Ted Kaptchuk (born 1947) is an American author, researcher, and Professor of Medicine and Professor of Global Health and Social Medicine at Harvard Medical School, where he focuses on the placebo effect.
Education and career
Kaptchuk earned his Doctorate of Oriental Medicine after five years of study in China in 1975. After returning to the United States, he was clinical director of the Pain Unit at Boston's Lemuel Shattuck Hospital. In 1990, he accepted a position as the associate director of the Center for Alternative Medicine Research and Education at the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston. In 2011, he became Director of the Harvard-wide Program in Placebo Studies and the Therapeutic Encounter, hosted at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.
Kaptchuk has been an expert panelist for the FDA, served on numerous NIH panels, and worked as a medical writer for the BBC. He has authored over 200 peer-reviewed publications. Kaptchuk’s work was listed by the New Yorker Magazine as among “The Most Notable Medical Findings of 2015.”
- The Web That Has No Weaver, New York: McGraw-Hill, 1983. ISBN 978-0-8092-2840-9
- The Healing Arts: Exploring the Medical Ways of the World, Summit Books, 1987. ISBN 978-0-671-64506-9
- Miller FG, Colloca L, Crouch RA, Kaptchuk TJ (eds). The Placebo: A Reader. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2013.
Selected Media Presentations
- Placebo effects make good medicine better TedMed
- Placebo Effects in Medicine, New England Journal of Medicine Podcast
- The Potential of Placebo Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- Migraine Study Reveals the Power of Placebo NPR's Science Friday 1/10/14
- Research Shows Placebos May Have Place In Everyday Treatments NPR 2/13/13
- One Scholar's Take On The Power of The Placebo NPR 1/6/12
- Harnessing the placebo effect BBC 1/15/14
- Placebo effect may be 'down to genes' BBC 10/23/12
- "Kaptchuk, Ted J. 1947-". worldcat.org.
- Ted J. Kaptchuk. "Ted J. Kaptchuk". tedkaptchuk.com.
- Michael Specter (12 December 2011). "The Power of Nothing". The New Yorker.
- "Ted Kaptchuk of Harvard Medical School studies placebos - Harvard Magazine Jan-Feb 2013". harvardmagazine.com.
- http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/the-most-notable-medical-findings-of-2015 The Most Notable Medical Findings of 2015, The New Yorker
- Personal website
- Placebo Effects in Medicine New England Journal of Medicine
- Pubmed's list of articles for TJ Kaptchuk
- The Placebo Phenomenon, Harvard Magazine
- Are Placebo Effects Worth Anything?
|This biographical article related to medicine in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an American scientist in academia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|