Teatro del Silenzio
|Capacity||7,490, 10,000 in 2010|
|Opened||27 July 2006|
The Teatro del Silenzio (English: Theater of Silence) is an open air amphitheater located in the city of Lajatico – the hometown of Andrea Bocelli - in the Tuscany region of Italy. In 2006, Bocelli convinced the municipality of Lajatico to build this outdoor venue whose structure utilizes the natural formations of the hilly landscape. Bocelli contributed greatly to its construction.
Bocelli, the honorary president of the theater, performs an annual concert there every July; the theater is silent for the rest of the year.
- Andrea Bocelli (tenor)
- Paola Sanguinetti (soprano)
- Gianfranco Montresor (baritone)
- Pisana Chorus
- Orchestra Filarmonica Italiana di Piacenza (The Italian Philharmonic Orchestra)
- Marcello Rota (conductor)
|A mio padre||Andrea Bocelli|
|Intermezzo (from Cavalleria rusticana)||Orchestra|
|Brindisi (from Cavalleria rusticana)||Andrea Bocelli|
|O mio babbino caro||Paola Sanguinetti|
|E lucevan le stelle||Andrea Bocelli|
|Duetto (from La Boheme)||Andrea Bocelli; Paola Sanguinetti|
|Di quella pira (from Il trovatore)||Orchestra; Danza|
|Terzetto (from Il trovatore)||Andrea Bocelli; Paola Sanguinetti, Gianfranco Montresor|
|Va, pensiero (from Nabucco)||Orchestra, Choir, Danza|
|Vieni sul mar||Andrea Bocelli|
|Sortia de Escamillo (from Carmen)||Gianfranco Montresor, chorus|
|Voglio viveri così||Andrea Bocelli|
|Funiculì, Funiculà (Luigi Denza, Peppino Turco)||Andrea Bocelli, chorus|
|Sinfonia (from La gazza ladra)||Dance|
|Duetto 4°atto (from Andrea Chénier)||Andrea Bocelli|
|Nessun dorma (from Turandot)||Andrea Bocelli|
|La traviata brindisi; Because We Believe; Con te partiò||Andrea Bocelli|
The second concert took place 5 July 2007. The planned rehearsal the previous night was cancelled due to heavy winds, but the concert itself went ahead and included performances from pianist Lang Lang, trumpeter Chris Botti, saxophonist Kenny G, singers Laura Pausini, Elisa, Sarah Brightman, and Heather Headley, conductor Bill Ross, the special guest was 14-time Grammy Award winning David Foster. Performances from Bocelli included Con te partirò, Vivo per lei, Il Mare Calmo della Sera, and The Prayer. Heather Headley was the other half of the duet in both Vivo per lei and The Prayer. Elisa performed La voce del silenzio, Laura Pausini sung Vivere, while Sarah Brightman performed Time to Say Goodbye as a duet with Bocelli and Canto della terra. Dueting with Bocelli on their respective instruments other performers included Lang Lang (Io ci sarò), Kenny G (A te), Chris Botti (Italia), and David Foster playing Because We Believe and a medley from Amore.
Vivere Live in Tuscany, the DVD of the concert was released January 29, 2008.
|A te||Andrea Bocelli; Kenny G|
|Vivere||Andrea Bocelli; Laura Pausini|
|Io ci sarò||Andrea Bocelli, Lang Lang|
|Hungarian Rhapsody #2||Lang Lang|
|Mille Lune Mille Onde||Andrea Bocelli|
|La Voce del Silenzio||Andrea Bocelli|
|Canto del Terra||Andrea Bocelli; Sarah Brightman|
|Bellissime Stelle||Andrea Bocelli; David Foster|
|Medley: Besame Mucho / Somos Novios / Can't Help Falling in Love||Andrea Bocelli; David Foster|
|Because we believe||Andrea Bocelli; David Foster|
|The Prayer||Andrea Bocelli; Heather Headley; David Foster|
|Somewhere Over the Rainbow||Heather Headley|
|Someone to Watch Over Me||Chris Botti|
|Italia||Andrea Bocelli; Chris Botti|
|Vivo per lei||Andrea Bocelli; Heather Headley|
|Sogno||Andrea Bocelli; David Foster|
|Il Mare Calmo della Sera||Andrea Bocelli|
|Time to Say Goodbye||Andrea Bocelli; Sarah Brightman|
Four One Music & Events organized the third concert on 20 July 2008.
