Team PNoy, formerly known as the LP-Akbayan-NPC-NP-LDP Coalition, is the umbrella coalition of the administration-backed senatorial line-up for the 2013 Philippine Senate election. Team PNoy is composed mostly of supporters of current Philippine president, Benigno Aquino III (President Noynoy, or "PNoy"). The coalition is composed of the Liberal Party, Nacionalista Party, the Nationalist People's Coalition, Laban ng Demokratikong Pilipino, Akbayan Citizens' Action Party and the National Unity Party.
The Liberal Party was open on creating coalitions or alliances with other parties for the 2013 election, as long as the politicians have the same principles as them. Secretary of Budget and Management Florencio Abad said on April 7, 2012 that it was too early to make conclusions.
Two days later, the Liberals revealed 14 names possible candidates in their ticket, these includes candidates that are being considered in the UNA ticket; this means there may be common names in both tickets.
On April 2012, the Nacionalista Party is choosing between UNA and the LP tickets, with party secretary-general Alan Peter Cayetano saying that it is too early to decide on such matters. The verdict in the impeachment of Renato Corona may affect their decision.
On May 17, 2012, Aquino revealed the party's four sure senatorial bets: Aurora Rep. Sonny Angara, TESDA Chairman Joel Villanueva, and 2010 senatorial candidates Risa Hontiveros-Baraquel and Ruffy Biazon. All four, however, are still considering their options to run for Senator. On June 28, 2012, party vice chairman Sen. Franklin Drilon announced the candidacy of former Senator Ramon Magsaysay, Jr.
Senator Francis Escudero, who formerly campaigned for the Nationalist People's Coalition (NPC)'s presidential nomination in 2010 before resigning from the party and withdrawing from the race abruptly, said believes that the NPC and the Liberals "are in coalition with one another."
It was announced on July 5, 2012, that the ruling Liberal Party (LP), Nationalist People's Coalition (NPC) and Nacionalista Party (NP) will most likely field a common senatorial ticket in the May 2013 elections. A meeting between Aquino and Villar agreed to coalesce for the 2013 elections, and details, such as local candidates, will be dealt upon on further meetings. Senator and Liberal Party vice chairman Franklin Drilon cautioned though that the agreement was "not yet sealed" as the distribution of slots in the ticket will also be a factor. The Nacionalistas had already endorsed four candidates in Senators Antonio Trillanes and Alan Peter Cayetano, and Representatives Robert Ace Barbers and Cynthia Villar.
However, NPC official and senator Tito Sotto on September said that the three-party coalition might not be pursued as the determination of candidates at the local level remain as stumbling blocks in the formation of the coalition; NPC has more local officials than the Liberals and Nacionalistas. Meanwhile, Representative Mark Villar of the Nacionalistas said that they will stay put with their coalition agreement with Liberals, and that most issues have already been resolved.
Bam Aquino, the president's cousin, and Jamby Madrigal, one of the defeated presidential candidates in 2010, were sworn in as Liberal Party members. On October 1, the president announced the administration coalition's nominees in a speech at Club Filipino. The ruling coalition, aside from the Liberals, Nacionalistas and the NPC, included the Laban ng Demokratikong Pilipino (LDP) and Akbayan.
In October 2012, Senators Francis Escudero, Loren Legarda and FPJ's daughter, former MTRCB Chair, Grace Poe formally joined the proclamation rally as independent candidates. The three independent candidates are also adopted by United Nationalist Alliance coalition.
According to Joseph Emilio Abaya, the ruling party's spokesman, the independent candidates intend not to campaign with UNA which had also adopted them. However, Loren Legarda, when asked with whom she will campaign with, said "I will campaign with the Filipino people."
On January 26, 2013, it was announced that the administration ticket shall be called as "Team Pinoy". It is a play on words on "pinoy", an informal term used to denote the Filipino people, and "P-Noy", the administration's preferred reference to President Aquino, who has a "Noynoy" nickname. Angara said that "we decided to use ‘Pinoy’ to send the message that this campaign is for all Filipinos." The coalition released its first TV advertisement the next day, with the "Team PNoy" spelling.
Few days after his final SONA, Pres. Aquino will endorse Sec. Mar Roxas to be their standard bearer in 2016, after Sen. Grace Poe-Llamanzares failed to agree to be Aquino's presidential bet in 2016, and instead she preferred to be Roxas' running mate, pitting against Jejomar Binay-Bongbong Marcos tandem.
