Ted White (stuntman)
Ted White at a horror Convention in Nashville on April, 2012.
January 25, 1926 |
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States
White played football for the University of Oklahoma. He then pursued a stuntman/acting career. In Sands of Iwo Jima (1949), White was approached because of his Marine Corps background when they needed a consultant for the layout of the island. That was when White met John Wayne and began doubling for him in 1952.
White has had minor roles in several western films and in such television series as Daniel Boone, Hunter, Magnum, P.I. and The Rockford Files, usually in tough-guy roles such as police officers or hired thugs. He has also worked in Gone in 60 Seconds, Silverado, Major League, Starman, and Tron.
In 1984, White played hockey masked serial killer Jason Voorhees in Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter, after the director needed a large man for the part. White reluctantly accepted because he needed the money. Uneasy about playing one of the most infamous murderers in screen history, White asked not to be credited on screen for his part. He was later credited for the archive footage of him as Jason that was used in the seventh Friday film.
White became infuriated with director Joseph Zito for being insensitive to the pain actress Judie Aronson was experiencing when she was out on the raft filming her nude death scene, where she developed hypothermia and started crying from the pain brought on by the cold. This angered White to the point that he threatened to quit. Zito complied because he did not have the time or resources to find another stuntman White's size. Despite his initial distaste for the role, he is considered by many fans to have been one of the best Jasons.
White was offered the role of Jason for Friday the 13th: A New Beginning and Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives, but turned them down. The roles ultimately went to stuntmen Tom Morga and C. J. Graham, respectively.
- Crystal Lake Memories: The Complete History of Friday the 13th (2013) as Himself
- His Name was Jason: 30 Years of Friday the 13th (2009) as Himself
- Double Take (2001)
- Gone in 60 Seconds (2000) Stunts
- X-Files (2000–2001)
- Wild Wild West (1999) Stunts
- Downtown (1990)
- Road House (1989) Stunts
- Major League (1989) Stunts
- Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood (1988) as Jason Voorhees (archive footage)
- The Hidden (1987) as Agent Fowler
- Hot Pursuit (1987) as Tommy Ray
- Short Circuit (1986) Stunts
- The Spawning 2 (1985)
- Silverado (1985) as Hoyt
- The Wild Life (1984)
- Against All Odds (1984)
- Friday the 13th Part IV: The Final Chapter (1984) as Jason Voorhees (uncredited)
- Romancing the Stone (1984) as Grogan
- Cloak & Dagger (1984) Stunts
- Starman (1984) as Deer Hunter
- Tron (1982) as a Guard
- Escape from New York (1981) Stunts
- Used Cars (1980) as Police Deputy
- Oh, God! Book II (1980) as Motorcycle Policeman
- Going Ape! (1980) as Goon 1
- Bronco Billy (1980) Stunts (uncredited)
- 1941 (1979) Stunts (uncredited)
- Dirty Mary Crazy Larry (1974) as Trooper
- Soylent Green (1973) Stunts
- Prime Cut (1972) Stunts (uncredited)
- Planet of the Apes (1968) Stunts (uncredited)
- Point Blank (1967) as Football Player
- Cat Ballou (1965) as Gunslinger (uncredited)
- Hatari! (1962) as John Wayne's Stunt Double (uncredited)
- The Alamo (1960) as Tennessean (uncredited)
- Born Reckless (1958) as Cowboy (uncredited)
- The Perfect Furlough (1958) as Soldier (uncredited)
- Sands of Iwo Jima (1949) as Marine (uncredited)
|Actors portraying Jason Voorhees