|Founded||Colorado, United States (2006, as Techstars, LLC.)|
|Jared Polis (Co-founder)|
Techstars is an American seed accelerator, founded in Boulder, Colorado in 2006 by David Cohen, Brad Feld, David Brown, and Jared Polis. Techstars has both industry agnostic "city" programs, and "vertical" programs typically operated in partnership with large corporations. Techstars has accepted over 1000 companies into its programs. Collectively, these companies have raised over $3.3B USD.
In 2006, Techstars was founded in Boulder, Colorado by David Cohen, Brad Feld, David Brown, and Jared Polis. Techstars held its first program in Boulder in 2007 with ten companies. Of the ten, two were acquired that same year, three achieved positive exits by 2012, and two currently generate millions in annual revenue.
In subsequent years, Techstars expanded to four additional cities: Boston in 2009; Seattle in 2010; New York City in 2011; a "cloud" program in San Antonio in 2012; and Austin in 2013. Techstars has since expanded into many other locations worldwide.
In January 2011, the firm launched the Global Accelerator Network (GAN), which links 22 similar programs internationally. The network was launched in conjunction with President Barack Obama's Startup America Partnership. GAN is now an independently operated organization. Techstars has also supported the formation of Patriot Boot Camp.
In September 2013, Techstars made its first acquisition with NameLayer, a repository of "high-quality", tech-focused domain names. It now offers these domain names to its program participants. In June 2015, Techstars announced the acquisition of UP Global, reintegrating programs like Startup Weekend into the Techstars family.
Startups can apply for Techstars' program and their viability is judged by the Managing Director of the program they applied to, as well as a screening committee composed of various members of the Techstars network. In exchange for 6% common stock, each company accepted into Techstars receives $20,000; plus a $100,000 convertible note, access to the Techstars network for life, over $1M worth of perks, and a three-month accelerator program, which is conducted in three phases. Mentorship is one of the highest values of joining Techstars, according to the Handshakin Video Series
- Digital Ocean
- Distil Networks
- Next Big Sound
- Orbotix (Sphero)
- Simple Energy
- "[Updated] These Are The 15 Best Accelerators In The U.S." TechCrunch. AOL. 10 March 2014.
- "The 15 Best Startup Accelerators in the U.S." Inc.com.
- "How To Make The Most Of Your Startup Accelerator Program Experience". TechCrunch. AOL. 7 May 2015.
- "7 key things you need to know about an accelerator like Techstars - VentureBeat - Entrepreneur - by Mo Marshall". VentureBeat.
- "The Best Startup Accelerators Of 2015". Forbes. 17 March 2015.
- Chafkin, Max. Future Techstars, Step Forward. Inc.. April 2, 2012.
- "Techstars 2016 Impact Report". Techstars 2016 Impact Report. Retrieved 2017-03-09.
- "Techstars Alumni Companies". Techstars.
- Mentors. Techstars.
- Bilton, Nick. Techstars Nurtures Start-Ups With Mentors. The New York Times. April 8, 2011.
- Jeffries, Adrianne. Techstars NY More Selective than the Ivy League. The New York Observer. November 24, 2010.
- Myers, Courtney Boyd. Techstars: the next great incubator unleashes 11 startups in NYC. The Next Web. April 16, 2011.
- Bigelow, Bruce V. Lessons from Techstars’ David Cohen on Building a Startup Culture: 7 Takeaways from the Xconomy San Diego Dinner. Xconomy. February 3, 2012.
- Results Results: Techstars.
- Olanoff, Drew. The eleven companies relocated to San Antonio to join the first Techstars Cloud. The Next Web. April 11, 2012.
- Thomas, Mike. Techstars Program to Jumpstart San Antonio’s Investment Community. The San Antonio Business Journal. April 4, 2012.
- Dickinson, Boonsri. Microsoft Just Picked 11 Startups to Build Amazing Apps for Kinect. Business Insider. April 2, 2012.
- "Techstars network". Techstars.
- Global Accelerator Network
- Spencer, Malia. AlphaLab now part of Techstars Network. Pittsburgh Business Times. January 31, 2011.
- "Techstars Announces Patriot Boot Camp - Techstars". Techstars. 2012-06-04. Retrieved 2017-03-09.
- "TechStars buys NameLayer to save its startups from awful domain names - VentureBeat - Deals - by Ricardo Bilton". VentureBeat.
