|65 – Ted Barrett|
Barrett in 2012
July 31, 1965 |
|MLB debut||May 27, 1994|
|Career highlights and awards|
Edward George "Ted" Barrett (born July 31, 1965) is an umpire in Major League Baseball. He joined the American League's staff in 1994, and has worked throughout both major leagues since 2000. Barrett wore uniform number 12 (previously worn by Terry Cooney) while on the American League staff, then changed to 65 when the American and National League umpiring staffs merged in 2000.
Barrett grew up in North Tonawanda, New York and Mountain View, California. He earned a degree in kinesiology at Cal State-Hayward in 1988. In college he was captain of the football team. Prior to pursuing umpiring, he was an amateur boxer.
His professional umpiring career began after he attended the Joe Brinkman Umpire School in 1989, and he worked his way up to the Pacific Coast League for the 1993 season. He made his major league debut in 1994. For the next five seasons, Barrett served as a fill-in umpire for vacationing or injured major league umpires. Barrett was one of the 25 umpires promoted in the wake of the Major League Umpires Association's mass-resignation strategy in July 1999. His five years of experience made him one of the most experienced of the 25 umpires called up to fill the sudden vacancies.
He was promoted to the position of crew chief prior to the 2013 season.
During a game between the Atlanta Braves and the San Francisco Giants on August 14, 2007, Barrett ejected Atlanta manager Bobby Cox for arguing balls and strikes. The ejection was the 132nd of Cox's managerial career, breaking the major league record previously held by John McGraw.
He became the only umpire in major league history to be behind the plate for two perfect games on June 13, 2012, when Matt Cain pitched a perfect game for the San Francisco Giants against the Houston Astros.
He is also heavily involved with Christian ministry, and has earned a master's degree in Biblical Studies from Trinity College and Seminary. In 2013 he earned his PhD in theology with an emphasis in Pastoral Ministry from Trinity Theological Seminary.
- "3 MLB Umps Hired, 3 Retired, 3 New Crew Chiefs". Close Call Sports. Retrieved 25 January 2013.
- For Ted Barrett, first Cone, now Cain ESPN.com. Retrieved 14 June 2012
- Maddux first NL pitcher to 300 since Carlton ESPN.com. Retrieved 14 June 2012
- Bowman, Mark. Cox breaks all-time ejections record MLB.com. Retrieved 14 June 2012
- "Angels 3, Indians 1". MLB.com. Retrieved 30 April 2012.
- "Chicago White Sox vs. Seattle Mariners - Box Score - April 21, 2012". ESPN. Retrieved 30 April 2012.
- Kevin Millwood, five Mariners relievers combine to no-hit Dodgers ESPN.com. Retrieved 14 June 2012
- Umpires for Wild Card Games, Division Series announced Darling, Kellogg Will Serve As Crew Chiefs for Wild Card Games; Davis, DeMuth, Gorman and West Assigned to Lead Division Series Crews. MLB.com. Retrieved October 5, 2012.