Tattoo (Van Halen song)
|Single by Van Halen|
|from the album A Different Kind of Truth|
|Released||January 10, 2012|
|Recorded||January 2, 2012|
|Writer(s)||Eddie Van Halen, David Lee Roth, Alex Van Halen, Wolfgang Van Halen|
|Producer(s)||Van Halen and John Shanks|
|Van Halen singles chronology|
The song's structure is based largely on a song entitled "Down in Flames," which was written in 1977 and played live by Van Halen during their "Club Days" as well as their 1st World Tour in 1978. When the band decided to cover Clint Ballard Jr.'s song "You're No Good" for their second album, Van Halen II, they incorporated the intro from "Down in Flames" as the intro to their arrangement.
A version of the song was worked on during the aborted 2001 reunion with Roth according to Ray Luzier.
"Tattoo" became Van Halen's first single to chart on the American Billboard Hot 100 in 17 years, and their 23rd overall.
A 30-second "teaser" clip of the song was posted on January 6, 2012. The official single release was announced as January 10 after Van Halen played an intimate club gig at the Cafe Wha?
- David Lee Roth - lead vocals, synthesizer
- Eddie Van Halen - guitar, backing vocals
- Alex Van Halen - drums
- Wolfgang Van Halen - bass guitar, backing vocals
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||62|
|Japan (Japan Hot 100)||14|
|US Billboard Hot 100||67|
|US Billboard Rock Songs||16|
- "Van Halen - Down In Flames". YouTube. 2007-01-14. Retrieved 2012-01-11.
- "Korn Drummer Ray Luzier Talks 'The Path of Totality,' Van Halen, MCA + More". Loudwire.com. 2012-05-16. Retrieved 2012-07-25.
- Graham, Mark (2012-01-06). "Van Halen Dazzles During Intimate Reunion Concert At Cafe Wha? | VH1 Tuner". Vh1.com. Retrieved 2012-01-11.
- "Top 100 Music Hits, Top 100 Music Charts, Top 100 Songs & The Hot 100". Billboard.com. 2012-07-21. Retrieved 2012-07-25.
- "Van Halen – Chart history" Japan Hot 100 for Van Halen.
- "Music Chart Analysis, Artist Spotlights, Music Insider, Chart Beat & News". Billboard.com. 2012-07-20. Retrieved 2012-07-25.