Qureshi at Dumru The drum festival. In Dec, 2012.
|Birth name||Taufiq Qureshi|
|Born||1962 (age 56–57)|
|Genres||Indian classical music, Fusion|
|Instruments||Djembe, Percussions, Vocal percussion|
Taufiq Quereshi started his career early. His stint with live performances began with the creation of his own world music band, ‘Surya’ way back in 1986-87. He has been featured as a performing artiste on the 2009 Grammy award winning album Global Drum Project, Remember Shakti, Masters of Percussion and Summit. He collaborates with various classical artists for fusion concerts.
A dedicated self-learner, Taufiq soon discovered his greatest asset; ‘a feel for the world of sound with all its intricate nuances’. This quality makes him one of the most sought after rhythm-programmers, arranger-composers and percussionists in the world of studio recordings (film background scores, T.V. serials, ad-jingles, albums, etc.).
He plays a variety of percussion instruments like djembe, duff, bongos, batajon. He is the first artiste to have developed a unique rhythmic language to adapt the tabla syllables on the African drum called Djembe.
Taufiq’s trademark style incorporates body and vocal percussions to create unique rhythmic motifs spanning across cultures.
Recently Taufic has been honored by Sandeep Marwah with the life membership of International Film And Television Club of Asian Academy of Film & Television at Marwah Studio, Noida Film City. He has been teaching students for over a decade.
AWARDS: GOLD at the CANNES FILM FESTIVAL (2010–11) for Best Music for the INDIAN RAILWAYS JINGLE. GOLD at the LONDON INTERNATIONAL AWARDS -LasVegas (Nov 2013) for Original Music for the NIKE JINGLE- Parallel Journey
He has also been a part of background score and music for movies like Damini, Train To Pakistan, Ghatak, Agnivarsha, Ashoka, Mission Kashmir, Black, Dil Chahta Hai, Devdaas Sawariya, Dhoom 2, Bhool Bhulaiya, Parzania (2007), Tere Naam (2008), Jab We Met (2010–11), Action Replay (2010–11), Housefull 2(2011), Tez (2012), ABCD (AnyBody Can Dance)(2013), Bhaag Milkha Bhaag (2013). Fluent in Marathi, Taufiq has been judge on Zee Marathi, Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Marathi version.
Taufiq Qureshi is married to Geetika Varde, a vocalist of the Jaipur-Atrauli gharana. He has one son, Shikhar Naad Qureshi, who currently studies at St. Xavier's College, Mumbai.Shikhar is also a rhythm player and performs on stage as well.
- Rhydhun (2000)
- Swar Utsav - Streams In Confluence (2001)
- Rhydhun Gold (2002)
- Mondo Beat - Masters of Percussion
- India The Greatest Songs Ever
- Taalisma (2002)
- Colours of Rajasthan (1995)
- PercJam (2003)
- Bombay Fever (2006)
- Mystic Soundscapes - Forest (2007)
- Rooh - Songs From The Heart (2007)
- TaDhaa- An Expression Of High Energy (2011)
- The Oath Of Vaayuputras (2013)
- Aami  Malayalam film
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 9 September 2012. Retrieved 2 November 2009.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 10 July 2012. Retrieved 2 November 2009.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- 1951-, Hussain, Zakir,. Zakir Hussain : a life in music. Kabir, Nasreen Munni,. Noida, Uttar Pradesh, India. ISBN 9789352770496. OCLC 1021880009.