
In 2009, Tata Communications and Tyco Telecommunications completed the TGN-Intra Asia cable system.
In 2012, the company completed its network across Egypt linking Europe to India, and created a subsea fibre network that circumnavigates the world. The 9,280-kilometre (5,770 mi) Eurasian section of the Tata Global Network runs across the Mediterranean Sea and the Middle East, connecting Mumbai with Marseilles.
In January 2016, Windstream Communications announced it was extending its 100 Gigabit Ethernet (100G) network from New Jersey data center operator NJFX's presence at Tata's Cable Landing Station (CLS) in Wall Township, New Jersey, to Ashburn, Virginia's internet hub.
Tata Communications offers ethernet and private line services via a content delivery network and other support services, like security, satellite teleports, fibre-based video network and transcoding.[better source needed]
Subsidiaries of Tata Communications Ltd
Tata Communications Transformation Services (TCTS), a 100% subsidiary of Tata Communications Ltd, provides business transformation, managed network operations, network outsourcing, and consultancy services to telecommunication companies.
Tata Communications Payment Solutions Limited (TCPSL) formerly known as Tata Communications Banking InfraSolutions, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Tata Communications. It offers payment solutions to banks.
- "TIER IV Data Centre". giftsez.com. Retrieved 28 March 2023.
- "Tata Communications Ltd. Financials | 500483" (PDF). Tata Communications. Retrieved 19 April 2023.
- "Tata Communications gets nod to demerge surplus land". www.thehindubusinessline.com. 8 August 2019. Retrieved 20 June 2023.
- "About us | Tata Communications". www.tatacommunications.com. Retrieved 23 March 2017.
- Block, Daniel (1 February 2019). "How Reliance Jio is monopolising the telecom sector". The Caravan. Retrieved 21 May 2019.
- Sridhar, V. (9 January 1998). "Challenges of change". frontline.thehindu.com. Retrieved 11 July 2022.
- Mookerji, Nivedita (16 May 2020). "What Telecom Man reveals about India's business-politics links". Rediff. Retrieved 11 July 2022.
- "VSNL starts India's first Internet service today". www.dxm.org. 14 August 1995. Retrieved 11 July 2022.
- "'Father of Indian Internet' BK Syngal passes away". www.thehindubusinessline.com. 10 July 2022. Retrieved 11 July 2022.
- "Form 20-F". www.sec.gov. Retrieved 5 July 2023.
- "VSNL to be named Tata Communications". The Economic Times. 31 October 2007. ISSN 0013-0389. Retrieved 5 July 2023.
- "Tata Communications completes world's first wholly owned cable network ring around the world". www.businesswire.com. 22 March 2012. Retrieved 5 July 2023.
- "Windstream establishes 100G express route in red-hot Ashburn, Va. market via NJFX". fiercetelecom.com. 19 January 2016. Retrieved 30 January 2016.
- Communications, Tata. "Content Delivery Network > Tata Communications". cdn.tatacommunications.com. Retrieved 10 May 2017.
- Balakrishnan, Reghu (11 February 2016). "ST Telemedia set to buy Tata Communications Data Centre". livemint.com/. Retrieved 10 May 2017.
- "Tata Communications launches IZO". Totaltelecom. Retrieved 10 May 2017.
- "Tata Communications Helps Customers Proactively Mitigate IT Risk | Qualys, Inc". www.qualys.com. Retrieved 10 May 2017.