|Platform(s)||Game Boy Advance|
Tekken Advance (鉄拳アドバンス Tekken Adobansu) is a fighting game released for the Game Boy Advance. It is non-canonical to the Tekken storyline, but follows the events of Tekken 3. It uses sprites based on Tekken 3's 3D models for its characters. It was the first Tekken game to be released on a Nintendo platform.
The gameplay in Tekken Advance is similar to other games in the series, but because it is on a portable system, the inputs were simplified or removed altogether. It utilizes a single-input system, with punch mapped to the A button, kick to the B button, and the left and right triggers used for tagging and throws, respectively. The game also included a side-step feature that made the game have a 3D feel similar to Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance, which was released later the same year.
Despite the simplification, Tekken Advance introduces new mechanics by implementing a wide range of "stun" variations such as "pop stuns", "crumple stuns" and right/left stuns.
- Ling Xiaoyu
- Nina Williams
- Forest Law
- Gun Jack
- Heihachi Mishima (unlockable)
- Paul Phoenix
- Jin Kazama
Tekken Advance has generally received positive reviews. It received an 8.5 out of 10 from IGN and an 8 out of 10 from GameSpot saying "It looks and feels close enough to its counterpart to succeed." GameRankings currently scores the game as 79 out of 100, and a score of 82 at Metacritic. Gamespy gave it a much more favourable score with 88 out of 100, calling it an impressive game for the Game Boy Advance. EGM gave it a mediocre score with 5.83 out of 10. Nintendo Power gave the game a 3.5 out of 5.
- Craig Harris. "Tekken Advance - Game Boy Advance Review at IGN". Gameboy.ign.com. Retrieved 2011-12-29.
- Gerstmann, Jeff (2002-01-28). "Tekken Advance Review". GameSpot.com. Retrieved 2011-12-29.
- "Tekken Advance for Game Boy Advance". GameRankings. 2002-01-28. Retrieved 2011-12-29.
- "Tekken Advance for Game Boy Advance". Metacritic. 2002-01-28. Retrieved 2016-09-02.
- Christopher Buecheler email@example.com (2008-10-20). "GameSpy.com - Reviews: Tekken Advance (GBA)". Web.archive.org. Archived from the original on October 20, 2008. Retrieved 2011-12-29.
- "Tekken Advance Reviews and Articles for Game Boy Advance". GameRankings. Retrieved 2011-12-29.
- Official website (in Japanese)