Team Shanghai Alice
Team Shanghai Alice (上海アリス幻樂団 Shanhai Arisu Gengakudan?, meaning "Shanghai Alice Ensemble") is a one-man Japanese dōjin game developer specializing in shoot 'em ups. The team's only releases thus far have been the Touhou Project games and related merchandise.
As ZUN Soft
- Highly Responsive to Prayers (東方靈異伝, 1996)
- Story of Eastern Wonderland (東方封魔録, 1997)
- Phantasmagoria of Dim. Dream (東方夢時空, 1997)
- Lotus Land Story (東方幻想郷, 1998)
- Mystic Square (東方怪綺談 , 1998)
As Team Shanghai Alice
- The Embodiment of Scarlet Devil (東方紅魔郷, 2002)
- Perfect Cherry Blossom (東方妖々夢, 2003)
- Imperishable Night (東方永夜抄, 2004)
- Immaterial and Missing Power (東方萃夢想, 2004) - Collaboration with Twilight Frontier.
- Phantasmagoria of Flower View (東方花映塚, 2005)
- Shoot the Bullet (東方文花帖, 2005)
- Mountain of Faith (東方風神録, 2007)
- Scarlet Weather Rhapsody (東方緋想天, 2008) - Collaboration with Twilight Frontier.
- Subterranean Animism (東方地霊殿, 2008)
- Undefined Fantastic Object (東方星蓮船, 2009)
- Touhou Hisōtensoku (東方非想天則, 2009) - Collaboration with Twilight Frontier.
- Double Spoiler ~ Touhou Bunkachou (ダブルスポイラー ～ 東方文花帖, 2010)
- Fairy Wars (妖精大戦争 ～ 東方三月精, 2010)
- Ten Desires (東方神霊廟, 2011)
- Hopeless Masquerade (東方心綺楼, 2013) - Collaboration with Twilight Frontier.
- Double Dealing Character (東方輝針城, 2013)
- Impossible Spell Card (弾幕アマノジャク, 2014)
- Gold Rush (弾幕アマノジャク ゴールドラッシュ, 2014)
- Urban Legend in Limbo (東方深秘録, 2015) - Collaboration with Twilight Frontier.
- Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom (東方紺珠伝, 2015)
The soundtracks are mainly composed of ZUN's synthesized original music and tracks remixed from his games. As there are some loose references to the rest of the Touhou Project in the stories in the CD jacket, the CDs are still considered part of the Touhou Project.
- Dolls in Pseudo Paradise (蓬莱人形 Hourai Ningyou?, lit. "Hourai Doll") (2002)
- Ghostly Field Club (蓮台野夜行 Rendaino Yakou?, lit. "Lotus Pedestal Field Travels in the Night") (2003)
- Changeability of Strange Dream (夢違科学世紀 Yumetagae Kagaku Seiki?, lit. "Not Certain Whether a Dream or Reality in a Science Era") (2004)
- Gensōkyoku Bassui (幻想曲抜萃 lit. "Collection of Illusionary Music"?) (2005) - Collaboration with Twilight Frontier; Immaterial and Missing Power OST
- Akyu's Untouched Score vol.1 (幺樂団の歴史１ Yougakudan no Rekishi `?, lit. "History of Yougakudan 1") (2006)
- Retrospective 53 minutes (卯酉東海道 Bouyu Toukaidou?, lit. "East-West Tokaido") (2006)
- Magical Astronomy (大空魔術 Oozora Majutsu?, lit. "Celestial Wizardry") (2006)
- Akyu's Untouched Score vol.2 (幺樂団の歴史２ Yougakudan no Rekishi 2?, lit. "History of Yougakudan 2") (2006)
- Akyu's Untouched Score vol.3 (幺樂団の歴史３ Yougakudan no Rekishi 3?, lit. "History of Yougakudan 3") (2006)
- Akyu's Untouched Score vol.4 (幺樂団の歴史４ Yougakudan no Rekishi 4?, lit. "History of Yougakudan 4") (2007)
- Akyu's Untouched Score vol.5 (幺樂団の歴史５ Yougakudan no Rekishi 5?, lit. "History of Yougakudan 5") (2007)
- Zenjinrui no Tenrakuroku (全人類ノ天楽録 lit. "Celestial Music Record of All Humankind"?) (2008) - Collaboration with Twilight Frontier; Scarlet Weather Rhapsody OST
- Kakunetsu Zoushin Hisoutensoku (核熱造神ヒソウテンソク lit. "Thermonuclear Deity Hisoutensoku"?) (2009) - Collaboration with Twilight Frontier; Touhou Hisōtensoku OST
- Michi no Hana, Michi no Tabi (未知の花 魅知の旅 lit. "Unknown Flower, Mesmerizing Journey?) (2011)
- Trojan Green Asteroid (鳥船遺跡 Torifune Iseki?, lit. "Ruins of Torifune") (2012)
- Neo-traditionalism in Japan (伊弉諾物質 Izanagi Busshitsu?, lit. "Izanagi Object") (2012)
- Ankoku Nōgakushū - Shinkirō (暗黒能楽集・心綺楼?, lit. "Dark Noh Music Collection: Shinkirō") (2013) - Collaboration with Twilight Frontier; Hopeless Masquerade OST
- Shinpiteki Gakkyokushū: Usami Sumireko to Himitsu no Bushitsu (深秘的楽曲集 宇佐見菫子と秘密の部室?, lit. "A Deeply Mystic Music Collection ~ Sumireko Usami and the Clubroom of Secrets") (2015) - Collaboration with Twilight Frontier; Urban Legend in Limbo OST
- Dr.Latency's Freak Report (燕石博物誌 Enseki Hakubutsushi?, lit. "Swallowstone Natural History") (2016)
- Dateless Bar "Old Adam" (旧約酒場 Kyuuyaku Sakaba?, lit. "Old Testament Tavern") (2016)
|Native name||太田 順也|
March 18, 1977 |
Hakuba, Nagano, Japan
|Education||Tokyo Denki University|
|Alma mater||Tokyo Denki University|
|Occupation||Game developer, music composer, novelist, comic writer|
There is only one member of Team Shanghai Alice, who goes by the pseudonym "ZUN" and is the main programmer, scriptwriter, graphic artist, and music composer. His real name is Jun'ya Ōta (太田 順也 Ōta Jun'ya?), as seen in the credits of his early games. He was born in Hakuba, Nagano. Fans respectfully call him "Kannushi" (神主), a name he has sometimes used to refer to himself. ZUN married another programmer in 2012.
