Tawas Point State Park
|Tawas Point State Park|
Tawas Point Light
|Location||Baldwin Township, Iosco County, Michigan, USA|
|Nearest city||East Tawas, Michigan|
|Area||183 acres (74 ha)|
|Governing body||Michigan Department of Natural Resources|
Tawas Point State Park is a Michigan state park located in Northern Michigan near the city of East Tawas. It is just over an hour drive from the Saginaw and Bay City area and a little over three hours from the Detroit area. The park contains 183 acres (0.74 km2) situated on the end of a sand spit that forms Tawas Bay. It has been referred to as the "Cape Cod of the Midwest." The campground is located on Tawas Bay where the water is shallow and warm for swimming. Located within the park is the Tawas Point Light. Although it has been remodeled several times, the station serves as the sole representative of a true Victorian-era style station built on the Great Lakes. The Lighthouse is now open for tours and climbing with a small gift shop on site; it is also possible to stay in the keeper's quarters.
The park is located along the Lake Huron Flyway. This is considered to be an especially good locale for birding. It is said to be the most important "migrant trap" in the Saginaw Bay area, and 297 species have been seen in and around the park. A fairly complete list of migratory birds that frequent the area is available. Described as a "bird watchers' paradise," it has also been officially recognized as an important bird area by the National Audubon Society because it "[s]upports an incredible diversity and abundance of passerine migrants each spring and fall."
Tawas Point Celebration Days is a family-oriented celebration of American heritage held the second weekend in June. There are many activities, including historical and educational displays, lighthouse tours, demonstrations of traditional crafts (e.g., blacksmithing, children's activities, fishing derby, guided hikes, muzzle loader demonstrations, period encampments with reenactors in period dress, spinning, traditional music, weaving, and wood carving. The weekend is sponsored by the Friends of Tawas Point State Park.
- "Tawas Point State Park Detail". michigandnr.com.
- Bruce M. Bowman. "Bird Checklist for Tawas Point State Park". umich.edu.
- Nature Observation at Tawas Point
- Audubon Society, Important Bird Area description of Tawas Point and Tawas Bay.
- "Wildernet.com - Tawas Point State Park, Michigan State Parks and Forests". wildernet.com.
- Tawas Point State Park Michigan Department of Natural Resources
- Tawas Birdwatching Nordic Sports
- Tawas Point State Park Wildernet
- Tawas Point State Park Protected Planet (World Database on Protected Areas)