Tatebayashi city hall
Location of Tatebayashi in Gunma Prefecture
|• Mayor||Kazuo Yasuraoka (since April 2007)|
|• Total||60.97 km2 (23.54 sq mi)|
|Population (February 2015)|
|• Density||1,260/km2 (3,300/sq mi)|
|Time zone||Japan Standard Time (UTC+9)|
|- Tree||Pinus thunbergii|
|- Flower||Rhododendron obtusum|
|- Bird||Anas poecilorhyncha|
|Address||1-1 Shiromachi, Tatebayashi-shi, Gunma-ken 374-8501|
Tatebayashi (館林市 Tatebayashi-shi?) is a city located in southeastern Gunma Prefecture in the northern Kantō region of Japan. As of February 2015, the city had an estimated population of 75,560 and a population density of 1260 persons per km². Its total area was 60.97 km². Tatebayashi is famous for Azalea Hill Park and Bunbuku Chagama of Morinji Temple.
Tatebayashi is located in the extreme southeastern portion of Gunma Prefecture in the Kantō Plains, bordered by Tochigi Prefecture to the north. The Tone River and Watarase Rivers pass through the city.
Tatebayashi Town was created within Ōra District, Gunma Prefecture on April 1, 1889 with the creation of the municipalities system after the Meiji Restoration. On April 1, 1954 the town of Tatebayashi and the villages of Satoya, Ōshima, Akabane, Rokugō, Minoya, Tatara, and Watarase merged to form the city Tatebayashi.
|This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (April 2015)|
Tatebayashi is a regional commercial center and transportation hub. Food processing dominates the manufacturing sector of the local economy.
There are two public and one private high school, five public middle schools and 11 public elementary schools in Tatebayashi
- Tobu Railway – Isesaki Line
- Tobu Railway – Sano Line
- Tobu Railway – Koizumi Line
- Site of Tatebayashi Castle
- Gunma Museum of Art, Tatebayashi
- Gunma Prefectural Tsutsujigaoka Park
- Jō-numa marsh
- Tatara-numa marsh
- Morinji Temple
- - Maroochy Shire Council, Australia, since July 1996
- - Kunshan, China, friendship city since 2004
- Shintomi, Tetsuo Student films documentary about Rohingya in Gunma Prefecture February 2, 2016 Japan Times Retrieved June 23, 2016
- Bleak prospects for Rohingya refugee in Japan September 3, 2013 Yomiuri Shimbun Retrieved June 23, 2016
- "Sister Cities and International Partnerships". http://business.sunshinecoast.qld.gov.au. Sunshine Coast Regional Council. May 6, 2015. External link in
- "Kunshan China". The People's Government of Kunshan. Retrieved May 7, 2015.
- "Biographical Data: CHIAKI MUKAI (M.D., PH.D.) JAXA ASTRONAUT (PAYLOAD SPECIALIST)". http://www.jsc.nasa.gov. National Aeronautics and Space Administration. October 2013. External link in
Media related to Tatebayashi, Gunma at Wikimedia Commons