Tazza: The Hidden Card
|Tazza: The Hidden Card|
|Hangul||타짜: 신의 손|
|Revised Romanization||Tajja: Sineui Son|
|McCune–Reischauer||T‘acha: Sin-ŭi Son|
|Directed by||Kang Hyeong-cheol|
|Produced by||Lee Anna|
|Written by||Jo Sang-beom|
by Huh Young-man and Kim Se-yeong
|Music by||Kim Jun-seok|
|Edited by||Nam Na-yeong|
|Distributed by||Lotte Entertainment|
CJ Entertainment (international)
|Box office||US$31 million|
Tazza: The Hidden Card (Korean: 타짜: 신의 손; RR: Tajja: Sineui Son; lit. "Tazza: Hand of God") is a 2014 South Korean gambling film directed by Kang Hyeong-cheol based on Huh Young-man and Kim Se-yeong's manhwa of the same name.
After Ham Dae-gil enters the gambling world, he is set up as the fall guy in a crooked deal. To get revenge, he enters a final game which could be fatal to the loser.
- Choi Seung-hyun (T.O.P) as Ham Dae-gil
- Jung Yun-seok as young Dae-gil
- Shin Se-kyung as Heo Mi-na
- Kwak Do-won as Jang Dong-sik
- Lee Ha-nui as President Woo
- Yoo Hae-jin as Ko Gwang-ryeol
- Kim Yoon-seok as Agui
- Lee Geung-young as Kko-jang
- Kim In-kwon as Heo Gwang-chul, Mi-na's older brother
- Oh Jung-se as Director Seo
- Park Hyo-joo as Little Madam
- Go Soo-hee as Madam Song
- Kim Joon-ho as Yu-ryeong ("Ghost")
- Lee Dong-hwi as Jjari ("Worth")
- Kim Won-hae as Artist Jo
- Lee Jun-hyeok as Benjie
- Kim Min-sang as Dr. Hwang
- Jo Kyung-hyun as young Mr. Kim
- Son Sang-gyeong as Father Jang
- Park Su-yeong as Chang-sik
- Im Jung-eun as Dae-gil's mother
- Lee Dong-yong as Auto repair owner
- Ha Seong-gwang as The Dark Knight of Ansan
- Song Jae-ryong as Gambling den bouncer
- Kim Dae-myung as Billiards hall owner
- Yoon Kyeong-ho as Gambler in billiards hall
- Nicky Lee as Ppappa
- Bae Yu-ram as "Halibut"
- Ahn Jae-hong as Woon-do
- Jung Da-won as Joong-ki
- Cha Seung-ho as Bribed detective
- Kwak Soo-jung as Wife of auto repair owner
- Lee Joon-ik as O-ring man (cameo)
- Oh Yeon-soo as Woman at the observatory (cameo)
- Yeo Jin-goo as Agui's pupil (cameo)
- Cha Tae-hyun as Radio DJ (cameo)
Due to the box office success of Choi Dong-hoon's gambling epic Tazza: The High Rollers (it attracted 6.84 million in admissions in 2006, making it one of the highest-grossing Korean films that year), production company Sidus FNH announced a sequel, with Jang Joon-hwan originally attached as screenwriter/director and a release planned for late 2008. But pre-production was later halted, and Jang pulled out of the film.
Speculation about a sequel continued, given that Tajja, the famous local comic series (or "manhwa") illustrated by Huh Young-man and written by Kim Se-yeong that served as the 2006 film's source material comes in four volumes, each with entirely different characters and settings. Tazza 2 is based on the second volume Tazza: Hand of God, which was published on November 16, 2006 by Random House Korea.
In 2012, Kang Hyeong-cheol signed on to direct the sequel, and casting was finalized in late 2013, with Choi Seung-hyun as lead character Ham Dae-gil, the nephew of Goni, the protagonist in Tazza: The High Rollers.
Awards and nominations
|51st Grand Bell Awards ||Best Director||Nominated|
|Best New Actress||Nominated|
|35th Blue Dragon Film Awards||Best Supporting Actress||Nominated|
|Popular Star Award||Won|
|51st Paeksang Arts Awards||Best New Actress||Nominated|
|4th Annual DramaFever Awards||Best Feature Film||Won|
- "TAZZA: THE HIDDEN CARD". Box Office Mojo. September 2014. Retrieved 28 January 2015.
- Sunwoo, Carla; Jang, Seo-young (1 August 2014). "Stakes are set high for Tazza sequel". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-09-20.
- Song, Da-in (29 August 2014). "Tazza sequel's success is a sure bet". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-09-20.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (26 August 2014). "Big Bang's T.O.P Talks about Filming with No Clothes On with Other Actors". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2014-09-20.
- Na, Won-jung (5 September 2014). "Now many people call him, actor CHOI Seung-hyun". Korean Cinema Today. Retrieved 2014-09-20.
- Bae, Joong-hyun (2 September 2014). "Shin goes gutsy in gambler role". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-09-20.
- Paquet, Darcy (6 May 2007). "Jang to direct Tazza sequel". Variety. Retrieved 2014-05-19.
- Lee, So-yeon (18 November 2013). "Big Bang's T.O.P, Shin Se Kyung and More to Star in Tazza 2". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2014-05-19.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (3 January 2014). "Tazza 2 Reveals First Stills of Big Bang's T.O.P". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2014-05-19.
- Chung, Joo-won (3 January 2014). "Shin Se-kyung, Choi Seung-hyun to co-star in Tazza 2". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2014-05-19.
- Lee, Sun-min (6 January 2014). "Tazza 2 set for release soon". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-05-19.
- Kim, June (12 November 2014). "The 51st Daejong Film Awards Nominations Announced". Korean Film Biz Zone. Retrieved 2014-11-12.