Teach Me How to Dougie
|"Teach Me How to Dougie"|
|Single by Cali Swag District|
|from the album The Kickback|
|Released||April 12, 2010|
|Length||3:59 (explicit version)|
3:01 (edited version)
|Songwriter(s)||Yung, JayAre, Smoove Da General, Runway Star|
|Cali Swag District singles chronology|
"Teach Me How to Dougie" is a song recorded by American hip hop group Cali Swag District featuring hook vocals from Fairburn–based rapper Future and Canadian–Nigerian actress Oluniké Adeliyi. It was produced by Runway Star for Cali Swag District's debut studio album, The Kickback (2011). The song was written by Chanti Glee, Charon Childs, and Corey Fowler, and was released digitally on April 12, 2010 as the first single from the album through Capitol Records. The title refers to the Dougie dance, which originated in Dallas, Texas by a rapper named Lil' Wil from his song called "My Dougie".This is Adeliyi's first song release as a rapper.
"Teach Me How to Dougie" was a commercial success, and peaked at number 28 on the Billboard Hot 100, peaked at number 9 on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs, and peaked at number 6 on the Hot Rap Songs. It was certified platinum in the United States.
The song's accompanying music video was directed by Yolande Geralds. The video shows Cali Swag as well as other people partying, dancing and skateboarding.
The song features a metronomic and "cowbell-bolstered" beat. Cali Swag District trades their verses "tag-team" style, bragging about the "Dougie" dance and the "special treatment it earns them from women." Jon Caramanica of The New York Times states that JayAre "stakes out dissenter ground", and quotes the lyric: "Back of the party, I don't really like to boogie / I'm just trying to get bent and meet a thick redbone."
Melanie Bertoldi of Billboard said the track seeks to pick up where "You're a Jerk" and "Crank That" left off, and commented while the dance might leave something to be desired, that the track's "catchy, refreshingly simple hook makes it a no-brainer for repeat play." Jon Caramanica of The New York Times praised the song, especially JayAre's verse, calling him "kinetic", and said he flows "hard on all angles."
The music video was directed by Yolande Geralds, and was filmed in the group's hometown of Inglewood, California. Aside from showcasing Inglewood's diversity, video features cameos from B-Hamp, New Boyz, and Teyana Taylor, as well as the members of Cali Swag District dancing, partying and skateboarding in the town. It also includes dancing shots of "bubba", a person referenced in the song because of his ability to do the Dougie. C-Smoove stated:
We enjoyed it because everybody came through. It was like our whole city came, so we pretty much knew everybody and if we didn't, we got to meet them. It was all around fun, because we didn't expect that many people to turn out, even though that's what we were looking for. We hoped for the best, but ... it turned out better than we expected. It was just a good look.
Chris Ryan of MTV Buzzworthy complimented the dance and video, comparing it to Hurricane Chris's "Halle Berry" and Digital Underground's "The Humpty Dance", stating, "Finally, a dance movement that we can actually see ourselves participating in. It's simple, slow and looks fun enough."
After releasing "Teach Me How to Dougie" in the spring of 2010, Cali Swag District was invited to perform the single on a number of television programs and at various concert settings. They first performed the single at the 2010 102 JAMZ SuperJam at Greensboro Coliseum in Greensboro, North Carolina on May 21, 2010. The group performed the single at the 2010 BET Awards pre-show by 106 and Park which aired live on the network June 27, 2010. On June 30, 2010, they performed at Skeetox, hosted by DJ Skee, at The Roxy in West Hollywood, California. They performed on Fuel TV network's The Daily Habit on July 2, 2010. On July 21, 2010, Cali Swag District performed the hit song at the Entertainer's Basketball Classic at Rucker Park in Harlem, New York City, New York. During the event, the group members also served as judges during a "Teach Me How to Dougie" competition. Cali Swag District performed "Teach Me How to Dougie" live at the Foxy Summer Jam at Crown Coliseum in Fayetteville, North Carolina on July 24, 2010. Again, Cali Swag District performed at the University of California, Irvine, for their annual Shocktoberfest on October 15, 2010. Finally, they helped kick off the 2011 NBA All-Star Weekend on February 18, performing at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California, which was aired live on TNT.
