Tech News Today
|Tech News Today|
|Hosted by||Tom Merritt (2010-14)
Becky Worley (2010-11)
Sarah Lane (2010-14)
Darren Kitchen (2010-14)
Iyaz Akhtar (2010-13)
Len Peralta (2013)
Jason Howell (2010-14)
Mike Elgan (2014-present)
|Length||30 minutes +/-|
|Production||Erik Lanigan (2010)
Jason Howell (2010-14)
Anthony Nielsen (2014)
Jason C. Cleanthes (2014-present)
|No. of episodes||1233|
|Debut||June 1, 2010|
|License||CC-BY-NC-SA (before 2015-04-09)
Tech News Today, or TNT for short, is a podcast with discussions of new stories in conversation with journalists. The netcast is part of the TWiT Network. The show premiered on June 1, 2010. It was originally hosted by Tom Merritt for the first 912 episodes of the show. On December 5, 2013, host Leo Laporte announced in a blog post on the TWiT website, that Merritt would not be returning to the show due to Laporte wanting an "in studio host/news director."
Tech News Today was started by Merritt, Becky Worley, Erik Lanigan, and Laporte (although Laporte was only there for the first episode). Sarah Lane joined the show as co-host on Mondays and Fridays and started working every day on the show after Worley left the show in March 2011. Lane's last Tech News Today show was episode 941 and she went on to host Tech News 2Night, TWiT's evening news show every weeknight. Iyaz Akhtar also joined the show as a guest in episode 4 and joined as a co-host on episode 209. Akhtar's last Tech News Today show was episode 911 and he went on to become Senior Editor at CNET. Jason Howell joined Tech News Today at episode 83. Howell's last Tech News Today was episode 1122. He went on to replace Chad Johnson, becoming "Laporte's producer," producing This Week in Tech, MacBreak Weekly, This Week in Google, and Triangulation netcasts. The show is now hosted by Mike Elgan who joined Tech News Today at episode 913, and rotating co-anchors. Episode 1 of TNT appeared on June 1, 2010. Tech News Today is shown through a live video feed along with many of the rest of the TWiT network shows.
Merritt moved to Los Angeles, CA to accommodate his wife Eileen Rivera's new job at YouTube. Tech News Today continued on with Merritt being a Skype host, and he did his first show as a host via Skype in Episode 671 from his home studio in Los Angeles.
Len Peralta, a graphic artist, illustrator, and cartoonist, joined Tech News Today at Episode 756 on Fridays to illustrate the show. The drawings would then go up to Peralta's web site for sale.
The show featured three segments during the Merritt era of Tech News Today: The News Fuse where each host talked about the top stories of that day for around 5 minutes (this was followed by an ad read), Merritt would then welcome the guest(s) on that show to discuss the news of the day and talk about/analyze it and the Randomizer were the audience decided based on a Strawpoll what the final unusual tech news story was going to be. Elgan had a similar structure when he hosted Top News replacing The News Fuse, The Conversation, and In Other News replacing the Randomizer. This format was replaced, with the shows merged into one segment.
- Tom Merritt (until December 30, 2013...episode 912)
- Becky Worley (until March 29, 2011...episode 209)
- Erik Lanigan as Producer (until September 26, 2010...episode 82)
- Sarah Lane (until February 10, 2014...episode 941)
- Darren Kitchen (Mondays and Fridays until December 30, 2013...episode 912)
- Jason Howell as Producer/Host (until October 27, 2014...episode 1122) (started episode 83...September 27, 2010)
- Iyaz Akhtar (until December 18, 2013...episode 905) (started episode 209...March 29, 2011)
- Len Peralta (Fridays until December 20, 2013...episode 907) (started episode 756...May 17, 2013)
- "twit.tv". Retrieved 8 April 2015.
These netcasts are released under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Share-Alike license.
- "twit.tv". Retrieved 9 April 2015.
All TWiT streams and on-demand shows are released under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No-Derivatives 4.0 International license.
- "Tech News Today". Retrieved 2014-07-14.
- "Changes at TWiT, Part 1". Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- "Tech News Today 1: The Beard And The Blonde". Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- "Tech News Today 4: Elon Musk Would Know". Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- "Tech News Today 209: Sloppy Science Talk". Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- "Tech News Today 911: 2014 Predictions". Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- "Tech News Today 83: Don't Poach Me Bro". Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- "Jason's last Tech News Today". Retrieved 2014-11-06.
- "Tech News Today 913: An Informal New Years Eve Chat". Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- "Tech News Today 671: Netflix Neutrality". Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- "The Year in Podcasts – best of 2011 from iTunes Rewind | 1X57". 1x57.com. Retrieved 2013-02-27.