|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Telephone code||91 3471|
|ISO 3166 code||IN-WB|
|Sex ratio||965 females/1000 males|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Krishnanagar|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Tehatta, Palshipara|
Tehatta is the headquarters of the Tehatta subdivision in Nadia district in the Indian state of West Bengal. The place has been a recent addition in the list of sub-divisions in the district of Nadia. Since its declaration as sub-division in 1996, it has seen development in infrastructure for setting up a base of state government offices. Tehatta is located beside the India-Bangladesh border area.
As per the 2011 Census of India, Tehatta had a total population of 21,093, of which 10,736 (51%) were males and 10,357 (49%) were females. Population below 6 years was 2,021. The total number of literates in Tehatta was 14,505 (76.05% of the population over 6 years).
In 2010, the town was declared to be a municipality.
Tehatta police station has jurisdiction over a portion of Tehatta I and Tehatta II CD Blocks.The total area covered by the police station is 519 km2 and the population covered is 351,654 (2001 census). 45 km of the India-Bangladesh border is within the PS area – 40 km across river borders.
CD Block HQ
Tehatta is an intermediate panchayat (local self-government) under Nadia Zilla Parishad. Village panchayats under it are – Betai I & II, Chanderghat, Chhitka, Kanainagar, Natna, Patharghata I & II, Raghunathpur, Shyamnagar, Tehatta, Barnia, Gopinathpur, Hanspukuria, Palashipara I & II, Boyarbandha, Khaspur, Kulgachhi, Palsunda I & II, and Sahebnagar.
This section does not cite any sources. (February 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Tehatta High School (up to 10th: for boys, 12th[clarification needed]: both boys and girls)- This highly prestigious school offers secondary & higher secondary education (science, arts and commerce) under the WBBSE & WBCHSE.
- Tehatta Shridam Chandra Balika Vidyalaya (for girls) also offers higher secondary education (arts).
- Jitpur Uchha Vidyalaya- (10th)
- Natna Uchha Vidyalaya- (12th)
Other Nearby High Schools :
- Debnathpur Sarat Sarkar High School
- Siddheswaritala Institution- the oldest high school of this area, established in 1921.
- Nimtala Vidhya Niketan(HS)
- Bhowanipur High School
- Palashipara Mahatma Gandhi Smriti Vidyapith
- Palashipara Mahatma Gandhi Smriti Balika Vidyapith
- Sahebnagar High School
- Hanspukuria Vidyapith (H.S.)
- Chanderghat high school(H.S.)
Tehatta Government College was established in 2014 under the University of Kalyani. The College started it's operations from the 2015-16 session with the faculty strength reaching 12 by the end of the session. Currently 5 arts subjects and 3 science subjects are taught there. Nearby another college is Dr. B.R. Ambedkar College situated at Betai, about 10 km from central of Tehatta. Another B.Ed college named Tehatta Institute of Education is located at Arshiganj village, about 5 km from Tehatta.
A sub-divisional hospital is located at the centre of the town along with some private medical facilities and a couple of nursing homes. Krishnanagar Sadar Hospital is about 42 km away.
Although almost all Hindu festivals are observed here, notable in recent decades has been the Jagaddhatri Puja. The Puja is celebrated with much pomp and grandeur during the waxing phase of the moon in the Bengali month of Kartik. There are about 50 puja committees and about six big budget pujas. Architects work for two months to make their pandals.
Krishna Rai Jeu Temple of Tehatta Thakurpara is the oldest temple in Tehatta area and many festivals happen throughout the year around Lord Krishna.
Batsarik Sanskritik Utsav - a cultural programme organized by Tehatta Lotus Club for 15 years, which is popular among the locality. This programme runs for five days every year during Christmas and New Year's Eve.
- Roads and highways
Tehatta is around 42 km north from the district town Krishnanagar and 140 km north from the state capital Kolkata. Tehatta is well connected with Krishnanagar and Karimpur via the Krishnanagar- Karimpur bus route (State highway 11) and connected with NH 34 via the Tehatta- Palashipara - Palashi /Tehatta Ghat-Barnia- Debagram route.
- Railway systems
In the 2009-2010 Indian rail budget, a new railway route was declared from Krishnanagar, Nadia to Berhampur, Murshidabad via Tehatta. Also, a new railway route between Tehatta Ghat to Katwa Ghat is under survey of Indian railway department.
- "Nadia District, West Bengal". Pilgrimage and tourist sites. District administration, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 2007-10-06.
- "2011 Census – Primary Census Abstract Data Tables". West Bengal – District-wise. Registrar General and Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 18 May 2017.
- "District Statistical Handbook 2014 Nadia". Table 2.1. Department of Statistics and Programme Implementation, Government of West Bengal. Archived from the original on 29 July 2017. Retrieved 17 May 2017.
- "Nadia District Police". Police Unit. West Bengal Police. Retrieved 17 May 2017.
- "Tehatta Police Station Details". Nadia Police. Retrieved 17 May 2017.
- "District Census Handbook: Nadia, Series 20 Part XII A" (PDF). Map of Nadia with CD Block HQs and Police Stations (on the fourth page). Directorate of Census Operations, West Bengal, 2011. Retrieved 2 May 2017.
- "Details of West Bengal till Village Panchayat Tier". Ministry of Panchayati Raj, Government of India. Retrieved 2007-10-06.[dead link]
- "Details of West Bengal till Village Panchayat Tier". Ministry of Panchayati Raj, Government of India. Archived from the original on 2011-10-14. Retrieved 2007-10-06. THERE IS ON SUB-DIVISIONAL COURT IN THE TEHATTA SUBDIVISION