|• Total||13.58 km2 (5.24 sq mi)|
|• Density||2,100/km2 (5,500/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
Tekkali is a census town in Srikakulam district of the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh. It is the mandal headquarters of Tekkali mandal in Tekkali revenue division. The prominent actor Nandhamuri Taraka RamaRao represented this assembly constituency in AndhraPradesh General Legislative assembly Elections 1994.
The town derives its name from the eponymous medicinal tree. The Latin botanical name of Tekkali plant is Clerodendrum phlomides Linn. It belongs to the family Verbenacae. The Tekkali chettu (tree) is known by various alternate names too in various regions of Andhra Pradesh. For instance, it's also known by the name of Nelli (నెల్లి) from which Nellore City in Nellore district, and Nellimarla Town in Vizianagaram district are said to derive their names.
The nearest airport is the Vishakhapatnam, which is at a distance of 150 km. National Highway 5 (Chennai - Kolkata) passes through the town. It is well connected with the nearest towns of Nandigam, Palasa, Meliaputti, Chapara, Sompeta, Mandasa, Kaviti, Itchapuram, Narasannapeta, Pathapatnam, Paralakhemundi and the district headquarter Srikakulam. Tekkali is 50 km away from Srikakulam headquarter.
There is a Railway station in Tekkali. Another nearby railway station is at Naupada called Naupada Junction(NWP). Naupada Junction is 4 km from Tekkali and is accessible by autorickshaws and private bus services.
The primary and secondary school education is enabled by government, government-aided and private schools, under the School Education Department of the state of Andhra Pradesh. The medium of instruction followed by different schools are English and Telugu.
- "District Census Handbook - Srikakulam" (PDF). Census of India. pp. 26–28, 54. Retrieved 11 January 2016.
- "Srikakulam district mandals" (PDF). Census of India. The Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India. pp. 189, 214–15. Retrieved 18 May 2015.
- "Plant Details".
- "redirect to /world/IN/02/Tekkali.html".
- "Imperial Gazetteer2 of India, Volume 23, page 275 -- Imperial Gazetteer of India -- Digital South Asia Library".
- "School Education Department" (PDF). School Education Department, Government of Andhra Pradesh. Archived from the original (PDF) on 7 November 2016. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- "The Department of School Education - Official AP State Government Portal | AP State Portal". www.ap.gov.in. Archived from the original on 7 November 2016. Retrieved 7 November 2016.