- Orchestra Roma Sinfonietta (The Rome Sinfonietta Orchestra)
- Sinfonietta Orchestra of Rome
- Nicola Piovani
- Roberto Bolle
- Jake Zyrus
Zyrus sang a duet of the song "The Prayer" with Bocelli, having only met for the first time 23 May 2008 when performing at a one-night tribute concert with David Foster at the Mandalay Bay Events Center on the Las Vegas Strip.
|Petite Mort||Roberto Bolle; Shirley Esseboom|
|Voglio vivere così||Andrea Bocelli; Carlo Bernini|
|O Surdato 'Nnamurato||Andrea Bocelli; Carlo Bernini|
|La Notte di San Lorenzo||Nicola Piovani|
|Torna a Surriento||Andrea Bocelli; Carlo Bernini|
|Santa Lucia||Andrea Bocelli; Carlo Bernini; Kristian Cellini|
|Non ti scordar di me||Andrea Bocelli; Carlo Bernini|
|Mamma||Andrea Bocelli; Carlo Bernini|
|Funiculì, Funiculà||Andrea Bocelli; Carlo Bernini|
|L'Arlésienne||Andrea Bocelli; Sabrina Brazzo|
For 2009, eight sculptures, by Hans Peter Ditzler, were placed in the theater. The concert took place on July 18. Among Bocelli's guests were Plácido Domingo, with whom he sang "Nessun dorma" from Puccini's Turandot and a duet from The Pearl Fishers, and Katherine Jenkins, with whom he sang "Time to Say Goodbye".
Sculptures by Swiss artist Kurt Laurenz Metzler, who attended the concert, were exhibited during the 2010 edition of the concert, and Italian actress Gina Lollobrigida, who was also in attendance, donated a Bronze statue she had made of Bocelli, to the city of Lajatico, in the afternoon just before the concert.
Bocelli held the fifth edition of the Teatro del Silenzio, on July 25, to an audience of 10,000, double the amount of the first edition of the annual Festival, held in 2006. His guests included one of the two surviving member of The Three Tenors, Spanish Catalan tenor, José Carreras, and Italian rock singer, Zucchero.
He was also awarded the Pisano Doc, during the dress rehearsal for the concert, July 24, "in recognition for a great citizen, who with his extraordinary art and his humanity brings great prestige, honor and respect to the city of Pisa."
The edition was held on July 12, 2012.
The 2013 edition of the annual concert was held on July 13, 2013. Numbers included a cover of "Love Me Tender" initially performed by Elvis Presley and Italian renditions of Frank Sinatra's "My Way" and Edith Piaf's "La Vie en Rose". Guests included tenor Riccardo Cocciante. As is tradition, Andrea Bocelli performed "Time to Say Goodbye" at the end of the concert.
