|Headquarters||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
Natarajan Chandrasekaran |
Tata Sons Limited is the holding company of the Tata Group and holds the bulk of shareholding in group companies. It was established as a trading enterprise in 1868. About 66% of the equity capital of Tata Sons is held by philanthropic trusts endowed by members of the Tata family. The biggest two of these trusts are the Sir Dorabji Tata Trust and Sir Ratan Tata Trust. Tata Sons is the owner of the Tata name and the Tata trademarks, which are registered in India and several other countries.
Natarajan Chandrasekaran took over as Chairman of Tata Sons on 21 February 2017. The company also undertook conversion from a public limited company to a private limited one in 2017;   the decision remains pending with NCLAT, as of August 2018.
The company is registered and located in Mumbai, India.
Operating companies under Tata Sons
- Tata Consultancy Services
- Tata Motors
- Tata Steel
- Tata Power
- Tata Global Beverages
- Tata Chemicals
- Tata Communications
- Tata Teleservices
- Taj Hotels Resorts and Palaces
Board of directors
- Natarajan Chandrasekaran (Chairman)
- Venu Srinivasan, Chairman and Managing Director of TVS Motor Company
- Vijay Singh
- Rajani Kanth
- Nitin Nohria
- Ronen Sen
- Farida Khambata
- Ajay Piramal
- Amit Chandra
- Ralf Speth
- Bhaskar Bhat
- Saurabh Agrawal
Total equity shares 404,142 (₹1,000 each)
|Shareholder||No of shares||Share-holding percentage|
|Shapoorji Pallonji Group||108||0.026723|
|Sterling Investment Corp||37120||9.18489|
|Sir Dorabji Tata Trust||113067||27.97705|
|Sir Ratan Tata Trust||95211||23.5588|
|Tata Investment Corp||326||0.080665|
|Sarvajanik Seva Trust||396||0.097985|
|RD Tata Trust||8838||2.186855|
|Tata Social Welfare Trust||15075||3.730125|
|Tata Education Trust||15075||3.730125|
|JRD Tata Trust||16200||4.008492|
|Tata Global Beverages||1755||0.434253|
|Kalimati Investment Co (Now Tata SteeL)||12375||3.062043|
|Tata International Ltd||1477||0.365466|
|Jimmy Naval Tata||3262||0.807142|
|Vera Farhad Choksey||157||0.038848|
|HH Maharawal Virendra Singh Chauhan||1||0.000247|
|MK Tata Trust||2421||0.599047|
Shapoorji Pallonji Mistry came to acquire shares of Tata Sons in 1930s when JRD Tata's younger brother, Dorab, in a fit of anger, sold his shares of Tata Sons to construction magnate Pallonji Mistry just after JRD Tata became Chairman in the early 1930s. His shareholding is divided equally between his two sons, Shapoor Mistry and Cyrus Mistry.
- "Tata Sons via @tatacompanies".
- "Tata Sons looks to shed its public ltd tag for pvt ltd". Times of India. Sep 16, 2017. Retrieved 9 July 2018.
- "Tata Sons' shareholders vote to become a private company". Economic Times. Sep 22, 2017. Retrieved 9 July 2018.
- ET NOW (Aug 24, 2018). "NCLAT refuses to stay Tata Sons conversion to private co". The Economic Times. Times of India. Retrieved 20 September 2018.
- Alikhan, Anvar. "The mysterious man who owns one solitary share in the unlisted Tata Sons". Scroll.in. Retrieved 2017-03-28.