Teamviewer 11 on Windows 10
|Developer(s)||TeamViewer GmbH, Germany|
|Operating system||Android, iOS, Linux, macOS, Windows, Windows Phone 8, Windows RT, BlackBerry|
|Type||Remote administration, Web conferencing|
TeamViewer is available for Microsoft Windows, macOS, Linux, Chrome OS, iOS, Android, Windows RT, Windows Phone 8 and BlackBerry operating systems. It is also possible to access a machine running TeamViewer with a web browser. While the main focus of the application is remote control of computers, collaboration and presentation features are included.
TeamViewer can be used without charge by non-commercial users, and Business, Premium and Corporate versions are available.
TeamViewer GmbH was founded in 2005 in Göppingen, Germany. UK-based private equity firm Permira acquired TeamViewer GmbH from Durham, North Carolina-based software developer GFI Software in 2014. The company also hosts an online backup cloud service called Airbackup.
TeamViewer and similar services have been used to commit technical support scams via telephone calls. People are called, either at random or from a list, by criminals claiming to represent a computer support service which has identified the victim's computer as being infected by malware, most often using the name of companies such as Microsoft. They then ask the victim to give them access to their computer by installing a remote control service, which can allow the attacker to infect the computer with malware or to delete or copy personal files. A Wired journalist investigating the scams was asked by a scammer to install TeamViewer.
In June 2016, hundreds of TeamViewer users reported having their computers accessed by an unauthorized address in China and bank accounts misappropriated. TeamViewer denied having been hacked directly, and their service went offline purportedly due to a denial-of-service attack.
- "TeamViewer". Softpedia. SoftNews. 4 April 2018.
- "TeamViewer for Mac". Softpedia. SoftNews. 21 March 2018.
- "TeamViewer". Softpedia. SoftNews. 24 February 2017.
- "TeamViewer". GooglePlay. Google. Retrieved 24 February 2018.
- "TeamViewer: Remote Control". App Store. Apple. Retrieved 18 December 2017.
- "TeamViewer: Remote Control". Windows Store. Microsoft. Retrieved 18 December 2017.
- "TeamViewer: Remote Control". BlackBerry World. BlackBerry Limited. Retrieved 18 December 2017.
- "TeamViewer". Chrome Web Store. Google. Retrieved 18 December 2017.
- "TeamViewer (Remote Support)". University of New England (UNE). 2013-11-01. Retrieved 2018-03-23.
- Carl D. Rinker (16 March 2015). Advanced Home Server - Making the Complicated Easier. Carl D. Rinker. pp. 279–. GGKEY:QQADF012Z6P.
- "TeamViewer". PCMAG. 2017-09-07. Retrieved 2018-03-23.
- "TeamViewer Releases Major Spring Feature Update". Business Wire. 2018-03-20. Retrieved 2018-03-23.
- TeamViewer V4desktop collaboration app now Mac-compatible Philip Michaels, Macworld
- Article comparing screen-sharing software, Seth Rosenblatt, Cnet download blog
- "TeamViewer 5 for Linux released". Support.teamviewer.com. 2010-04-15. Retrieved 2010-11-24.
- "TeamViewer for Chromebooks - Work Better On-the-go". TeamViewer Blog. Retrieved 2016-01-13.
- TeamViewer iPad App Provides Remote Access to PCs David Roe, CMSWire
- "App (Beta) for Android released". TeamViewer. 2010-11-24. Retrieved 2010-11-25.
- "TeamViewer Touch App for Windows 8 released". Teamviewer. 2012-10-29. Retrieved 2012-12-10.
- "TeamViewer® Launches New App for Windows Phone 8". TeamViewer. 2013-06-11. Retrieved 2013-06-11.
- Spick, Geoff, "Join the crowd", Teamviewer 4.1 (article), CMS Wire.
- "Engadget". Engadget. Archived from the original on 31 July 2012. Retrieved 3 May 2016.
- "TeamViewer Use Case – Remote Support". Retrieved 3 May 2016.
- "Permira funds to acquire leading software firm TeamViewer from GFI Software" (PDF). Permira. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2014-05-21. Retrieved 2015-07-02.
- Parrish, Kevin. "TeamViewer Intros Airbackup: Cloud Backup for SMBs". Tom's IT Pro. Retrieved 6 May 2014.
- "What happens if you play along with a Microsoft 'tech support' scam?". Wired. UK. Retrieved 3 May 2016.
- "Man records phone scammers; listen and learn what not to do". Macleans Magazine. (contained in audio recording)
- "Are You 'Surprised' by New Ransomware Spread via Teamviewer?". Informationsecuritybuzz.com. Retrieved 2016-03-23.
- "Surprise Ransomware Installed via TeamViewer and Executes from Memory". Bleeping Computer. Retrieved 2016-03-23.
- "TeamViewer denies hack after PCs hijacked, PayPal accounts drained". The Register. UK. Retrieved 2016-06-03.
- "Hack Suspected on TeamViewer After Users Report Unauthorized Connections". Trend Micro. Retrieved 2016-06-03.
- Hall, Kat (9 March 2017). "Brit ISP TalkTalk blocks control tool TeamViewer". The Register. Retrieved 16 November 2017.