|Born||Theodore Peter Lewin
May 6, 1935
Buffalo, New York
|Occupation||Children's illustrator and writer|
Theodore Peter Lewin (born May 6, 1935) simply known as a pen name Ted Lewin is an American illustrator and writer of children's books. Lewin and his wife Betsy Lewin drew on their travels to exotic places such as the Amazon River, Botswana, Egypt, Lapland, the Sahara Desert, and India when collaborating on their many books. Lewin has illustrated over 100 books for children and young adults in the past 20 years.
Ted Lewin was born in Buffalo, New York on May 6, 1935. He has a sister and two brothers, Donn and Mark, both of them professional wrestlers. The Lewin household had a number of exotic pets, such as an iguana, a rhesus monkey, a chimpanzee, and a lion. Lewin grew up with the hobby of sketching his family pets. He also copied works of many illustrators and painters that interested him. While attending Lafayette High School (LHS), mentored by the respected art instructor Elizabeth Weiffenbach, Lewin refined his talent for art. He graduated from LHS in 1952, and in 1956 earned a BFA degree from Pratt Institute of Art in Brooklyn, where he met his wife, Betsy Reilly. He and his wife now reside in Brooklyn, New York.
In order to finance his education at Pratt, Lewin took on a part-time career as a teenage professional wrestler alongside his brothers. His wrestling career lasted for 15 years, and it inspired him to record his experience by writing I Was a Teenaged Professional Wrestler.
In 2006, One Green Apple, illustrated by Lewin and written by Eve Bunting, won the inaugural Arab American Book Award for books written for Children/Young Adults. One Green Apple tells the story of a young girl who has just immigrated to America from an Arab country and her discovery that her differences are what makes her special.
Some recent exhibits featuring Ted's work:
- "Ted and Betsy Lewin's World of Picture Books", Brooklyn Public Library, New York, March 4–30, 2004
- "Adventures With Ted and Betsy", Society of Illustrators main floor gallery, June 1 through June 11, 2005
- "Travels with Ted and Betsy Lewin", Children's Museum of Manhattan, New York
- "Around the World with Ted and Betsy Lewin", Pratt Institute Libraries, October 30 - December 2, 2008
- "Ted Lewin". National Center for Children's Illustrated Literature. Retrieved 22 February 2010.
- "Caldecott Medal & Honor Books, 1938-Present". American Library Association. Retrieved 22 February 2010.
- 2007 Arab American book Award Winners, http://www.arabamericanmuseum.org/2007-Arab-American-Book-Award-Winners.id.261.htm