Teachers (2016 TV series)
|Created by||The Katydids|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||35 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||21–22 minutes|
|Original network||TV Land|
|Picture format||16:9 HDTV|
|Original release||January 13, 2016– present|
Teachers is an American television sitcom on TV Land. It is based on the web series of the same name by the improv group The Katydids (all members of the group by coincidence have the first name Kate as a root name), and is written by the six members of the group who also play teachers at the Chicago-area Fillmore Elementary School. The series' initial 10 episodes premiered on January 13, 2016. On March 3, 2016, TV Land renewed Teachers for a 20-episode second season, which premiered on January 17, 2017. On March 21, 2017, the series went on hiatus, with the final 10 episodes of season two beginning to air on November 7, 2017. On April 20, 2017, the show was renewed for a 20-episode third season, which premiered on June 5, 2018.
- Caitlin Barlow as Cecilia Cannon, the school's art teacher who is very liberal and frequently tries to rally the others to join protests or support causes.
- Katy Colloton as Chelsea Snap, an extremely narcissistic teacher who sleeps around and is obsessed with her looks.
- Cate Freedman as Anna Jane "AJ" Feldman (seasons 1-2, guest season 3), a somewhat lazy teacher whose classes are frequently out of control. She often makes reference to using a variety of drugs. In season 3, she left Fillmore to teach in Amsterdam (citing cheaper cannabis as the reason).
- Kate Lambert as Caroline Watson, a relatively competent teacher who is a hopeless romantic, which causes her to sometimes lose perspective.
- Katie O’Brien as Mary Louise Bennigan, an extremely religious, conservative teacher who is depicted as somewhat naïve. She considers Chelsea to be her best friend, and puts her on a pedestal.
- Kathryn Renée Thomas as Deb Adler, an antisocial, often angry teacher who was an outcast back in her own school days. Due to overcrowding, she must teach her class in a mobile home-like outbuilding. She is married to an unsuccessful musician, and becomes pregnant near the end of season 2.
- Tim Bagley as Principal Toby Pearson
- Ryan Caltagirone as James "Hot Dad" Colton
- Eugene Cordero as Marty Crumbs
- Trevor Larcom as Blake Colton
- Zackary Arthur as David
- Cheyenne Nguyen as Beth
- Lulu Wilson as Annie
- Siena Agudong as Tiffany
- Nicolas Hedges as Peter
- Mataeo Mingo as Brad
- Haley Joel Osment as Damien Adler
- Richard T. Jones as Frank Humphrey
- Ryan Hansen as Brent
- Patricia Belcher as Mavis
Development and production
Teachers is based on the web series of the same name, created by and starring improv group The Katydids. The series was originally conceived as webisodes, directed by Matt Miller and produced by Cap Gun TV, a development/production studio based in Chicago and Los Angeles.
TV Land ordered a pilot on March 19, 2014, with The Katydids reprising their roles from the web series. Alison Brie executive produces alongside The Katydids, Matt Miller, and Cap Gun TV. Ian Roberts and Jay Martel have signed on as showrunners, with Richie Keen directing the series' pilot. TV Land picked up the show to series on October 1, 2014 with a 10-episode order.
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||10||January 13, 2016||March 16, 2016|
|2||20||January 17, 2017||January 16, 2018|
|3||20||June 5, 2018||N/A|
Teachers has received positive reviews from critics. Rotten Tomatoes awarded the series with a rating of 69% based on reviews from 13 critics and an average rating of 6.0 out of 10. The site's critical consensus reads: "Teachers struggles with the transition from web series to television, but gets some good marks for humor." On Metacritic, the series received a score of 66% based on reviews from 10 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
- Andreeva, Nellie (October 1, 2014). "TV Land Picks Up Impastor & Teachers To Series". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 13, 2015.
- "Premiere Date Change: TV Land's "Younger" and "Teachers" Now to Premiere on Wednesday, January 13th". The Futon Critic. November 19, 2015. Retrieved 26 December 2015.
- "Teachers on TV Land". The Futon Critic.
- Iannucci, Rebecca (March 3, 2016). "Teachers Renewed for Season 2". TV Line. Retrieved March 3, 2016.
- "Teachers - Returns This January". TVland.com. Retrieved November 16, 2016.
- Nakamura, Reid (April 20, 2017). "TV Land Renews 'Younger' and 'Teachers' for Additional Seasons". TheWrap. The Wrap News Inc. Retrieved April 20, 2017.
- McLennan, Cindy (March 30, 2018). "Teachers: Season Three Premiere Date Released by TV Land". TVseriesfinale.com. Retrieved May 14, 2018.
- "Teachers, A Web Series". www.teacherswebseries.com. Retrieved 26 April 2018.
- "Cap Gun Collective CGTV". Cap Gun Collective. Retrieved 26 April 2018.
- Andreeva, Nellie (March 19, 2014). "TV Land Orders Pilot For Comedy Based On Web Series Teachers, Alison Brie Produces". Deadline.com. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- Andreeva, Nellie (May 7, 2014). "Key & Peele EPs Ian Roberts & Jay Martel Tapped As Showrunners For TV Land Comedy Pilot Teachers". Deadline.com. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- "Richie Keen To Helm TV Land Pilot Teachers". Deadline.com. July 11, 2014. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- Andreeva, Nellie (October 1, 2014). "TV Land Picks Up Impastor & Teachers To Series". Deadline.com. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- McLennan, Cindy (December 21, 2015). "Teachers: TV Land Releases Pilot Early, Online". TV Series Finale. Retrieved 26 December 2015.
- TV Land (December 15, 2015). "The first episode of Teachers is now available on iTunes". Facebook. Retrieved 26 December 2015.
- Purcell, Charles (21 October 2016). "New This Week (Oct 24): The Walking Dead, Kardashians, Say Yes To The Dress Australia and live sport". The Green Room. Archived from the original on 21 October 2016. Retrieved 21 October 2016.
- "Comedy Central UK Acquires TV Land Comedy Series 'Teachers', Sets November Premiere - TVWise". 26 October 2016. Retrieved 26 April 2018.
- "Teachers: Season 1". Rotten Tomatoes. Flixster. Retrieved January 14, 2016.
- "Teachers (2016)". Metacritic. CBS Interactive (CBS Corporation). Retrieved January 14, 2016.