The 2016 edition of the concert themed 'Le Cirque' was held on July 30, 2016 with a dress rehearsal open to the public on July 29, 2016. The performance mostly consisted of selections from some of the most well known operas with a few 'pop' numbers in the mix. Andrea Bocelli was joined by the legendary South Korean lyrical soprano, Sumi Jo as well as Leo Nucci, Gianfranco Montesor, Svetla Vassileva, Tiziana Carraro, Frederico Longhi, Giuseppe Raimondo, Carmelo Corrado Caruso, Paulo Pecchioli, and I Cantori di Burlamacco. The program was as follows:
- 'La Strada' di N. Rota (Orchestra el Teatro 'Carlo Felice' di Genova)
- 'Pagliacci' di R. Leoncavallo – Prologo e Vesti la Giubba (Leo Nucci & Andrea Bocelli
- 'Rigoletto' di G. Verdi – Caro Nome, Piangi Fanciulla, e La Donna e Mobile (Sumi Jo, Leo Nucci e Andrea Bocelli
- 'Lucia di Lammermoor' di G. Donizetti – Verranno a te sull'aure (A. Bocelli e Sumi Jo)
- 'Carmen' di G Bizet – Les voici (Coro del Teatro Carlo Felice di enova e i Cantori di Burlamacco)
- 'Aida' di Verdi – Gran Finale Atto 2 (Ensemble)
- 'Danza delle Spade' di A. Khachaturian (Orchestra)
- 'La Frza Del Destino' di Verdi – Invano Alvaro (A. Boceli e Leo Nucci)
- 'Sunrise' di G. Allevi (G. Allevi e Orchestra)
- 'La Danza' di G. Rossini (A.Bocelli e G Alllevi)
- 'Andrea Chenier' di U. Giordano – Si, Fui Soldato e Vicino a te S'aqueta (A. Bocellu e Svetla Vassileva)
- 'Marcia dei Gladiatori' de J. Fucik (Orchestra)
- Il trovatore' Verdi – L'onda de' suoni mistici/Di quella pira (Bocelli, Vassileva, e Matteo Bocelli
- 'Un Ballo in Maschera' Verdi – Eri tu che macchiavi e Su, profetessa... (L. Nucci, A. Bocelli)
- 'La Boheme' Puccini – Atto 2 (Ensemble)
- 'Nelle tue Mani' (A. Bocelli)
The 2017 version of the concert was performed on August 3 and was titled 'Il canto della Terra' (the song of the Earth). Performances ranged from artists coming from Argentina, Haiti, Armenia, Spain and many others. World renown dancer Carla Fracci also joined the stage, as well as Andrea Bocelli Foundation's Haitian choir 'Voices of Haiti'
The site of Teatro del Silenzio also incorporates sculptures by renowned artists. Sculptures have been selected to be exhibited on a platform in the center of the lake. In 2008, Mario Ceroli's "Il Cavallo di Bronzo", a bronze horse was displayed with past sculptures including Arnaldo Pomodoro's "Il Grande Sole", and works by Igor Mitoraj and Kurt Laurenz Metzler.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Teatro del Silenzio.|
- Tyzack, Anna (2008-05-31). "Property overseas: Unsung Italy". Telegraph.co.uk. London: Telegraph Group Limited. Retrieved 2008-10-10. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Capacity for 2008 based on this Archived 2012-07-23 at Archive.today seating plan.
- "The location: "Il Teatro Del Silenzio"". faltone.it. Faltone. Archived from the original on May 9, 2009. Retrieved 2008-10-13. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Sernaglia (2008-09-11). "Italy's fairground-ride cluster". The Economist. Retrieved 2008-10-11. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Celine and Charice blow Garden away". Filipino Reporter. New York Press Club. Retrieved 2008-10-11. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- BBC Two 18:50 (GMT) (2007-12-25). Andrea Bocelli: The Story Behind the Voice (Television documentary). BBC. Retrieved 2007-12-25. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Teatro del Silenzio 2006". lajatico.info. medialife.it. Retrieved 2008-10-10. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Teatro del Silenzio 2007". lajatico.info. medialife.it. Retrieved 2008-10-10. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Andrea Bocelli – Career". andreabocelli.com. Andrea Bocelli. Archived from the original on 2008-08-22. Retrieved 2008-10-12. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) Career → 2007 → 06 07.07.05
- "Andrea Bocelli – Il Teatro del Silenzio – 20 Luglio 2008" (in Italian). Four One Music and Events. Retrieved 2008-10-11. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)