|Studio album by Beach House|
|Released||January 26, 2010|
|Genre||Dream pop, Indie rock|
|Label||Sub Pop, Bella Union|
|Beach House chronology|
Teen Dream is the third studio album by American dream pop duo Beach House, released in January 2010. Produced by Chris Coady, Teen Dream is Beach House's Sub Pop debut. The album was well received by the music press, who hailed it as one of the best albums of 2010.
The recording of Teen Dream took place after extensive touring of the Beach House's previous album, Devotion (2008). According to Legrand, while on tour "we definitely stored up a lot of energy and ideas that we had. By the end of the touring cycle we couldn’t wait to get back home to start working on the next record. In some ways, touring is a restraint on the creative side, because it’s hard to write on the road. So you just have to wait, and sit on this anticipation until the time you’re able to spend days, weeks, months working on something." The duo strove to create a more "sophisticated" album and, according to the group, the demos of this record were comparable to the final tracks that made up their previous record. Also, their use of extensive reverb was held back significantly. According to Alex Scally "There's very little reverb on the record".
Recording this album was considerably more expensive; Scally says, "Every bit of money we got, we spent. The recording was insanely expensive. Every single step of the way, we've just tried to go more, go further".
|The A.V. Club||A−|
Reception for Teen Dream was very positive. Review aggregator Metacritic, which collates reviews from various publications, indicates a score of 82 out of 100 from 35 professional critics, indicating "universal acclaim". Many reviews commented on the change in sound including BBC Music, who stated that "the most unmistakeable sound on Teen Dream is that of a band truly finding its own voice". Several publications focused on Victoria Legrand's vocals, with Jody Rosen of Rolling Stone complimenting Legrand's "dusky torch singing" and The Boston Phoenix praising her voice as "coiling like smoke in the arches of the church". Robert Christgau, writing in MSN Music, selected "Lover of Mine" and "Norway" as highlights and awarded the album a one-star honorable mention rating, indicating "a worthy effort consumers attuned to its overriding aesthetic or individual vision may well like." In a negative review, Tom Hughes of The Guardian felt that Teen Dream is "carefully, even beautifully arranged", but nonetheless "oddly icy and melodically a little ineffectual". Audra Schroeder of The Austin Chronicle called the album "solid" but felt that it was "not Beach House's masterpiece," quipping that the duo "still got some gold dust to kick up".
Teen Dream was listed at number 17 on Rolling Stone's list of the 30 Best Albums of 2010. Teen Dream was named the 5th Best Album of 2010 by Pitchfork. In the publication's list of The Top 50 Albums of 2010, writer Stuart Berman points out the ubiquity of the album's sounds, stating "its billowy synth lines and sleigh-bell accents made it perfect winter listening. But the album made even more sense as the warm weather arrived—Teen Dream captures Beach House in the midst of a great thaw, the frosty surfaces melting away to reveal full-blooded passion". In Canada, Beach House was named Exclaim!'s No. 3 Pop & Rock Album of 2010. Writer Dimitri Nasrallah said "Beach House's third album is sublime and singular; working through a creative high point, the duo hit their stride in the songwriting department." In her review of Teen Dream's follow-up album Bloom, Pitchfork Media's Lindsay Zoladz refers to Teen Dream as Beach House's "first great record."
|4.||"Walk in the Park"||5:22|
|5.||"Used to Be"||3:58|
|6.||"Lover of Mine"||5:06|
|8.||"10 Mile Stereo"||5:03|
|iTunes Bonus Track|
A special edition DVD package was released containing either a CD or Vinyl and a DVD, featuring psychedelic visuals for each track from Teen Dream, produced by a separate director.
Sales chart performance
|US Billboard 200||43|
|US Billboard Alternative Albums||6|
- http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lists/9465-the-top-100-albums-of-2010-2014/. Missing or empty
- Carew, Anthony. "Interview: Victoria Legrand of Beach House". About.com. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- Interviews: Beach House | Features | Pitchfork Pitchfork Media - interview by Joe Colly.
- "Premature Evaluation: Beach House – Teen Dream". Stereogum. Stereogum. Retrieved 26 August 2015.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- "Reviews for Teen Dream by Beach House". Metacritic. Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- Phares, Heather. "Teen Dream – Beach House". AllMusic. Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- Martins, Chris (January 26, 2010). "Beach House: Teen Dream". The A.V. Club. Retrieved October 28, 2015.
- Vozick-Levinson, Simon (February 3, 2010). "Teen Dream". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved March 30, 2015.
- Hughes, Tom (January 21, 2010). "Beach House: Teen Dream". The Guardian. Retrieved October 28, 2015.
- Snapes, Laura (January 22, 2010). "Album review: Beach House – Teen Dream (Bella Union)". NME. Retrieved October 28, 2015.
- Richardson, Mark (January 26, 2010). "Beach House: Teen Dream". Pitchfork Media. Retrieved October 28, 2015.
- "Beach House: Teen Dream". Q (283): 110. February 2010.
- Rosen, Jody (January 25, 2010). "Teen Dream : Beach House". Rolling Stone. Archived from the original on March 5, 2010. Retrieved October 28, 2015.
- Cataldo, Jesse (February 16, 2010). "Beach House: Teen Dream". Slant Magazine. Retrieved October 28, 2015.
- Maerz, Melissa (December 23, 2009). "Beach House, 'Teen Dream' (Sub Pop)". Spin. Retrieved October 28, 2015.
- BBC - Music - Review of Beach House - Teen Dream BBC Music - album review by David Sheppard.
- Brodeur, Michael (January 19, 2010). "Beach House | Teen Dream". The Boston Phoenix. Retrieved October 28, 2015.
- Christgau, Robert. "Beach House: Teen Dream". RobertChristgau.com. Retrieved October 28, 2015.
- Christgau, Robert. "Key to Icons". RobertChristgau.com. Retrieved October 28, 2015.
- Schroeder, Audra (February 5, 2010). "Beach House: Teen Dream (Sub Pop)". The Austin Chronicle. Retrieved October 28, 2015.
- "The 30 Best Albums of 2010". Rolling Stone (December 25, 2010). Retrieved 18th January, 2011.
- Staff Lists: The Top 50 Albums of 2010 | Features | Pitchfork Pitchfork: 2010 End of Year List - article by Stuart Berman.
- "Pop & Rock Year in Review". Exclaim!.
- Zoladz, Lindsay. "Beach House: Bloom | Album Reviews". Pitchfork Media. Retrieved 5 June 2013.
- Teen Dream | Beach House | AllMusic AllMusic - Charts & Awards.