View of the Launch Terminal of Teknaf Bangladesh
|District||Cox's Bazar District|
|• Total||388.68 km2 (150.07 sq mi)|
|• Density||393/km2 (1,020/sq mi)|
|Time zone||BST (UTC+6)|
Teknaf (Bengali: টেকনাফ Ṭeknaf) is an Upazila of Cox's Bazar District in the Division of Chittagong, Bangladesh. It forms the southernmost point in mainland Bangladesh (St. Martin's Island is the southernmost point). The name of the region comes from the Naf River which forms the Eastern boundary of the upazila. It shares the border with Burma.
Teknaf is located at. It has 23, 675 households and a total area of 388.68 km². The tidal range at the Teknaf coastal area is strong influenced by the Naaf river estuary. The area has a warm tropical climate and sufficient rainfall to enable it to support a wide biological diversity.
According to the 1991 Bangladesh census, Teknaf had a population of 152,557. Males constituted 51.81% of the population, and females 48.19%. The population aged 18 or over was 64,417. Teknaf had an average literacy rate of 16.6% (7+ years), against the national average of 32.4%.
Teknaf has 6 Unions/Wards, 13 Mauzas/Mahallas, and 133 villages.
Its historical educational institutions include Teknaf Degree College,Hnilla High School, Teknaf Pilot High School, Alhaj Ali Achiya School & College, Hnilla Ideal Government Primary School and Teknaf Govt. Primary School.
Teknaf Peninsula is one of the longest sandy beach ecosystems (80 km) in the world. It represents a transitional ground for the fauna of the Indo-Himalayan and Indo-Malayan ecological sub-regions. Important habitats at the site include mangrove, mudflats, beaches and sand dunes, canals and lagoons and marine habitat. Mangrove forest occurs in Teknaf peninsula both as natural forest with planted stands and mostly distributed in the inter-tidal zone. The Teknaf peninsula mangroves supports the habitat of 161 different species of fish. Teknaf reserved forest is one of the oldest reserved forests in Bangladesh.
- Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh — primarily in Teknaf Upazila & Cox's Bazar District.
- Cox's Bazar District topics
- List of Upazilas of Bangladesh
- Upazilas of Chittagong District
- "Population Census Wing, BBS". Archived from the original on 2005-03-27. Retrieved November 10, 2006.
- Chowdhury, N. Shah Nawaz; Hossain, M. Shahadat; Das, Nani Gopal; Barua, Prabal (2010-09-25). "Environmental variables and fisheries diversity of the Naaf River Estuary, Bangladesh" (PDF). Journal of Coastal Conservation. 15 (1): 163–180. doi:10.1007/s11852-010-0130-3. Retrieved 2011-01-01.
- "Teknef forest".