Tegeta Thermal Power Station
|Tegeta Thermal Power Station|
|Location||Tegeta, Dar es Salaam|
|Commission date||November 2009 (Natural Gas)|
|Thermal power station|
|Primary fuel||Natural gas|
|Nameplate capacity||45 MW|
Tegeta Thermal Power Station is a Tanzania Electric Supply Company owned power plant. The project began in 2006 half funded by the Tanzanian Government and the other half by The Government of the Kingdom of the Netherlands under ORET/MILIEV program.
The power-plant is located in Tageta, Dar es Salaam and has an installed capacity of 45 megawatts (60,000 hp) using Natural Gas as fuel. The power plant obtains Natural gas from the existing dar-es-salaam gas pipeline.
The Power plant operates on Natural gas bought from the national pipeline. ORCA Exploration Group Inc. was assigned the contract to provide the natural gas. Currently the government does not plan to expand this power plant due to limitations in the gas pipeline however TANESCO is expanding their gas generation capacity with their new Kinyerezi Power Plant.
In 2014 there was a Tegeta escrow scandal, that involved the embezzlement of around $250 million and $400 million. However, this was not the power station that was involved in the scandal, it was the power plant operated by Independent Power Tanzania Limited.
- Tanzania Electric Supply Company Limited (TANESCO)
- List of power stations in Tanzania
- Economy of Tanzania
- "Generating Power and Controversy: Understanding Tanzania's Independent Power Projects" (PDF). University of Cape Town, Graduate school of business. Retrieved 12 August 2015.
- Msuya, Poline. "Overview of Tanzania Gas Market and Role of EWURA" (PDF). naruc.org. RWURA. Retrieved 12 August 2015.
- Shana, Sebastian John. "Investment Opportunities in the gas sector in Tanzania" (PDF). sanec.org. Tanzania Petroleum Development Corporation. Retrieved 12 August 2015.
- "Orca Exploration announces commencement of gas sales to a new power plant in Tanzania". ORCA. 16 December 2009. Retrieved 12 August 2015.
- "Challenges of Unreliable Electricity Supply to Manufacturers in Tanzania" (PDF). cti.co.tz. Confederation of Tanzania Industries. Retrieved 12 August 2015.