|Stable release||0.4.6 / April 3, 2015|
|Type||TeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt, XeTeX editor|
TeXworks is an open-source application software, available for Windows, Linux and OS X. It is a Qt-based graphical user interface to the typesetting system TeX and its extensions LaTeX, ConTeXt, and XeTeX. TeXworks is targeted at the direct generation of PDF output. It has a built-in PDF viewer using the poppler library; the viewer has auto-refresh capability and also features SyncTeX support (which allows the user to synchronize the PDF viewer position with the source and vice versa with a single click).
Its developer Jonathan Kew (who also developed XeTeX) deliberately modelled TeXworks on Dick Koch’s award-winning application software TeXShop for OS X to lower the entry barrier to the TeX world for those using desktop operating systems other than OS X. Kew argued against complex user interfaces like that of TeXnicCenter or Kile, which he described as intimidating for new users.
One limitation of TeXworks is that it does not by itself support multi-stage typesetting like for example PNG or SVG output via intermediate DVI. This is a design choice because such workflows are considered too advanced for the beginning user. The user has to write a shell or batch script to use such workflows with TeXworks.
- (Apr 2015) TeXworks 0.4.6 released
- (Apr 2013) TeXworks 0.4.5 released
- (Apr 2012) TeXworks 0.4.4 released
- (Jun 2011) TeXworks 0.4.3 released
- (Jun 2011) TeXworks 0.4.2 released
- (May 2011) TeXworks 0.4.1 released
- (Mar 2011) TeXworks 0.4.0 released
- (Oct 2009) TeXworks 0.2.3 released
- (Oct 2009) TeXworks 0.2.2 released
- (Oct 2009) TeXworks 0.2.1 released
- (Sep 2009) TeXworks 0.2.0 released
- First 5 minutes of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-Z43CSPgM0
- "Additional software included on Windows".
The TeX Live Guide (TeX Live 2009 pretest release). Retrieved 2009-10-18.
- "MiKTeX 2.8: Release Notes". 2009-09-01.
- MiKTeX-based alternative distribution for Windows: proTeXt
- Peter Hertel (2011). Arbeitsbuch Mathematik Zur Physik. Springer-Verlag. p. 135. ISBN 978-3-642-17789-7.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to TeXworks.|
- TeXworks – lowering the entry barrier to the TeX world
- TeX Users Group (Discuss the TeXworks front end)
- LaTeX-Community (Subforum for TeXworks)