Tatanagar Junction railway station
|Indian RailwaysJunction Station|
|Owned by||Indian Railway|
|Line(s)||Tatanagar-Bilaspur section of Howrah-Nagpur-Mumbai line,
Tatanagar-Gourmahisani-Badampahar branch line
|Fare zone||South Eastern Railway|
|Passengers||21,025 per day|
The Tatanagar Railway Station (Hindi: टाटानगर रेलवे स्टेशन), station code TATA, is the main railway station serving the city of Jamshedpur in the Indian state of Jharkhand. Previously, it belonged to the state of Bihar before a portion of south Bihar came to be incorporated into the new state of Jharkhand.
Tatanagar is a Junction station and is located on the Howrah-Nagpur-Mumbai line of the Indian Railways. It has 5 platforms and handles around 100 trains each day. Most westbound and northbound trains and some important trains to other parts of the country originate at Tatanagar Railway Station.
The Tatanagar Railway Station is more than a century old. Sakchi was identified as the ideal site for the envisaged steel plant in December 1907. In 1910, the village Kalimati which was near to sakchi got itself a railway station on BNR's Howrah-Bombay route.The railways from then on were the life-line of the steel plant established by the Tatas. The name of the Railway station was later changed to Tatanagar in honour of its founder Jamsetji Tata. Tatanagar—Rourkela section was the second 25kV AC electrified section of the country, the first being Burdwan-Mughalsarai (in 1957).
The Tatanagar Railway Station was built by famous Railway Contractor of the town, Nanji Govindji Taunk and his son Ranchhod Nanji Taunk of Nanji Govindji & Sons of Bistupur, who belonged to KGK Community, a community noted for their contributions in building Railway lines of India.
Tatanagar railway junction is an important station in the Howrah—Mumbai route, and to other places such as New Delhi, Chennai, Visakhapatnam and Orissa. It is the biggest station of South Eastern Railway in terms of passenger footfalls per day. It falls under South Eastern Railway Zone and Chakradharpur division. More than a 100 trains ply from this route at any given day. It is also a major transit point for citizens from various parts of the state. It is one of the busiest trunk routes section of Eastern India mainly due to being in the main line for passengers as well as goods train. It currently has 6 platforms. 5 are for major trains while one (platform 1B) is used for some passenger trains.
The station is a category A station and houses all the major facilities like AC Retiring rooms, Waiting rooms, Cafeteria, Bookshop, etc. Existing facilities are being revamped for developing it as a model station. The linking of the existing footbridge to the outside of the railway station has been completed which before produced a huge rush of passengers from the main gate which was quite troublesome for the incoming passengers.
The entry of vehicles in the station premises is allowed. There is vehicle parking facility on payment basis. The auto-rickshaws now have a special lane for entry and exit. The entry and exit points now have computerized monitoring units that check vehicles entering and coming out of the railway station. Close circuit television cameras are being installed in the parking area to monitor the people as well as vehicles. The station has also won the award for "best maintained station of South Eastern Railway Division for the year 2009-2010."
The station is set to undergo massive re-modernization seeing the increased influx of passengers. Some of them are:
- Shifting up of unreserved ticket counters from the existing premises to the computerized passenger reservation system building. The unreserved counters will take the ground floor while the reservation counters would be shifted to first floor.
- The existing parcel office at pf 1 is to be shifted to extended region of the platform (near the vehicle over bridge) to reduce congestion. and to develop additional waiting hall.
- A new entrance from the Burma mines end is under construction to facilitate passengers from Sakchi, Golmuri, Telco areas. The old vehicle-over-bridge would be used as a foot bridge for entry of passengers. Ticket counters are also to be made at that end.
- Separate lanes as well as parking facilities for public and private vehicles in order to reduce congestion near the entrance.
- The proposed second footbridge has also been sanctioned.
- AC dormitory has been commissioned in June'13.
- AC executive paid lounge in under construction
- Modular standard Signages will be provided shortly
- Digital Train Info displays, reservation availability displays, reservation enquiry kiosks provided
- Mechanized cleaning of platforms and trains provided
- Mechanized Laundry for Train Linen washing provided
The Railway Station is a major station of South Eastern Railway's and houses a number of non-passenger related facilities like Loco sheds, Washing lines etc. in its premises. A new advanced washing line is also coming up in the complex.
