A TeachMeet is an organised but informal meeting (in the style of an unconference) for teachers to share good practice, practical innovations and personal insights in teaching with technology. These events are often organised to coincide with other educational events like the Scottish Learning Festival and the British Educational Technology and Training Show BETT.
TeachMeet events are open to all and do not charge an entry fee.
Originally conceived in the summer of 2006 in Edinburgh, Scotland, under the name "ScotEduBlogs Meetup". The new name TeachMeet was created by Ewan McIntosh and agreed upon by the attendees of the first event. The 2nd Edition was held in Glasgow on the 20th of September 2006.
In 2010 TeachMeet 'Takeover' was introduced, where teachers took over vendors stands in the main conference to bring the TeachMeet discussion out of the Apex Room and onto the exhibition floor.
TeachMeets are now regular occurrences in Scotland, England, Northern Ireland, Australia, Canada, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Ireland, Sweden, the USA, New Zealand. In New Zealand the Teachmeet is virtual and is run totally via Google+ Hangout.
The following features are often part of a Teachmeet, but the format changes according to the size of the meeting and the preferences of the organisers:
- Micro-presentations - lasting 7 minutes
- Nano-presentations - lasting 2 minutes nano presentation (3-5 one after the other)
- Round-table break-outs - lasting 15 minutes or so, allowing focussed discussion around a theme, with a volunteer facilitator
- Random selection of speakers - from a pool of willing participants
- Back-channel - to let non-participants participate
- Scottish Learning Festival and TeachMeet  - www.bbc.co.uk/blogs, 22 September 2009, Claire McCallum |
- Scottish Learning Festival - Mini presentations make micro waves for ideas  - Times Educational Supplement - Published in TESS on 18 September 2009, Douglas Blan
- TeachMeet06 is open for business
- TeachMeet08 - Mark it in your diaries now!
- Teachers use 'speed dating' technique to swap ideas at Bett 2010
- Teachmeet UK
- https://irishteachmeet.wikispaces.com/ (IRL)
- Teechmeet at Wikispaces.com (USA)
- http://www.teachmeet.net/ (AUS)
- http://www.teachmeetnz.wikispaces.com/ (NZ)