|Federal subject||Far Eastern Federal District|
The enclosed area is ca. 10 000 km², and the average depth 50–60 m (165-196 ft). The Arman, Ola, Yana and Taui rivers drain into the bay. The city of Magadan is situated the centrally at the end of the bay, on the shore of the smaller Nagayeva Bay.
Taui Bay was frequented by American whaleships between 1849 and 1874. They primarily caught bowhead whales, but also caught gray whales on occasion. The bark Isabella, of New Bedford, reported as many as thirty ships in the bay, all whaling. These ships usually sought shelter to obtain wood and water, flense whales, or boil oil in Fabius Harbor, between the mainland and Fabius Island (Ostrov Nedorazumeniya), or Jeannette Harbor (Nagayeva Bay), under Jeannette Point (Mys Chirikova). Some traded calico for fresh salmon from the natives.
- Good Return, of New Bedford, July 28-Aug. 3, 1849, Old Dartmouth Historical Society (ODHS); Florida, of New Bedford, June 15-Sep. 27, 1852, ODHS; Isabella, of New Bedford, June 20-Aug. 23, 1853, May 31-June 2, Aug. 28-Oct. 1, 1854, Nicholson Whaling Collection (NWC); Betsey Williams, of Stonington, July 1-Sep. 20, 1853, Kendall Whaling Museum (KWM); Daniel Wood, of New Bedford, Aug. 17-Oct. 8, 1853, Aug. 17-Oct. 9, 1854, June 20-Oct. 6, 1855, NWC; Pacific, of Fairhaven, June 23-Sept. 12, 1855, NWC; Onward, of New Bedford, June 7–22, 1856, NWC; Cincinnati, of Stonington, May 27-June 18, 1858, May 24-June 7, 1859, NWC; Cicero, of New Bedford, June 17–18, 1863, KWM; Sea Breeze, of New Bedford, Oct. 5-7, 1866, Sep. 20-26, 1868, ODHS; Northern Light, of New Bedford, Aug. 21-23, 1874, ODHS.
- Williams, Harold (1964). One whaling family. Boston: Houghton Mifflin.
- Isabella, Aug. 20, 1853, NWC.
- Daniel Wood, Sep. 5, 1853, Aug. 19, 1854, NWC; Pacific, Aug. 13, 1855, NWC; Onward, June 9, 1856, NWC.
- Betsey Williams, Aug. 4, 1853, KWM; Daniel Wood, Sep. 9–10, 1853, NWC; Cincinnati, June 7, 1859, NWC.
- Betsey Williams, July 9, 14, Aug. 23, 1853, KWM.
|This Magadan Oblast location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|