While not using the Team Shanghai Alice name, ZUN has also participated in the making of the following dōjin games for Amusement Makers, a game development club in Tokyo Denki University:
- Highly Responsive to Prayers (1996) - Part of Touhou Project
- Story of Eastern Wonderland (1997) - Part of Touhou Project
- Phantasmagoria of Dim.Dream (1997) - Part of Touhou Project
- Lotus Land Story (1998) - Part of Touhou Project
- Mystic Square (1998) - Part of Touhou Project
- Shuusou Gyoku (2000)
- Kioh Gyoku (2001)
- Torte Le Magic - A fan-made dojin shooter based on the manga 10 Carat Torte!
ZUN also worked for Taito Corporation, and had participated in the production of their games such as:
- International League Soccer (PlayStation 2, 2000)
- Magic Pengel (PlayStation 2, 2002)
- Bujingai (PlayStation 2, 2003)
- Graffiti Kingdom (PlayStation 2, 2004)
- EXIT (PlayStation Portable, 2005)
He also uses the pseudonym "ZUN" instead of Team Shanghai Alice when publishing commercial works:
- Curiosities of Lotus Asia (東方香霖堂)
- Touhou Sangetsusei (東方三月精), which consists of:
- Eastern and Little Nature Deity
- Strange and Bright Nature Deity
- Oriental Sacred Place
- Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red (東方文花帖)
- Perfect Memento in Strict Sense (東方求聞史紀)
- Touhou Bōgetsushō (東方儚月抄), which consists of:
- Silent Sinner in Blue
- Cage in Lunatic Runagate
- Inaba of the Moon and Inaba of the Earth (月のイナバと地上の因幡)
- The Grimoire of Marisa
In 2007, he was in a team named "The Drinking Party" (呑んべぇ会?) to make "Uwabami Breakers" (黄昏酒場～Uwabami Breakers～?), a shoot'em up game about drinking—one of ZUN's greatest passions. Since November 2009, he runs a column about beer on the manga magazine Comptiq called "Which Came First, Hakurei Kannushi's Games or Beer?" (博麗神主のゲームが先かお酒が先か?).
ZUN also collaborated with doujin circles other than Twilight Frontier and participated in some of the games they produced. So far, only two games by D.N.A. Software got him involved:
- Magus in Mystic Geometries (神魔討綺伝 ～ Magus in Mystic Geometries?) (2008)
- Touhou Unreal Mahjong (東方幻想麻雀?) (2009)
The name "Team Shanghai Alice" was chosen to fit the overall theme of the Touhou games. "Shanghai", in ZUN's mind, is a multicultural city where the East and the West meet. "Alice" can be a child living in the foreign concessions, but the name Alice also suggests a fairy-tale element. So together, "Shanghai Alice" encompasses the blend of oriental and western aesthetics along with fantasy. As for "Ensemble" (幻樂団, in the team's Japanese name), ZUN originally intended his team to be a musical ensemble so he named his team as such. As a piece of trivia: one of Touhou Project's characters is a magician/puppeteer named Alice Margatroid, and one class of her dolls is called Shanghai. Another character named Meiling has a theme song called "Shanghai Alice of Meiji 17".
- Kaze no Iona (風のイオナ) (17 October 2010). "同人シューティング座談会" [Doujin Round Table Discussion]. Shooting Game Side Vol.1 [シューティングゲームサイド Vol.1] (in Japanese). MicroMagazine: 143. Retrieved 26 January 2015.
- Szczepaniak, John (2014). The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers (Gold ed.). SMG Szczepaniak. p. 236. ISBN 9780992926021.
- Akiba-tsu in Nico Nico Douga 002 (あきば通 inニコニコ動画 002), 2009-02-04.
- "Touhou Project Creator ZUN Gets Married". Anime News Network.
- The Dawn of Touhou (東方の夜明け), ZUN's Meiji University Touhou lecture.