- "Techstars Acquires UP Global Including Startup Weekend and Other Programs - Techstars". Techstars. 2015-06-16. Retrieved 2017-03-09.
- Dillet, Romain. "Techstars launches a new program in Paris at the Partech Shaker". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2017-03-23.
- "Air Force opens applications for dual-purpose technology accelerator p". U.S. Air Force. Retrieved 2017-09-22.
- Popper, Ben. How the quiet Adam Rothenberg became number two at hot startup incubator Techstars NY. Venture Beat. March 12, 2012.
- Fields, Jonathan. Uncertainty: Turning Fear and Doubt into Fuel for Brilliance. Portfolio Hardcover, 2011.
- Patterson, Irina; Arnold, Candice (March 7, 2011). "Business Incubator Series: An Interview With David Cohen, Founder And CEO, Startup Accelerator TechStars – Boulder, Colorado (Part 1)". Sramana Mitra.
- "David Cohen, Co-founder/Managing Partner of Techstars". Handshakin Video Series. Retrieved 2015-12-27.
- Crook, Jordan (July 16, 2013). "TechStars-Backed Bookkeeping Service 10Sheet Relaunches As Bench With New $2M Seed Round". TechCrunch.
- Lardinois, Frederic (March 23, 2014). "Digital Ocean's Journey From TechStars Reject To Cloud-Hosting Darling". TechCrunch.
- "TechStars Grad Distil.It Lands $1.8M To Help Your Business Put A Stop To Bots, Web Scraping & Content Theft". TechCrunch. AOL. 24 January 2013.
- Wauters, Robin (September 8, 2011). "TechStars Graduate FullContact Lands $1.5 Million, Helps Keep Contact Records Updated". TechCrunch.
- Cheredar, Tom. Graphicly shutters iOS & Android comic book apps to focus on self-publishing service. Venture Beat. April 5, 2012.
- Vuong, Andy. Colorado startups becoming tech stars. The Denver Post. April 10, 2010.
- Leswing, Kif. "Infinit revisits personal peer-to-peer file sharing". June 9, 2014. Retrieved January 25, 2015.
- Kincaid, Jason. Automattic Has Acquired IntenseDebate's Enhanced Comment System. TechCrunch. September 23, 2008.
- "Pando: Coursekit is Now Lore: Rebrand Reflects Expansion Beyond College Courses, With New Investment from Peter Thiel". Pando.
- Hendren, Olivia (21 October 2014). "Cincinnati's Lisnr joins top-ranked national accelerator". Cincinnati Business Courier. Retrieved 29 December 2016.
- "TechStars alum Mocavo grabs $4M to help you find your ancestors - VentureBeat - Deals - by Sean Ludwig". VentureBeat.
- "Mocavo Acquired By Findmypast: A New Chapter Begins". Mocavo Blog - News, Announcements & More from the World's Largest Free Genealogy Search Engine.
- "TechStars London Unveils First Cohort, Applications Increased 4x Post-Springboard Merger". TechCrunch. Retrieved 15 February 2015.
- Kyle Alspach (6 February 2012). "An unusual TechStar: Murfie seeks to build huge CD store". Boston Business Journal.
- Ruth, Joao-Pierre. Xconomis of the Week. Xconomy. April 12, 2012.
- "Sphero". Crunchbase.
- . Orbotix Sphero is Rolling to an Apple Store Near You. Techcrunch. June 29, 2012.
- Dizik, Alina. 6 Time-Management Tips from Accelerator Programs. Fast Company. March 14, 2012.
- "ShuttleCloud". CrunchBase. May 31, 2012. Retrieved July 16, 2013.
- "America's Most Promising Social Entrepreneurs 2012". Bloomberg.com. 21 June 2012.
- Liam Boogar (February 25, 2013). "With 20,000+ users on board, Sketchfab raises a 370K€ Angel round for its YouTube of 3D". Rude Baguette.
- "Sketchfab raises $2m to scale its "YouTube for 3D files"". Balderton Capital. December 5, 2013.
- Reisinger, Don. AOL Acquires Lifestreaming Service Socialthing. Mashable. August 14, 2008.
- Stan Bokov (July 16, 2015). "Social network for investors TradingView raises $3.6m". Finextra.
- Moschen, Isabell (June 6, 2013). "The Two-Wheeled Amenity". New York Times.
- Schiller, Ben. "A Self-Contained Bike Share To Make College (Or Your Office Park) More Fun". Co.Exist.