|Born||Tatyana Nikitichna Tolstaya
3 May 1951
Leningrad, USSR (now Saint Peterburg, Russia)
|Occupation||Writer, TV host, publicist, novelist, essayist|
|Alma mater||Saint Petersburg State University|
|About Tatyana Tolstaya (Russian)|
Tolstaya was born in Leningrad into a family of writers. Her paternal grandfather, Aleksei Nikolaevich Tolstoy, was a pioneering science fiction writer, and Natalia Krandievskaya, his wife, was a poet. Mikhail Lozinsky, her maternal grandfather, was a literary translator. Tolstaya's sister, Natalia was a writer as well. Her son, Artemy Lebedev, is the founder-owner of Art. Lebedev Studio, a Russian web design firm.
Life and work
Tolstaya received her education at the department of classical philology of the Leningrad State University. She moved to Moscow in the early 1980s and started working in the Nauka publishing house.
Her first short story, "On a Golden Porch" (На златом крыльце сидели), appeared in Avrora magazine in 1983 and marked the start of Tolstaya's literary career. Her novel The Slynx/Kys (Кысь, 2000) is a dystopian novel filled with literary allusions. She co-hosts a Russian television programme, The School for Scandal (Школа злословия, named after a play by Richard Sheridan). She conducts interviews with representatives of contemporary Russian culture and politics.
- Tolstaya, Tatyana (1989). On the golden porch. Translated by Antonina W. Bouis. New York: Knopf.
- — (1990) . On the golden porch. Reprint. Translated by Antonina W. Bouis. New York: Vintage.
- — (1990) . On the golden porch and other stories. Reprint. Translated by Antonina W. Bouis. Penguin.
- Sleepwalker in a Fog, Alfred A. Knopf, New York, 1991, then Vintage Books, 1993; ISBN 0-679-73063-X
- The Slynx New York Review of Books Classics, 2007; ISBN 1-59017-196-9
- White Walls New York Review of Books Classics, 2007; ISBN 1-59017-197-7
Essays and reporting
- Tolstaya, Tatyana (December 22–29, 2014). Translated by Jamey Gambrell. "Bus Stop". Inner Worlds. The New Yorker 90 (41): 123. Retrieved 2015-03-31.
- Ratings of top 100 leading Web design firms in Russia −2013 (Russian) Google translation
- Profile, rbth.com, 13 May 2015.
- About Tatyana Tolstaya (Russian)
- Tolstaya in the Internet litcafe (Russian)
- Several reviews of Kys (Russian)
- Kys, some short stories and essays in full text from lib.ru (Russian)
- The short story "See the other side" in english translation in The New Yorker
- The short story "Yorick" in english translation in The New Yorker