|Digital download EP|
|1.||"Teach Me How to Dougie" (Clean version)||Yung, JayAre, Smoove Da General, RunWay Star||3:59|
|2.||"Teach Me How to Dougie" (Explicit version)||Yung, JayAre, Smoove Da General, RunWay Star||3:59|
|3.||"Teach Me How to Dougie" (Instrumental)||Yung, JayAre, Smoove Da General, RunWay Star||3:59|
|4.||"Teach Me How to Dougie" (TV version)||Yung, JayAre, Smoove Da General, RunWay Star||3:59|
|5.||"Teach Me How to Dougie" (acapella)||Yung, JayAre, Smoove Da General, RunWay Star||3:46|
- "Teach Me How to Dougie (Remix)" [feat. Jermaine Dupri, B.O.B, Bow Wow & Red Café]
- "Teach Me How to Dougie (Remix)" [feat. Sean Kingston & B.o.B]
- "Teach Me how To Dougie (Remix)" [feat. Tyga]
- "Teach Me How To Dougie (Remix)" [feat. Terravita]
- "Teach Me How To Dougie (Remix)" [feat. Pharrell Williams, Future, Oluniké Adeliyi & Yewande Adekoya]
Charts and certifications
|US Billboard Hot 100||28|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||9|
|US Hot Rap Songs (Billboard)||6|
|US Billboard Hot 100||98|
|United States||2× Platinum|
- "Teach Me How to Dougie - Single by Cali Swag District". iTunes Store. Apple Inc. Retrieved 2010-07-13.
- "Teach Me How To Dougie". Repertoire.bmi.com. Retrieved 2019-07-19.
- "Teach Me How To Dougie / SR0000636694". Cocatalog.loc.gov. 2009-11-12. Retrieved 2010-12-27.
- Bertoldi, Melanie (2010-06-11). "Cali Swag District, "Teach Me How to Dougie"". Billboard. Retrieved 2010-07-07.
- Caramanica, Jon (2010-04-02). "New Music From Gary Allan and Marvin Sapp - Reviews". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-07-07.
- Nadeska, Alexis. "Cali Swag District Bring the Party Back to Inglewood". AOL Boombox. AOL. Retrieved 2010-07-07.
- Ryan, Chris (2010-05-25). "Buzzworthy Obsession: Cali Swag District's 'Teach Me How To Dougie' Video". MTV Buzzworthy. Retrieved 2010-07-07.
- "More Artists Announced for SuperJam". Greensborocoliseum.com. June 2010. Retrieved 2010-07-14.
- "Cali Swag District Daily Habit (A Top Story)". Antimusic.com. 2010-06-30. Retrieved 2010-07-11.
- "DJ Skee's Skeetox Returns With Lil Jon, Clinton Sparks, Ray J & Cali Swag District". Ballerstatus.com. 2010-06-30. Retrieved 2010-07-14.
- "EMI Recording Artists Cali Swag District To Perform Hit Single "Teach Me How To Dougie" At The Entertainers Basketball Classic". Hiphoppress.com.com. 2010-07-20. Retrieved 2010-07-28.
- "Fantasia Barrino added to Foxy Summer Jam lineup". Fayobserver.com.com. 2010-07-13. Retrieved 2010-07-14.
- "Cali Swag District Teaches NBA All Stars "How To Dougie"". 923now.radio.com. Retrieved 2 October 2011.
- "Cali Swag District Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved 2010-08-05.
- "Cali Swag District Chart History (Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved 2010-07-15.
- "Cali Swag District Chart History (Hot Rap Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved 2010-07-15.
- "Hot 100 Songs: 2010 Year-End Charts". Billboard. 2010-12-31. Retrieved 2014-02-11.
- "Gold & Platinum Searchable Database - February 11, 2014". RIAA. Archived from the original on 2012-07-14. Retrieved 2014-02-11.