Apart from this Adityapur has a goods yard which is used by Tata Steel for receiving/dispatch and parking of raw material/finished steel rakes. A proposed sick line is also going to come up there. The station facilities(yard) have been recently enhanced seeing need arising out of the expansion of the Tata Steel plant capacity from 6.8 MT to 10 MT.
|S.No.||Train No.||Train name||Source - destination|
|1||22823||Bhubneswar Rajdhani Express||To New.Delhi from Bhubneswar(MON,TUE,THU,FRI)|
|2||12801||Puroshottam Express||To New.Delhi from Puri|
|3||12819||Orissa Sampark Kranti Express||To New.Delhi from Bhubaneswar|
|4||18477||Utkal Express||To Haridwar(via New.Delhi) from Puri|
|5||12875||Neelachal Express||To New.Delhi from Puri|
|6||18101||Tata Jammu Tawi Express||To Jammu (via OldDelhi).|
|7||18103||Jalianwala Bagh Express||To Amritsar|
|8||12860||Gitanjali Express||To Mumbai from Howrah|
|9||18030||Shalimar - LTT Kurla (T) Express||To Mumbai LTT from Shalimar(Howrah)|
|10||18111||Tata Yeshwantpur Express via Secundrabad||To YPR|
|11||12102||Jnaneshwari Super Delx Express||To Mumbai from Howrah|
|12||12870||Howrah CSTM Superfast Express||To Mumbai from Howrah|
|13||12810||Howrah Mumbai Mail (Via Nagpur)||To Mumbai from Howrah|
|14||18189||Tata Alleppy Express||To Alappuzha (via Chennai).|
|15||15930||Dibrugarh Chennai Express||To Chennai from Dibrugarh Town|
|16||15630||Guwahati Chennai Express||To Chennai from Guwahati|
|17||12834||Howrah Ahmedabad Express||To Ahmedabad from Howrah|
|18||12906||Howrah Porbander okha Express||To Porbander/Okha from Howrah|
|19||12130||Howrah-Pune Azad Hind Express||To Pune from Howrah|
|20||12889||Tata Yeswantpur Express||To Bangalore|
|21||18006||Koraput Howrah Express||To Koraput from Howrah|
|22||12021||Barbil Howrah Janashatabdi||To Barbil from Howrah|
|23||12814||Tata Howrah Steel Express||To Howrah|
|24||12872||Ispat Express||To Howrah from Titlagarh|
|25||22892||Ranchi Howrah Intercity Express||To Howrah from Ranchi|
|26||12865||Lalmati Express||To Purulia from Howrah|
|27||18616||Howrah Hatia Kriya Yoga Express||To Hatia from Howrah|
|28||22906||Howrah Happa Link Express||To Happa from Howrah|
|29||13287||South Bihar Express||From Durg to Rajendra Nagar Terminal(Patna)|
|30||18181||Tata Chapra Katihar Express||To Chapra\Katihar|
|31||18183||Tata Danapur Express||To Danapur|
|32||13302||Suvarna Rekha Express||To Dhanbad|
|33||12443||Haldia-Anand Vihar SF EXP||To Anand Vihar Terminal(Delhi) from Haldia(only Thurs.)|
|34||13511||Tata Asansol Express||To Asansol(Tues,Wed,Fri)|
|35||22857||Santragachi Anand Vihar T. SF Express||To Anand Vihar T. from Santragachi (Howrah)|
|36||18009||Santragachi Ajmer WKLY SF||To Ajmer from Santragachi (Howrah)|
|37||19659||Shalimar Udaipur City WKLY Express||To Udaipur from Shalimar (Kolkata)|
|Sl.No.||Train No.||Train name|
|1||78031||Tata-BadamPahar Mixed Passenger|
|12||68011||Kharagpur-Tata EMU Local|
|13||68056||Tata-Asansol EMU Local|
|14||68024||JGM- PRR EMU Local|
|15||68019||JGM- Dhanbad EMU Local|
Apart from this eight new trains are scheduled to be routed through Tatanagar in 2010. The trains are Howrah-Pune Duronto Express,Howrah-Shirdi Sainagar Express, Guwahati-Kurla Karmabhoomi Express and Shalimar-Gorakhpur Express. The two passenger trains are Jhargram-Barabhum MEMU local and Tata-Hatia Passenger.
- "Station Re-development Data - Tata Nagar(TATA)". Central Railway Zone - Indian Railways. Retrieved 1 February 2016.
- Shree Kutch Gurjar Kshatriya Samaj : A brief History & Glory of our fore-fathers(2007) :by Raja Pawan Jethwa (Calcutta). Section II: Mileage wise available Details of Railway lines laid.
- Nanji Bapa ni Nondh-pothi (1999) : by Dharshi J. Tank (Vadodara).
- "Bridge to ease station rush". Calcutta, India: The Telegraph. 2009-12-29. Retrieved 22 May 2010.
- Majumdar, Pinaki (2008-11-07). "The Telegraph - Calcutta (Kolkata) | Jharkhand | Swanky rail station on cards". The Telegraph (Calcutta). Retrieved 2012-06-30.
- "The Signal's Red". Indian Express. 2010-07-04. Retrieved 2012-06-30.
- "Makeover bid for Tata station". The Telegraph (Calcutta). 13 August 2010.
- "Friendly Tatanagar proposes toast to passengers". The Telegraph (Calcutta). 21 August 2010.
- Majumdar, Pinaki (30 June 2010). "Eight new trains allotted to Tatanagar". The Telegraph (Calcutta). Calcutta, India.
Jamshedpur travel guide from Wikivoyage