The name Taylor comes from those who used to hold the occupation of tailor, as seen above.
|Region of origin||England|
Taylor (\ta(y)-lor\) is a surname in the English language which originated as an occupational surname (meaning tailor) in England It is derived from the Old French tailleur ("cutter"), which is in turn derived from the Late Latin taliator, from taliare ("to cut"). The first historical evidence of the surname dates to the County of Somerset, South West England in 1182. Taylor is the fifth-most common surname in England, the 11th-most common in Scotland and the 22nd-most common in Wales. It is also common in other English speaking countries (especially Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and the United States, where it was the tenth most frequently encountered surname in the 2000 US Census), but has a low incidence in Ireland, where it is mostly concentrated in the North. It is often the anglicized form of the German surname Schneider.
- 1. Kincardineshire (1: 75)
- 2. Kinross-shire (1: 89)
- 3. Lancashire (1: 90)
- 4. Worcestershire (1: 100)
- 5. Orkney (1: 100)
- 6. Aberdeenshire (1: 101)
- 7. Derbyshire (1: 102)
- 8. Banffshire (1: 103)
- 9. Westmorland (1: 106)
- 10. Herefordshire (1: 111)
As of 2014, the frequency of the surname was highest in the following countries and territories:
As of 2014, 57.9% of all known bearers of the surname Taylor were residents of the United States. The frequency of the surname was higher than national average (1: 407) in the following U.S. states:
The frequency of the surname was highest (over four times the national average) in the following U.S. counties:
- Taylor Meaning at Forebears
- Archived 8 August 2011 at WebCite
- Tailor at Oxford Dictionaries
- "Learn about the family history of your surname". Ancestry.com. Retrieved 14 October 2010. which cited Dictionary of American Family Names. Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-508137-4. for the surname "Taylor".
- Cottle, Basil (1967). Penguin Dictionary of Surnames. Baltimore, MDISBN:: Penguin Books. ISBN 978-0-14-051032-4.
- "Surname: Taylor". surnamedb.com. Retrieved 2008-02-01.
- Archived 16 February 2002 at WebCite
- United States Census Bureau (9 May 1995). s:2000 Census Name Files dist.all.last (1-100). Retrieved on 10-5-2010.
- German-speaking immigrants to English-speaking countries often anglicized the name to Taylor.
- Taylor Surname Distribution