Mainstream party members
- Liberal Party
- Laban ng Demokratikong Pilipino
- Nationalist People's Coalition (Legarda wing)
- Nacionalista Party (Villar wing)
- National Unity Party (Barzaga wing)
- Akbayan Citizens' Action Party
|Candidate||Party||Last position in government||Relatives in government||Elected|
|Edgardo "Sonny" Angara||
||Incumbent congressman from Aurora's lone district (since 2004)||Senator Edgardo Angara (father), Aurora governor Bellaflor Angara-Castillo (aunt)|
|Benigno "Bam" Aquino||
||Former chairman of the National Youth Commission (2003–06)||President Benigno Aquino III (cousin), President Corazon Aquino (aunt), Senator Benigno Aquino, Jr. (uncle), Senator Agapito Aquino (uncle), Senator Teresa Aquino-Oreta (aunt), Tarlac governor Tingting Cojuangco (aunt)|
|Alan Peter Cayetano||
||Incumbent senator (since 2007)||Senator Pia Cayetano (sister), Senator Rene Cayetano (father), Taguig mayor Lani Cayetano (wife)|
||Incumbent senator (since 2007)||Congressman from Sorsogon Salvador Escudero III (father)|
||Former congresswoman from Akbayan Citizens' Action Party (2004–10)||none|
||Incumbent senator (since 2007)||Batangas governor Antonio Leviste (annulled)|
||Former senator (2004–10)||Chief Justice José Abad Santos (grandfather), Senator Manuel Collantes (uncle)|
|Ramon Magsaysay, Jr.||
||Former senator (1995–2007)||President Ramon Magsaysay (father), Zambales governor Vicente Magsaysay (cousin), congresswoman from Zambales Mitos Magsaysay (niece-in-law)|
||Incumbent senator (since 2011)||Senator Aquilino Pimentel, Jr. (father)|
||Former chairwoman of the Movie and Television Review and Classification Board (2010–12)||none|
|Antonio Trillanes IV||
||Incumbent senator (since 2007)||none|
|Cynthia "Hanepbuhay" Villar||
||Former congresswoman from Las Piñas' lone district (2001–10)||Senator Manny Villar (husband), congressman from Las Piñas Mark Villar (son), congressman from Las Piñas Filemon Aguilar (father), Las Piñas mayor Vergel Aguilar (brother)|
Possible 2016 candidates
- Teofisto Guingona III (LP), incumbent Senator (running)
- Franklin Drilon (LP), incumbent Senate President (running)
- Ralph Recto (LP), incumbent Senator (running)
- Vilma Santos-Recto, (LP), incumbent Governor of Batangas
- Francis Pangilinan (LP), former senator (running)
- Ramon Magsaysay, Jr. (LP), former Senator, lost in 2013 senatorial election
- Risa Hontiveros (Akbayan/LP), former Akbayan Partylist Representative, twice lost senatorial bid in 2010 and 2013 (running)
- Jamby Madrigal (LP), former Senator, lost in 2013 senatorial election (running)
- Leila de Lima (LP), Secretary of Justice (considering)
- Francis Tolentino (LP), Metro Manila Development Authority Chairman
- Niel Tupas, Jr. (LP), incumbent Representative of Iloilo
- Leni Robredo (LP), incumbent Representative of Naga/Camarines Sur (considering)
- Lorenzo Tañada III (LP), former Representative from Quezon and former Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives.
- Florencio Abad (LP), incumbent Secretary of Budget and Management, former Representative of Batanes (considering)
- Joseph Emilio Abaya (LP), former Representative of Cavite, Secretary of Transportation and Communication (considering)
- Lucy Torres-Gomez (LP), incumbent Representative of Ormoc/Leyte
- Neptali Gonzales II (LP), incumbent Representative of Mandaluyong, Majority leader
- Edward Hagedorn (LP), former mayor of Puerto Princesa
- United Nationalist Alliance, the main rival of Team PNoy in the 2013 elections
- Elections in the Philippines
- "The ad says "the candidates of Team PNoy ang seguradong mapagkakatiwalaan. Mga tunay na tuwid sa daang matuwid."" (Jester P. Manalastas (January 29, 2013). "PNoy’s ‘Daang Matuwid’ LP campaign battlecry". People's Journal. Retrieved April 8, 2013.)
- "LP open to coalesce with other parties for 2013 polls". Philippine Star. 2012-04-10. Retrieved 2012-05-03.
- Calica, Aurea (2012-04-11). "LP, UNA may field common senatorial bets". Philippine Star. Retrieved 2012-05-03.
- Mendez, Christina (2012-04-19). "NP weighing options on party coalition". Philippine Star. Retrieved 2012-05-03.
- Legaspi, Amita (2012-05-17). "PNoy reveals 4 sure LP senatorial bets for 2013". GMA News. Retrieved 2012-05-18.
- Macaraig, Ayee (2012-05-17). "Two of PNoy’s senatorial bets still undecided". Rappler.com. Retrieved 2012-05-18.
- Esguerra, Christian (2012-06-28). "Two Magsaysays to slug it out in 2013 senatorial elections". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 2012-06-28.
- Dangcalan, Danny (2012-04-28). "Chiz: LP to coalesce with NPC for 2013 polls". Philippine Star. Retrieved 2012-05-03.
- Diaz, Jess (2012-07-05). "LP, NP, NPC eye common ticket". Philippine Star. Retrieved 2012-07-05.
- Cheng, Willard (2012-07-10). "PNoy met Villar to forge LP-NP coalition". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 2012-09-19.
- "LP-NPC-NP coalition not yet sealed - Drilon". Philippine Star. 2012-07-13. Retrieved 2012-09-19.
- "Three-Party Coalition Proposal Dims". Manila Bulletin. 2012-09-11. Retrieved 2012-09-19.
- Gutierrez, Natashya (2012-09-28). "Bam Aquino, Jamby officially join LP". Rappler.com. Retrieved 2012-10-04.
- Michael Lim Ubac, Leila B. Salaverria (2012-10-01). "Aquino leads launch of administration coalition". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 2012-10-04.
- Calonzo, Andreo (2012-10-01). "Loren, Chiz agree not to join UNA on stage during sorties". GMA News. Retrieved 2012-10-01.
- Reyes, Fat (2012-10-01). "Loren Legarda files COC at Comelec in Intramuros". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 2012-10-01.
- Esguerra, Christian V. (2013-01-27). "Aquino ‘X-factor’: LP slate renamed Team Pinoy". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 2013-01-27.
- Calonzo, Andreo (2013-01-28). "In LP’s first pol ad, PNoy says some candidates posing as his supporters". GMA News Online. Retrieved 2013-01-28.
- Salaverria, Leila B.; Calleja, Niña P. (April 18, 2015). "Surprise: Roxas tells LP he will run in 2016". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 2015-04-18.
- "PNoy to endorse Mar Roxas this week, says top LP official". GMA News. July 28, 2015. Retrieved 2015-07-30.