This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (May 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Techron is a patented fuel additive developed by the Chevron Corporation, usually consisting of gasoline mixed with 400 ppm of polyetheramine (PEA). With the introduction of Techron, Chevron gasolines became designated as meeting Top Tier standards for fuel cleanliness. Chevron gasolines with Techron were some of the first gasolines to be named as a "Top Tier Detergent Gasoline". "Top Tier Detergent Gasoline(s)" are agreed to lead to better performance in engines by BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen, and Audi.
Techron had been first patented and introduced as a concentrate available at Chevron stations in 1981. Techron was then marketed in all Chevron gasolines in May 1995, and the Chevron Cars made their debut to promote this introduction in advertising.
Techron is available at Chevron, Texaco, and Caltex stations in all three grades of gasoline. Techron is also available as a packaged concentrate, for use with gasoline that does not include Techron.
Techron consists of five components:
- Distillates, hydrotreated light at 40-70% weight
- Stoddard solvent at 15-40% weight
- Solvent naphtha (petroleum), light aromatic at 5-10% weight
- Benzene, 1,2,4-trimethyl at 1-5% weight
- PEA (detergent), polyether amines at 20-49% weight
- Farmer, Robert F., Fuel Compositions Containing Estermines
- Upshaw, Lynn B. , Truth: new rules for marketing in a skeptical world, Amacom, 2007, pg. 171
- The History of Techron, 2010, Chevron.com
- Campbell, C.B., & Peyla, R. J. (1981). U.S. Patent No. 4,270,930. Washington, DC: U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Techron.com, 2010, Techron Technology
- Chevron.com, 2011, Material Safety Data Sheet
- Salpukas, Agis (2 March 1994). "Science and Marketing Mix in Gasoline". New York Times. Retrieved 12 November 2014.
- Dole, Charles E. (5 January 1987). "Is gasoline behind your car problems?". Christian Science Monitor. Retrieved 12 November 2014.
- Texaco with Techron
- Chevron Quality Gas
- Chevron TECHRON Concentrate Technical Explanation
- Chevron Unveils New Gasolines With "Techron"
|This article related to natural gas, petroleum or the petroleum industry is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|