TeamSpeak 2 Client and Server Software
|Original author(s)||TeamSpeak Systems GmbH|
|Initial release||October 2001|
|Stable release||3.0.14 (Client) / 22.214.171.124 (Server) / March 17, 2014|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, iOS, FreeBSD, Android (beta)|
|Type||Voice over IP|
|This article is outdated. (December 2010)|
TeamSpeak is proprietary voice-over-Internet Protocol (VoIP) software that allows computer users to speak on a chat channel with fellow computer users, much like a telephone conference call. A TeamSpeak user will often wear a headset with an integrated microphone. Users use the TeamSpeak client software to connect to a TeamSpeak server of their choice, from there they can join chat channels and discuss things.
The target audience for TeamSpeak is gamers, who can use the software to communicate with other players on the same team of a multiplayer game. Communicating by voice gives a competitive advantage by allowing players to keep their hands on the controls.
The TeamSpeak server currently supports Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X and Linux and uses a web based or telnet interface to control server administration and settings. The server runs as a dedicated server separate from the client. As of May 2014 TeamSpeak does not support IPv6.
Teamspeak can be used at no cost, if someone wants to block other users from joining in a server however, there is a monthly charge.
The current version of TeamSpeak has been in development since 2004. It is a complete rewrite with many new features, but has had infrequent updates on the development blog, and was first estimated to be released in mid-2006. The first public release of the TeamSpeak 3 SDK was on June 5, 2008, with the integrated solution in the MMO game Vendetta Online. Open beta for TeamSpeak 3 released on December 19, 2009. . Open beta was closed on August 10, 2011 and replaced with Teamspeak 3.0.0 Final, which is the first stable release of Teamspeak 3. .
TeamSpeak 3 updates
TeamSpeak 3 uses an improved update system that updates only the files necessary which means faster updates without needing to re download the entire program or 'Application'.
In popular culture
- Bary, Hiawatha (October 29, 2003). "Game On; Players Add Verbal Jabs To Online Arsenal". The Boston Globe.
- Running Multiple TeamSpeak 2 Instances
- "TeamSpeak 3". TeamSpeak Systems GmbH. Retrieved 2008-07-14.
- "Guild Software and TeamSpeak announce the Integration of TeamSpeak 3 within Vendetta Online" (Press release). Florence Espinoza. 2008-07-01. Retrieved 2008-07-14.
- "Now featuring.. Voice Chat!". Guild Software. 2008-06-05. Retrieved 2008-07-14.
- News. TeamSpeak. Retrieved on 2014-05-22.
- TeamSpeak 3 Final + iOS + Android Released. Forum.teamspeak.com. Retrieved on 2014-05-22.
- News. TeamSpeak (2006-10-11). Retrieved on 2014-05-22.