|George Zhu (Founder & CEO)|
|Products||Mobile phones, tablets, routers, accessories|
|Revenue||US$1 billion (2020)|
Tecno has focused its business on the African, Middle East, Southeast Asian, South Asian, Latin American, and Eastern European markets.
In 2006, Tecno Mobile was founded as Tecno Telecom Limited, but later changed its name to Transsion Holdings with Tecno Mobile serving as one of its subsidiaries. In 2007, Tecno created a second brand, Itel that sold in Africa. In early 2008, Tecno focused entirely to Africa following market research, and by 2010, it was among the top three mobile phone brands in Africa.
In 2016, Tecno entered the Middle East mobile phone market. In 2017, it entered the Indian market, launching its ‘Made for India’ smartphones: the ‘i’ series - i5, i5 Pro, i3, i3 Pro and i7. The company initially started in Rajasthan, Gujarat, and Punjab, and by December 2017 was spread across the country.
The firm has identified other emerging markets, besides Africa and India, with large populations but low purchasing power. It entered the Bangladesh and Nepal markets in 2017 and has started trial sales in Pakistan. It is still trying to penetrate the Pakistani market and has started its sales online through various E-commerce channels including its own website.
- Deck, Andrew (23 June 2020). "Your guide to Transsion, Africa's biggest mobile phone supplier". Rest of World. Retrieved 8 August 2020.
Transsion operates three brands from its headquarters in Shenzhen in China: Infinix, Itel, and Tecno.
- "Tecno Mobile Unlimited – Supplier Profile". service.ariba.com. Retrieved 17 May 2020.
- "Samsung, Apple, Tecno top list of mobile brands with highest SOV in Q2 of 2016". Retrieved 26 August 2017.
- "Chinese phone maker Tecno Mobile forays into Middle East". Retrieved 1 October 2017.
- "How Transsion became No 3 in India by solving oily fingers problem". South China Morning Post. Retrieved 15 January 2018.
- "Transsion Holdings to shift manufacturing base to India".
Major mobile device companies
Companies with an annual revenue of over US$3 billion