Tattersalls Gold Cup
|Group 1 race|
Co. Kildare, Ireland
|Race type||Flat / Thoroughbred|
|Distance||1m 2½f (2,112 metres)|
|Qualification||Four-years-old and up|
|Weight||9 st 3 lb|
3 lb for fillies and mares
|Magical||Sir Dragonet||Search For A Song|
|Batshoof||Pirate Army||Glowing Star|
|Ile De Chypre||Executive Perk||Carroll House|
|Shady Heights||Fair Judgment||Hazy Bird|
The Tattersalls Gold Cup is a Group 1 flat horse race in Ireland open to thoroughbreds aged four years or older. It is run at the Curragh over a distance of 1 mile, 2 furlongs and 110 yards (2,112 metres), and it is scheduled to take place each year in May.
The event was established in 1962, and it was originally called the Ballymoss Stakes. It was named in honour of Ballymoss, a successful Irish-trained racehorse in the late 1950s. The first two runnings were held at Limerick Junction over 1 mile and 3½ furlongs (1962) and 1 mile and 4 furlongs (1963). During the early part of its history it was open to horses aged three or older.
The race was renamed the Rogers Gold Cup in 1984, and the minimum age was raised to four in 1985. Under the sponsorship of Tattersalls it became known as the Tattersalls Rogers Gold Cup, and this was shortened to the present title in 1993. For a period the event held Group 2 status, and it was promoted to Group 1 level in 1999.
Most successful horse (2 wins):
Leading jockey (6 wins):
- Michael Kinane – Cockney Lass (1987), Prince of Andros (1995), Definite Article (1996), Dance Design (1997), Montjeu (2000), Black Sam Bellamy (2003)
Leading trainer (9 wins):
- Aidan O'Brien – Black Sam Bellamy (2003), Powerscourt (2004), Duke of Marmalade (2008), Fame and Glory (2010), So You Think (2011, 2012), Lancaster Bomber (2018), Magical (2019, 2020)
Leading owner since 1980 (10 wins): (includes part ownership)
- Michael Tabor – Montjeu (2000), Black Sam Bellamy (2003), Hurricane Run (2006), Duke of Marmalade (2008), Fame and Glory (2010), So You Think (2011, 2012), Lancaster Bomber (2018), Magical (2019, 2020)
Winners since 1980
- 1962: T V
- 1963: Nardoo
- 1964: Glenrowan
- 1965: Hardicanute
- 1966: Radbrook
- 1967: White Gloves
- 1968: Candy Cane
- 1969: Selko
- 1970: Eucalyptus
- 1971: Rarity
- 1972: Assertive
- 1973: Cavo Doro
- 1974: Bog Road
- 1975: Hurry Harriet
- 1976: Yankee Gold
- 1977: Yankee Gold
- 1978: Exdirectory
- 1979: Dickens Hill
- List of Irish flat horse races
- Recurring sporting events established in 1962 – this race is included under its original title, Ballymoss Stakes.
- Racing Post:
- galopp-sieger.de – Tattersalls Gold Cup (ex Ballymoss Stakes).
- ifhaonline.org – International Federation of Horseracing Authorities – Tattersalls Gold Cup (2019).
- irishracinggreats.com – Tattersalls Gold Cup (Group 1).
- pedigreequery.com – Tattersalls Rogers Gold Cup – Curragh.