Teen Spirit (deodorant)
|Previous owners||The Mennen Company (1991-1992)|
Teen Spirit was first released by Mennen early in 1991, and with heavy advertising campaigns, it had soon "established a market niche" with teen girls. Sales were boosted by the grunge band Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit," a song inspired by Kathleen Hanna (then lead singer of the punk band Bikini Kill) writing "Kurt Smells Like Teen Spirit" on Kurt Cobain's wall (because Tobi Vail, Hanna's band mate and Kurt's then-girlfriend, wore Teen Spirit).
When Mennen was acquired by Colgate-Palmolive in 1992, the Teen Spirit brand was said to be the most popular product of its kind, and was the favorite of nearly 1/4 of all teenage girls. Because of its immense popularity, Colgate-Palmolive planned to begin a new hair care line with the Teen Spirit name. The new hair care products were released in August and sold well, as expected. The Teen Spirit name began to lose its share of the market, just as the song with the same name started to drop off the charts. Before long, the company was forced to drop the hair care line, but kept the deodorants. Today, all that is left of the Teen Spirit franchise is "Teen-Spirit Stick." Teen Spirit Stick is now only offered in one fragrance, Pink Crush. It is available in either the 1.4 or 2.3 ounce (40 or 69 gram) sizes.
- Pink Crush
- Sweet Strawberry (discontinued)
- Berry Blossom (discontinued)
- Pop Star (discontinued)
- Baby Powder Soft (discontinued)
- Romantic Rose (discontinued)
- California Breeze (discontinued)
- Ocean Surf (discontinued)
- Caribbean Cool (discontinued)
- Orchard Blossom (discontinued)
- "Colgate History". Retrieved 20 January 2016.
- "Innovation still key for Mennen". 17 June 1991. Retrieved 2006-07-03.
- Karavoulias, Terry. "The Story Behind Smells Like Teen Spirit". UpVenue. Retrieved 20 January 2016.
- "OUR HIT PARADE - Kathleen Hanna - Smells Like Teen Spirit - Rebel Girl - 12-15-2010". YouTube. Dec 16, 2010. Retrieved 20 January 2016.
- "Colgate Aims to Capture Teens". Retrieved 2006-07-03.
- "Physlabs Store". Retrieved 2006-07-03.
- "Teen Spirit Customer Reviews, Scent Name: Sweet Strawberry". Amazon.com. Retrieved 20 January 2016.