Tehri Dam lake Panorama
|Founded by||King Sudarshan Shah (New Tehri by THDC)|
|• Body||New Tehri Nagar Palika (President Umesh Charan Gusai, Independent), 2013/04/30-present|
|Elevation||1,750 m (5,740 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Tehri is a city and a municipal board in Tehri Garhwal District in the Indian state of Uttarakhand. It is the administrative seat of Tehri Garhwal District. This urban municipality area has 14 wards, from Vasant Vihar to Vishwakarma Puram (Koti colony).
Umesh Charan Gusain is Chairman of Nagar Palika New Tehri. He won this position as an independent candidate, defeating the Indian National Congress candidate. He is the only Chairman who won this seat two times consecutively in 61 years. Tehri now comes under the Tehri assembly seat of Uttrakhand and the Tehri Lok Sabha seat of India, which are represented by Dinesh Dhanai (Independent) and Raj Laxmi Shah (Bhartiya Janta Party) respectively.
The old town of Tehri sat at the confluence of the Bhagirathi and Bhilangna rivers. Tehri was the capital of the princely state of Tehri Garhwal (Garhwal Kingdom) in British India, which had an area of 4,180 square miles (10,800 km2), and a population of 268,885 in 1901. It adjoined the district of Garhwal, and its topographical features were similar. It contained the sources of both the Ganges and the Yamuna, which are visited by thousands of Hindu pilgrims. In the eighteenth century the ships of the East India Company would call at the port city of Tehri.
Construction of the Tehri Dam totally submerged the old town of Tehri, and the population was shifted to the town of New Tehri. The town is famous as the site of protests against the dam by Sundarlal Bahuguna and his followers during the Chipko movement.
As of 2001[update] India census, Tehri had a population of 25,425. Males constitute 65% of the population and females 35%. Tehri has an average literacy rate of 78%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 81%, and female literacy is 71%. In Tehri, 10% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Tehri district many options for tourists. The most visited places that are actively maintained are Devi Kunjapuri Temple, [Chandrabadani Devi], Mahasar Taal, Sehstra Taal, and Khatling Glacier. Some areas of Tehri are view-able but neglected by the [Uttrakhand] government, including Panwali Kantha, Belhbagi Bugyal, and Khait parvat. These places have the potential to attract tourists for mountaineering. The new district headquarters at New Tehri can be looked at as a future tourist spot where a spectacular view of Tehri Lake can be seen.
|Tourist Spot||Sea Level in Meters||Nearby Town||Tracking Route
(dstance from road)
|Kunjapuri||1645||Narendra Nagar||200 meters|
|Panwali Kantha||3963||Ghuttu||15 km|
|Khatling Glacier||3717||Ghuttu||45 km|
|Sahastra Tal||4572||Ghuttu, Rih||32 km|
|Khait Parvat||3030||Ghansali, Ghonti||8.5 km|
|Surkanda Devi||2757||Dhanaulti||1.5 km|
|Maithiyana Devi||2500||Tilwara, Bhardar||9 km|
Universities, Professional Institutes, and Schools in New Theri
- HNB Garhwal Centre University, Badshahi Thaul
- Sridev Suman University, Badshahi Thaul
- Govt. PG college
- THDC Institute Of Hydro Engineering, B. Puram
- College of Forestry & Hill Agriculture, Uttarakhand University of Horticulture and Forestry P.O. Ranichauri
- Sanskrit Maha Vidhlaya
- Govt. Poly Technic
- Govt, Pratap Inter College, Baurari
- Govt, Pratap Inter College, Moldhar
- Govt. Girls Inter College, Baurai
- Narendra Mahila Vidhayalay (Rajmata), B Puram
- Sarswati Vidhya Mandir, Inter College
- Kendriya Vidhyalaya
- All Saint Convent School
- Sarswati Shishu Mandir
- Govt. Girls High School
- New Tehri International School, Painula
- Bhagirathi vidhya Sarovar
- Saint Anthony School
- New Tehri Medical College (Opening Shortly)
- Rajeev Gandhi Adventure Sports Academy, Koti Colony
- Delhi Public School (Opening Shortly)
- Trihari Institute of Management Education(Hotel Management Institute), Baurari
- "The Ganga". Official Website of district Haridwar, Uttarakhand. National Informatics Centre, Haridwar District Unit. Retrieved 8 March 2010.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tehri.|
- Nagar Palika Parishad Tehri (New Tehri)
- Malgoan Ghansali New Tehri - How To Reach
- New Tehri city, Official website
- Tehri district, Official website
- New Tehri - How To Reach
- New Tehri - General Information